Maintaining Current Weight - Exercise Calories

Options
OK I've reached my goal weight of 147lbs and just like to keep it there!

I know there are many posts on whether you should eat exercise calories but not yet found one that specifically answers my question although I'm sure it is there somewhere!

My BMR is 1530 calories.

I do CV work outs normally 5 times a week so put myself in the active category. My job is sedentary but I have factored in my exercise work outs to calculate my daily allowance. Maybe this is where I have went wrong!

So MFP calculates my daily needs as 2210 calories. (It would have been 1900 if I had selected sedentary) So my lifestyle (including those workouts) mean I need an additional 680 calories per day to maintain my weight. Let us assume for arguments sake that 310 (2210-1900) of those calories come from a daily workout.

Simply put why should I eat those 310 workout calories on top of my 2210 when already MFP has essentially accounted for them in calculating my daily needs?

Regards.

Dave

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well you'vr already factored in your exercise calories, then.

No need to log them, or eat them.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    here is the safest and most honest answer..no one here knows..

what you have to do is figure it out for yourself. everyones body is different. you just need to experiment a bit and see what happens. then go from there.

start off only eating those 2210 cals and workout as normal..dont eat back..and see what happens..
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    You've lost me here. Are u saying you are sedentary and then adding on your exercise calories on top? Or have you chosen lightly active/ active as your activity level? If you have alread factored in your workouts as part of your activity level then you dont need to log your exercises!

Maintainance is tricky. Ive been maintaining for 4.5 months now and initially i kept losing weight. I reset my target range, started to eat more and now have a 5lb leeway. Try upping your calories and see what happens. If you keep losing you need to eat more. No straightforward answers- its about trying to maintain a lifelong plateau! What works for me might not work for you. Check out the maintainance thread too. loads of us on there!

oh and congratulations on reaching maintainance
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OK thanks for the replies.

I have changed my category to lightly active and will therefore add my exercise calories to MFP.

My daily maintenance target is now 2050 (net), which is easily achievable giving my current exercise regime. In fact, I may have some trouble on work days actually reaching that target!

I'll review often to determine how it works out for me.