"If everyday were like today you'd weigh X in 5 weeks"

Options
Has anyone ever kept track to see if it's really true? I kind of think it might be bunk, that weight loss isn't that linear and predictable. But maybe I'm wrong, hence this inquiry.

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    ticks me off everytime!
  • marleenmh1
    marleenmh1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha, I will let you know in five weeks! :-)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You can't really say unless you eat and do the exact samething for 5 weeks. I haven't seen anybody do it EXACT yet. So far the numbers only varies by 1/ 2 pounds. If you do it Exact everyday for 5 weeks let us know.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    That thing has such a wide variable!!!!! One day it tells me I will be 108 pounds and the next 128 pounds. Well, here I am 5 weeks later and nowhere near either one of those weights!!! :) Bunk if you ask me!
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any truth to them so far lol I kinda ignore them :-/
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's like the crossing light button......just something to push. :-)
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me it's been pretty accurate. It said I'll be 12 lbs less in 5 weeks and I've been losing about 10 lbs per month. For others...not so much. It really depends on a lot of factors - how much you have to lose and the consistency of your efforts mostly.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it for one second. If I am under my calories EVERY single day - how can it say I will weigh MORE than I weigh now in 5 weeks?

That doesn't make any sense to me (I actually commented to my daughter about this tonight when I closed out my diary with 90 calories left and it said I would weigh 4lbs MORE in 5 weeks if I kept eating this way... huh?).

I disregard it to be honest.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    In theory is accurate using basic math principles. It takes your current weight, the food consumption for the day, and the exercise done for the day and says if you do the EXACT same thing (calories consumed, calories burned, fiber, carbs, etc.) each day for the next five weeks ... you will weight this amount. That is why everyday it gives you a different number because it calculates it by what you did only for that day. It is supposed to help motivated you and show you that if you stay focused and do what your doing now.. this is what the results will be ... it can also show you how poor eating habits, and lack of exercise will also cause you not to progress.
  • Ayonce
    Ayonce Posts: 2
    Options
    They always get me SOOOO excited like ooo i'm going to be really small in 5 weeks but, that's not the case. I still enjoy the optimism it gives me though, it really makes me want to try harder.
  • danckuntz
    danckuntz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie in take is pretty consistent and after close to 2 months on the program it's estimation is pretty close. Remember that message is true if the next 35 days you have the same calorie input and output. Just my brief experience.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For the last week it's been within 2 lbs every day, so I have been fairly consistant.

Troops, I am going to keep track and report back. Even though my gut says it's bunk . . .
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the predictions have been VERY accurate for me, but then i am quite consistent each day.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    It's like the crossing light button......just something to push. :-)

Haha, but it's true.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You can't really say unless you eat and do the exact samething for 5 weeks. I haven't seen anybody do it EXACT yet. So far the numbers only varies by 1/ 2 pounds. If you do it Exact everyday for 5 weeks let us know.

My thoughts exactly... weight loss isn't linear BECAUSE we don't do the same exact thing every single day.... and in all fairness, the statement says "if everyday were like today".... which it never will be, unless you're ok with being bored witless for 5 weeks (at least I would be, if every single day was exactly the same :|)
  • tavery3700
    tavery3700 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, One time I moved ahead five weeks and put that weight in the note box.

When I got to that date I was that weight. It was a big shock.

I only did it one time. Try it and see for yourself.
  • Skywirelynx
    Options
    I haven't checked it out. It changes every day too. It might be nice to have the option of a secondary tracker that would monitor intermediate goals like this. I think it's intended to be an encouragement, but after a while it starts to just be annoying since the comparison is always 5 weeks away.
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't believe it for one second. If I am under my calories EVERY single day - how can it say I will weigh MORE than I weigh now in 5 weeks?

That doesn't make any sense to me (I actually commented to my daughter about this tonight when I closed out my diary with 90 calories left and it said I would weigh 4lbs MORE in 5 weeks if I kept eating this way... huh?).

I disregard it to be honest.

It actually is possible IF you are not consuming enough calories to keep your body going and thus the body begins to conserve the fat because it believes it is starving. This would depend on how much you are under and how often you do this.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i agree that it's just a math calculation and should be motivating but not taken TOO seriously. i've actually considered entering a "fake" entry one day where i did 30495734 calories of exercise and only had a diet coke, just to see if it would be like "if everyday were like today you'd weigh -46lbs in 5 weeks"

;)
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is a little bit of encouragement there but yeah, I think it is mostly a lot of hot air. I laugh when I see what it has to say most of the time and yet I'm always eager to see what it's going to say at the same time, go figure. The funniest is when I have had a not so great day and it still tells me I would have lost like 15 pounds or something, Man if that were true I'd be able to eat that same crud every day and still lose weight, Yea! Luckily I am not that easily fooled :)