Ideal Protein

Options
Is there anyone doing the Ideal Protein Diet.. If so, I would love to be friends with you...:)

Replies

• divamccombe
    divamccombe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since June...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    There are 2 people here at work (a man and a woman) that are doing this Ideal Protein plan and they look awful!!!

They are losing the weight so fast that their skin is starting to wrinkle and hang. The one lady looks depressed, seriously........

Both mentioned that they are losing it faster than me and I replied to them that at least I am not dealing with hanging and sagging skin as I am losing weight................

It is too low fat and too low calorie to be remotely healthy.
  • artzgrrl
    artzgrrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on Ideal Protein for about 5 weeks. I'm at about 13 pounds. I have followed the program and feel that the weight loss is not unusually rapid. I have one male friend who lost 40 lbs and looks fabulous. He is toned, etc. The one thing that Ideal Protein promotes is FAT loss. They monitor your LEAN BODY MASS every time you go in to weigh in. I have barely lost any muscle. I'm not so sure if the people you are referring to over 50(?). My friend and I are in our low 40's. Not as easy to lose weight as it used to be at all. I'm not so sure why some people drop weight so much faster than others, unless the people you know are truly obese???
    Out of curiosity, what reduction plan are you on? Boo hiss to them for putting down your efforts regardless! Keep up your good work. (:
  • shemac72
    shemac72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    artzgrrl, do you find the food to be completely disgusting.....or am I doing something wrong? I tried to make a pancake and it was a complete mess.
  • New_Hope
    Options
    My sister-in-law not only sells it, but she and my mother-in-law went on it and they look amazing!

I want to try it, but can't afford it, so I'm thinking about doing my own version, but substituting Atkin's or some other low carb bars/food for the IP food.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I have not heard of this diet yet - what is it all about? Is it similar to the Eades's Protein Power? I have about 90 lbs lean mass and I'm trying to go from 25-26.5% body fat to 16-18% body fat (female). Can someone explain? Is this the sort of plan for a sedentary student looking to lose the last 11-13 lbs?
  • baldchocnsexy
    Options
    We have been OP since July. My wife averages 1-2 lbs of weight loss per week, and I have clocked in at 2-7 lbs per week. The rate of loss is acceptable, but I have been told some people are a little extreme when cutting carbs (ie. less than 20g!). This is due to users going off program though.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ha! I tried to make the chocolate pancake and it turned into chocolate mush! There is a recipe for a chocolate muffin in the IP recipe book (not sure if it is vol 2 or vol3). I'm going to try that next. I find that anything chocolate tastes really good. I also like the vanilla pudding. I also like Lattes. So I've been mixing the cappuccino mix with 1-2 oz of water and then if a big mug of coffee with some sugar free caramel syrup (yum!) Good luck!
  • mnjgrimmer
    Options
    I just started Ideal Protein and would love to hear your advice and stories.
  • cinder701
    Options
    So where do I find out more about this product?
  • mnjgrimmer
    Options
    Ideal Protein.com
  • cinder701
    Options
    Any Idea how much this cost . the website isn't really saying a price which tells me it's WAY EXPENSIVE
  • ladyrayado
    ladyrayado Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Prices for Ideal Protein vary greatly as each clinic sets their own price. I got a living social deal that included 33 food packets, the drink shaker, all the paperwork and food journal, sea salt, and a week of the supplements for $99, as well as the weekly coach meeting for one year. Regular start up-costs can be as much as $500.
    The supplements cost about $100 a month (there are three, plus you have to buy omega-3 on your own).
    The food packets average about $4 a piece. If you use three a day (most do), its $84 a week. My clinic was a little more expensive and weekly food was about $95.
    Then, you have to buy all the veggies and protein.

I used IP products for two weeks, then switched to alternates. There are plenty out there, and I can give more info if you want. You can buy most at grocery stores. My weekly cost went from $95 to $30. I'm still losing an average of 3.5 pounds a week.
  • syar
    syar Posts: 5
    Options
    What would your alternatives be?
  • ladyrayado
    Options
    There are tons! I personally use EAS Advantedge Carb Control RTD shakes - you can buy them almost anywhere. I get a 4-pack for $5.99 - I usually buy four for the week, costs about $25.

I also order protein bars from shop.lindora.com - they have a few aspartame-free ones (caramel nut, caramel delight, chocolate peanut crunch). They are regularly $14 a box for 7 ($2 a piece instead of $4 with IP). However, they go on sale about once a week. The last batch I bought were 30% off - which shipping, the bars were $1.90 a piece, instead of $4. There are a ton of other products from Lindora as well - drinks, soups, puddings, that are very similar to the IP products, and cheaper.

ProtiDiet also makes similar products, shakes and bars, that can be ordered online and found at some stores. Pure Protein bars also work. I have found most Atkins' bars are higher in calories and carbs than the IP products/alternates.

I also have Isopure Zero Carb protein powder. Its 50g of protein in one serving, so I only make a half, with zero carbs. There are a ton of flavors available.

You have to check and double check all the nutritional value when using alternates. Here is an amazing thread about this topic - and it includes spreadsheets that compare similar products.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/203447-alternative-products-work-phase-1-a.html
  • ladyrayado
    Options
    There are four phases to IP. The first is used until 80-90% of your weight loss goal is achieved. It is by far the hardest and most restrictive, but you get used to it after awhile.

If you google IP phases, you'll find the descriptions of each phase, what is allowed, what to eat, etc. I can also give information on that.

Basically for phase one, you get this:

B: Coffee/tea, one protein shake or packet or bar
    L: 2 cups veggies, unlimited lettuce, one protein shake or packet or bar
    D: 6-8 ounces of lean protein, 2 cups veggies, unlimited lettuce
    S: One protein shake or packet or bar

There are only certain veggies and proteins allowed, those are outlined on the descriptions I mentioned above.

For me, my daily menu looks like this:

B: 2 cups of black tea with splenda, EAS shake or Lindora bar
    L: EAS shake, salad, 2 cups of cucumber, zuchinni, or bell pepper
    D: 7 ounces of lean protein (chicken, ground turkey, pork), 2 cups of cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, etc
    S: EAS shake

Coffee is allowed only in the mornings, only 1 cup (6oz), only with an aspartame-free sweetener, and only 1oz of skim milk in it. That's why I switched to black tea - so I can get my two full cups :-)

Bars are considered "restricted items" because of their carb count - you only get one a day. I usually have mine in the morning so I have all day to burn the excess carbs.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A pure protein diet will damage your kidneys. You have to drink enormous amounts of water to flush the toxins out.
  • ladyrayado
    Options
    More information:

Because this diet cuts out so much and is restrictive, you have to take several supplements to stay healthy. The IP ones include a multivitamin, a potassium-calcium pill, and a combined calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, vitamin D3, and zinc citrate pill (called Cal-Mag). You also have to take omega-3s.

Other daily required diet additions are:
    1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
    64oz water (minimum, I try for 80)

I usually average about 35g of carbs a day, about 15g fat, and 60-80g protein.

If anyone wants anymore information or details, just let me know I'm more than happy to share what I know and have learned. IP is restrictive and somewhat expensive, but it works if you do it right. It also has a 4-phase process, the last two designed to go from restricted back to normal eating habits - the maintenance phase. If you follow it all the way through and stick to the final phase (not return to old, bad eating habits) you will keep the weight off.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Again, another diet plan that replaces real food with supplimentation and vitamins............at the end of the day it's the deficit that creates the weight loss, not the dollars you've spent buying powder and pills. If people realized that real food offers all the nutrients and a sensible weight loss regime gets the job done. Drinking protein isn't suppling all the micronutrients that are supplied within the matrix of a whole food, hense the addition of vits and mins........save your money and eat real food.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Again, another diet plan that replaces real food with supplimentation and vitamins............at the end of the day it's the deficit that creates the weight loss, not the dollars you've spent buying powder and pills. If people realized that real food offers all the nutrients and a sensible weight loss regime gets the job done. Drinking protein isn't suppling all the micronutrients that are supplied within the matrix of a whole food, hense the addition of vits and mins........save your money and eat real food.

AMEN Brotha!

It looks like a bastardized version of Lyles RFL, but designed to pimp supplements.