will i gain?

i am 5'7 and am stuck at 130lbs no matter what i do. i posted a message before inviting people to look at my log and tell me what they thought the problem was. most people told me i am not eating enough. I am scared though that because i have been eating and exercising in the same matter for so long that if i start to eat more i am going to GAIN weight instead of losing. HELP

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    You are fixating on the scale. STOP IT!

Now that we have that cleared up;

1. Eat a real breakfast.
    2. Take your protein after a work out, within 30 minutes.
    3. Try not to skip so many meals.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Eating more to lose weight doesn't make sense and scares people but it works. Increase you calories just like 300-500 calories. Give it a two week trial, if you gain, move you calories down a bit.
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member
    I don't want to sound out of line but 5'7 130 is normal range. You really don't have any weight to lose. You should work on just toning.
  • I don't want to sound out of line but 5'7 130 is normal range. You really don't have any weight to lose. You should work on just toning.

I have to agree with this. I am 5'6" and my goal weight is 142. I could probably go a bit lower and will re-evaluate once I get there. But at 5'7" and 130, you probably need to focus more on toning up, not the number on the scale.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    I don't want to sound out of line but 5'7 130 is normal range. You really don't have any weight to lose. You should work on just toning.

I agree (but I am not trying to say you shouldn't lose weight b/c it's your body, your decision) and if your BMI is healthy for your height and weight, its much harder to lose weight. I'm at the high end of my BMI and want to get to the middle and its still difficult. You just have to keep trying and remember that it will be dfficult. Also, do not cut back on calories, this will slow down your metabolism makeing it even harder to lose lbs.
    If you are doing more physical workouts, you might also be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so the number on the scale won't move much. Try to look less at the scale and more at how you look in the mirror. If you weigh yourself once a week or more, try going to every 2 weeks.

Hope this was helpful and good luck!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member

I agree (but I am not trying to say you shouldn't lose weight b/c it's your body, your decision) and if your BMI is healthy for your height and weight, its much harder to lose weight. I'm at the high end of my BMI and want to get to the middle and its still difficult. You just have to keep trying and remember that it will be dfficult. Also, do not cut back on calories, this will slow down your metabolism makeing it even harder to lose lbs.
    If you are doing more physical workouts, you might also be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so the number on the scale won't move much. Try to look less at the scale and more at how you look in the mirror. If you weigh yourself once a week or more, try going to every 2 weeks.

I appreciate all of the input. My goal weight is 120lbs. i only want to lose because i am not happy with my stomach. i want it to be flat and i tend to lose (and gain) all of my weight there so i figure if i lose another ten lbs i will be happier with my stomach as i have weighed less when i was younger and was satisfied with how i looked. any ideas on how to tone my stomach then? i do situps and hip hop abs as well as zumba the treadmill and weightlifting
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Sit usp will help but only the front-upper abs. Try planks and side crunches (get into a push-up position but instead of going down, bring you right knee as close to your shoulder as possible.1 rep is 15, do 2-3 reps at first then add one each time till you get to 5 reps.) The lower abs are a little tricker...one of the best ways is to sit on a box, milk crate, etc. and bring your knees up to you chest using only your lower muscles to do so. When you lower feet, do not touch them to the ground and make sure you keep you back almost completely straight. Make sure you do not go to fast or your muscles will not benifit much. Do 2 reps of 15 and work your way up to 4-5.
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member

I appreciate all of the input. My goal weight is 120lbs. i only want to lose because i am not happy with my stomach. i want it to be flat and i tend to lose (and gain) all of my weight there so i figure if i lose another ten lbs i will be happier with my stomach as i have weighed less when i was younger and was satisfied with how i looked. any ideas on how to tone my stomach then? i do situps and hip hop abs as well as zumba the treadmill and weightlifting

It sounds like your doing all the right things for toning. It just takes time. The stomach is the hardes area to lose
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    I agree. Your weight/height seems great to me. I think focusing more on regular meals with healthy snacks. Plus maybe add some HEAVY lifting to add more muscle and definition.
    -seems like you eat a lot of peanut butter some days??? I usually try to eat only 1 serving/day or every other day
    -maybe watch sugar, keep it under 30g (except for fruit 1-2 servings/day) I think that is one of the keys to getting the stomach that you want
    -try to eat protein with each meal and snack
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member

I disagree. We are all different. Not every 5'7", 130 pounder is the same. We carry our weight in different areas. I am 5'7", also currently at 130lbs and I KNOW my body type and have been at 120lbs before and that is when I looked best.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    What is wrong with 130? As long as you are eating healthy and exercising you should be good. What do you want to weigh? If you eat enough your body will continue to lose. You cant starve yourself..does more harm than good. Make sure you get breakfast in and eat the recoomend calories. good luck
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    What is wrong with 130? As long as you are eating healthy and exercising you should be good. What do you want to weigh? If you eat enough your body will continue to lose. You cant starve yourself..does more harm than good. Make sure you get breakfast in and eat the recoomend calories. good luck

my goal weight is 120lbs. i am usually under my calories for the day and people tell me i need to eat more to lose but i am worried i will gain
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    I am 5 4 and am 119 (and have good muscle definition). To lose more I'd have to starve myself, which makes me think that 119 is probably light enough for me.

In terms of stomach, need to cut out all refined carbs and all sugar. Protein (proper protein, not dairy!) at every meal.
    Plus lots of toning exercises.

What is your body fat %?