Weight won't budge.

Options
I'm 5'4" and my starting weight was 138. I started working out in May and got down to 126 lbs in June. I worked my butt off in July and actually GAINED weight. I'm at 134 right now. :-\
It's driving me crazy that I eat clean and workout really hard but my body doesn't reflect that.
My diet is perfect. I don't eat any processed food, fast food, sodas, etc. Most of my meals consist of lean protein and veggies. I tried changing the duration and intensity of my cardio. Nada. The weeks go by and my weight doesn't change.
What in the world am I doing wrong?

Replies

• PatientBear
    Options
    Hard to say from that info. My guess - and this is only a guess - is that you aren't eating enough. If you don't give your body enough calories, it will hold on to as much as it can to prevent starvation. If you open up your diary, we can make a more educated response.

And by the way, GO SPURS GO!!! :)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Work out really hard? How much muscle definition have you gained as opposed to weight lost?
  • marleenmh1
    marleenmh1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have probably turned several pounds of fat into muscle. If I am not mistaken, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. So you have probably made a huge difference!
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my starting weight was 138. I started working out in May and got down to 126 lbs in June. I worked my butt off in July and actually GAINED weight. I'm at 134 right now. :-\

Probably nothing. Depending on your frame size, you could well be at ideal weight already. For a 5'4" woman the ideal weight range is anything from 114-151lb. Exercising like a crazy woman is only going to build muscle which is heavier than fat by volume. When you are active (especially if you have increased your activity level), you should be paying more attention to your measurements than what the scales say.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    I made it public (I think?)

I'm eating around 1430 cals a day. I do strength training 6x a week and high intensity cardio 3x a week.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals on what you diet/exercise routine should be. Most of the diets floating around here are more for serious fat loss than anything. If I had access to your diary I would give you more input on the subject.

Diet and exercise is a really a hard thing to pin down when you are in the lower end of the BMI spectrum.

Don't be afraid to message or add me a friend if you need help.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I made it public (I think?)

I'm eating around 1430 cals a day. I do strength training 6x a week and high intensity cardio 3x a week.

Well that's one problem I see right there. You give your body no time for rest so it can't rebuild and relax. If you are just maintaining then working out 3-4 time a week is plenty.
  • Murphk323
    Options
    @hhan

Yeah, you're right about the scale thing. Lately I've been trying to go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. I used to be more athletic and I weighed 118 lbs. I liked myself at that weight!
    After my first couple semesters at college, beer, fast food and no energy to work out made me gain weight. I feel really flabby and gross right now. My aim is to get back to 118 and I'm actually aiming to build muscle.
  • Murphk323
    Options
    Talked to a personal trainer today. She said I'm most likely gaining muscle. She also told me to throw away my scale and start measuring.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. i weigh 130lbs and can NOT lose any more. i dropped to 125 for a short time but then went back to 130. everyone tells me to eat more but this just seems like it would make me gain weight
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ok this is when i say 118 is way to skinny 135 is the perfect wait for your height and age! your a beautiful girl dont ruin it by having skin and bones :^( i am not trying to be mean hun.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    It's driving me crazy that I eat clean and workout really hard but my body doesn't reflect that.
    My diet is perfect. I don't eat any processed food, fast food, sodas, etc. Most of my meals consist of lean protein and veggies. I tried changing the duration and intensity of my cardio. Nada. The weeks go by and my weight doesn't change.
    If all you did was cardio when you first lost weight, then the chances are that you lost lean muscle in the process. When that happens your actual metabolic rate became slower. So now with less lean muscle and the weight you've regained, it takes longer duration for you to burn the calories you used to burn if you still retained that lean muscle.
    Add strength training. Lift heavy and hard. You may initially gain some weight for a week or two, but eventually that will subside and you'll see weight coming off and a much harder leaner body to boot. Works every time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You have probably turned several pounds of fat into muscle. If I am not mistaken, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. So you have probably made a huge difference!
    That wouldn't be possible on a calorie deficit. You need calorie surplus to build and gain muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Talked to a personal trainer today. She said I'm most likely gaining muscle. She also told me to throw away my scale and start measuring.
    PT is wrong. If you're in calorie deficit, then building muscle is highly unlikely.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Girl I got the same problem u do. lol in this thread I wrote my topic "Discouraged... diary help" read what ppl suggested to me and see if that also applies to you. I'm gaining muscle but not eating enough. thats my problem. lol
  • Murphk323
    Options
    ok this is when i say 118 is way to skinny 135 is the perfect wait for your height and age! your a beautiful girl dont ruin it by having skin and bones :^( i am not trying to be mean hun.

When I was 118, I had muscle!! I was NOT skin and bones.
    I gained weight and I'm really flabby. I don't want to be thin with no tone.
    My goal is to be fit, muscular and athletic...like I was at 118.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Do u remember what u did before to get muscular and toned at 118?
  • Murphk323
    Options
    If all you did was cardio when you first lost weight, then the chances are that you lost lean muscle in the process. When that happens your actual metabolic rate became slower. So now with less lean muscle and the weight you've regained, it takes longer duration for you to burn the calories you used to burn if you still retained that lean muscle.
    Add strength training. Lift heavy and hard. You may initially gain some weight for a week or two, but eventually that will subside and you'll see weight coming off and a much harder leaner body to boot. Works every time.

I hit the weights hard! Strength training is the #1 thing I do. My goal is to gain muscle but I also have some weight to lose, that's why I'm cutting my calories...
  • Murphk323
    Options
    Do u remember what u did before to get muscular and toned at 118?

absolutely nothing!! I ate fast food all the time back then also. it's just that I was very athletic. I was in gymnastics and I played bball. I was always playing sports or running around.
    I think it's just me getting older and my metabolism isn't as fast as it was.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Try being more active,l drink more water, have some green tea and increase your fiber. All of that will help speed up ur metabolism because it makes your body flush everything out. I also have fiber pills because when i first started out I had no idea of how to increase my fiber. Fiber one cereal and granola bars are good.