K don't bite my head off for asking...

Options
I don't understand weekly net calories. For example, I had a pretty um over cal week and monday was over 250, tues under 10, weds under 78, thurs under 24, fri over 250, sat over 500....... and it says I am "93 cals under net goal" .... obviouy not true! It seemsto me that I am over 1000.... I go out a lot and I am maintaining at this point, not trying to lose, but I thought uf I can maintain weekly goals I'd be OK. Now I am confused?????? Excuse my grammar pls I'm on my iphine thanks!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    LoL..interesting words there ;)
  • mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could be over your calories for the day but then if you exercise, it lowers your net calorie intake..
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    weekly net calories is your intake calories (food you ate) minus your burned calories (ie through exercise) for the week... if you eat more during the day but burn more than you've eaten off then you'll still lose weight.

Hoping that helps, not sure if that's what you were looking for :(
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I don't keep track of "net" calories.
    I know that I burn on average 2600 calories a day, so I need to eat 1600 calories a day for my goal (2lbs a week fat loss).

So..can't you just find out your BMR and then just eat that amount of calories?

God bless!
  • ChandraC25
    Options
    Looks like you're right on track, good luck to you "tobemotivated", keep up the good work!
  • PatientBear
    Options
    I know that I burn on average 2600 calories a day, so I need to eat 1600 calories a day for my goal (2lbs a week fat loss).

God bless!

Kinda defeats the purpose of using MFP if you are basing your intake off your BMR.

For the OP, NET calories are calories consumed - calories burned. So, if you eat 2000 calories and burn 500, then your NET is 1500. Most people seem to prefer doing a daily calculation but there are those who do it weekly. The most important thing is to make sure your NET calories are equal to the target given to you by MFP, as they already factor in a deficit to help you lose weight.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I've thought it was an average for the week. I'd like to know the true answer.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chandra :)

tigerblue... I don't know how the site calculates it, but saying "average" would imply that they add everything up and divide by 7 (to give you what the average amount per day would have been)

I'm pretty sure it's just everything added up... but again, this is me assuming and you know what they say about that.... lol
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chandra :)

tigerblue... I don't know how the site calculates it, but saying "average" would imply that they add everything up and divide by 7 (to give you what the average amount per day would have been)

I'm pretty sure it's just everything added up... but again, this is me assuming and you know what they say about that.... lol

Your daily net cals (as presented on your home page at the top with "net calories") is ONLY for the day, not the week. You can get weekly reports by going to reports, but they won't give you precise numbers, just graphs.

Ideally, your net calories on home page should match (or come close to) your initial daily goal. If you're trying to get a weekly net total, you'll have to do that math yourself by taking the net at the end of each day and adding all 7 days together.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

God bless!

Kinda defeats the purpose of using MFP if you are basing your intake off your BMR.

For the OP, NET calories are calories consumed - calories burned. So, if you eat 2000 calories and burn 500, then your NET is 1500. Most people seem to prefer doing a daily calculation but there are those who do it weekly. The most important thing is to make sure your NET calories are equal to the target given to you by MFP, as they already factor in a deficit to help you lose weight.

Please help me to understand this... This is my remaining for today... This is my first week on here...
    Thanks,

Calories Remaining 990

Goal 1680

Food 1368

Exercise - 678

Net 690
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Please help me to understand this... This is my remaining for today... This is my first week on here...
    Thanks,

Calories Remaining 990

Goal 1680

Food 1368

Exercise - 678

Net 690

You should eat 1680
    You've eaten 1368

Then you exercised burning 678 calories. It means technically you have only "eaten" 690 calories today, which is too little. 1200 should be your minimum NET calories for the day.
  • PatientBear
    Options

God bless!

Thanks,

Calories Remaining 990

Goal 1680

Food 1368

Exercise - 678

Net 690

If you have 990 calories remaining, you need to eat 990 calories. Your NET is WAY too low. You should always shoot to get as close to your goal as you possibly can. It's hard to do when you have a huge calorie burn but if you plan throughout the day, it'll make it easier. Add peanut butter, milk, avocado, cheese, nuts and other calorically dense foods throughout the day to help make sure you get to your 1680. 1200 is NOT enough for you as that is almost 500 calories below your daily goal. Good luck!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't understand weekly net calories. For example, I had a pretty um over cal week and monday was over 250, tues under 10, weds under 78, thurs under 24, fri over 250, sat over 500....... and it says I am "93 cals under net goal" .... obviouy not true! It seemsto me that I am over 1000.... I go out a lot and I am maintaining at this point, not trying to lose, but I thought uf I can maintain weekly goals I'd be OK. Now I am confused?????? Excuse my grammar pls I'm on my iphine thanks!

Remember your excercise calories u burn play a role here...if u burn calories, u need to eat more, or else you'll continue to lose. U can't just look at calories uve ate..it says u under cuz u prob burned those 1000calories off
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys . I undersrand that net cals is food consumed-exercise and my net is usually within 100 of my goal unless I go over... I am never under and I always eat my exercise cals-all of them! I eat a lot. I just try to somewhat balance out over the week since I don't always stay within goal for the day. It's still confusing to me but I guess it doesn't really matter. My diary is open so you can see what I mean if you care to. I don't seee how I am under net cals for my weekly goals.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Calories Remaining 990

Goal 1680

Food 1368

Exercise - 678

Net 690

You should eat 1680
    You've eaten 1368

Then you exercised burning 678 calories. It means technically you have only "eaten" 690 calories today, which is too little. 1200 should be your minimum NET calories for the day.

Thank you so much... that makes sense... That is not my normal... We were so busy yesterday cleaning out the storage room down stairs I just wasn't hungry and really didn't think about it...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    The iphone app gives you a weekly total (average? I've not done the math. That's what it looks like. It certainly isn't cumulative). If you have access to an iphone I would highly reccommend it. It keeps me on the straight and narrow when I eat out.