Exercise every day or take a day off?

Options
Do I need a day off from my exercise routine or should I workout every day?
I workout on the weekdays and have been pushing myself on the weekends (specially Sundays) for feeling guilty for taking a day off. I also fear that if I don't exercise on the weekends I won't be able to stay in my daily calorie goal (not enough calories without the exercises). Sometimes I feel a little tired and stiff and could use a lazy day, but I end up being obsessed and feeling bad for not exercising.
What do you think?

Replies

• livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You need to have a rest day.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I need to take at least one rest day in the week. If I don't, I get sick!

And going over calories?? Just make sure you stay within maintenance.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about technical answers, but what I do is workout every day - VERY hard cardio 6 days of the week, 3 days of strength training (never two in a row), and will just go for a walk on my "rest" day.

If I ever have a day off, I end up telling myself it is ok to have 2 off and then 3 and 4 etc. So this is just what I do. :)
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, if you are working out hard 6x/week, then yes, you should rest..especially if you are having stiffness...that doesn't mean slouching on the couch all day on your rest day..i would take that day to do full body stretching, foam rolling, or yoga. just move around, walk, do chores, prepare your meals for the week, etc.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need a day off! Your body needs time for repair and recovery. If you are feeling guilty about time off, on your 'off' day engage in what is called 'active rest'. Go for a stroll around the neighbourhood or some other light level of activity. Best of luck!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You need to have a rest day to let your muscles heal. If you don't, you'll cause an injury like a sprain or a muscle tear. It's okay to walk every day but you shouldn't do a vigorous workout every day.
  • Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    I workout for 40 minutes of cardio everyday. I don't know why people say you NEED a rest day when you really don't, that's just your own experience.
  • 60robert
    Options
    Taking a day off, helps, as long as u don't go too far off ur program. It helps to break it up.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Recently went to Dr. for annual check-up, Dr. asked how often I worked out, I said 5-6 days a week, he said I should try and exercise everyday for my heart....no problems just his advice.
  • Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    You need to have a rest day to let your muscles heal. If you don't, you'll cause an injury like a sprain or a muscle tear. It's okay to walk every day but you shouldn't do a vigorous workout every day.

I haven't had a sprain or anything...?
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I rest on Sundays.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I heard taking a day of rest helps ur muscles recover. I'm doing p90x and they have a day every week of rest or just stretching to help muscles recovver from the previous workouts the other 6 days that week.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    I like to work out every day, but I vary my intensity and what I do. I always have light work out days. One or two a week. Like yesterday I just went for a walk and then did some light stretching. It's probably not a great idea to go b^lls to the wall everyday. Besides, if you do you're more likely to feel burnt out and give up- and you don't want that :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    People that workout at a decent intensity will need a day off.

You're showing signs of overtraining, so a rest day, or even better an active rest day to eliminate the stiffness is a must
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i try and do some form of exercise every day. I do zumba and boot camp classes four days a week and try to at least ride bike or do a exercise video the other days. My body craves exercise so i give it what it wants!
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    I think it depends on how hard you are working out. You said you feel stiff and sore then a day off may not be a bad idea. I agree to not make it a couch day though. I clean my whole house and sometimes take me dog for a walk in the woods on my day off. I work out pretty hard n the other 6 days a week so I can feel when I need a day off.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options

I haven't had a sprain or anything...?

If you're doing cardio AND strength every day, it can cause an injury. Doing strength exercises a few days in a row will hurt you. I work at a gym, I see this stuff happen all the time, lol. I'm not saying that you have to sit around and do nothing on these days, but just to tone down the workout to let your muscles recover.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks for all the replies!

Usually M-W-F I do light cardio and weight training. Tuesdays cardio and Pilates, Thursdays just cardio. In the weekend I've been doing some cardio (Jillian Michaels workouts) for 45 minutes tops. I've been doing this routine for 4 months now.

I feel that when I'm sore exercising helps me loosen up the muscles and gives me more energy. No sprains so far, I had a little knee pain in the beggining when I started running, but solved it with better shoes, more stretch and glucosamine.

Exercise has also become an scape for stress and anxiety, maybe that's why I crave it so much. I'm almost at my goal weight, but would like to improve the body fat % and fine tune.