Did you lose your insulation?

So, I'm wondering if this is a unique to me experience or if anyone else is going through this. I've always been the type to catch a chill I can't shake and go through a shiver fit and when I feel hot I'm already in the early stages of heat stroke. Since I've lost 45lbs of insulation it seems it takes just the slightest change in temperature to set me off now. Yesterday I was fine outside as long as I stayed out of the direct sun, but every time I went inside I was freezing. I'd be throwing on extra clothes and looking for blankets.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a phase or can I expect the New World to be like this? lol

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Oh God yes. It's driving me nuts. I'm "camping" right now in a vacation rental cabin (somebody's house on a lake really) and we have a lot of metabolisms to accommodate. I was wearing three tee-shirts under a sweater, a pair of yoga pants with jeans over top and two pairs of socks.. essentially everything in my suitcase. I was only saved by a big fluffy bathrobe that the owners of the cabin left here for guests.

I'm guessing it's blood pressure, because mine's now 90/60 (which my doc assures me is normal) but I'd really like to know if I'm going to be stuck with this.

I am now convinced hell is cold, not hot.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    I use to sweat all the time. It didn't matter if it was ten degrees outside if i exerted myself at all i sweated. In the past month i have seen drastic changes, the heat does not bother me at all anymore. I still sweat but not like i use to. I use to never get cold, I am having some issues. I am loosing my insulation I guess i will have to start leaving a sweater at work.
  • A couple of years ago when I was really fit I had this issue. You just need to learn to wear a sweater or something. The great thing is there is less bulk in the winter wardrobe!
  • Mirabilis
    I'm thinking learning to wear a sweater isn't the issue when you're wearing four layers of clothing in a house with a thermostat that reads 72 degrees F :p

There are lots of threads on this forum about this problem, so it's common. Try looking at this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/

At least it's a clue... now... what to do about it... I'm thinking it might be time to add 100 cal/day and see if it helps.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I use to sweat all the time. It didn't matter if it was ten degrees outside if i exerted myself at all i sweated. In the past month i have seen drastic changes, the heat does not bother me at all anymore. I still sweat but not like i use to. I use to never get cold, I am having some issues. I am loosing my insulation I guess i will have to start leaving a sweater at work.

I'm the same, I no longer suffer from heat and humidity and recover from overheating much quicker. I'm not really suffering from the cold, though, unless I'm unwell. So definitely a change, but a change for the good for me.

I've lost nearly 50 pounds, and have about 8 or 9 to go.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I was just telling my step-mom that very thing yesterday. I am actually cold!! I am losing my padding. I might have to wear a coat this winter.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    I was always hot natured until I dropped some weight, and now I'm quick to adjust the thermostat up!
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    It's not just losing insulation... I had the same problem, and went to my doctor with it. She said i' ve been so cold because 1) lost insulation 2) since I weigh less, It's less work to move my body, so I produce less heat & 3) our body produces heat when we digest food... Less calories = less heat... It made me feel a lot better knowing there was a reason and that I wasn't just goin crazy... But I do get a lot if strange looks goin out in texas summer in a sweater... Lol she also said it should go back to normal 18-24 months after my weight stabilizes...
  • I look forward to it!
  • Mirabilis
    Protein helps generally, especially if it's hot. I'm drinking a ton of hot tea these days too, which helps with the hands and feet.

Hmmm... [edit] maybe I'll also get a thermometer and see if I've joined the ranks of the undead...
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    YES!!!! I used to be HOT all the time. It was miserable. Now I have to carry a sweater around with me all the time, even when its 110 degrees outside, I still get so cold when I go into different stores. It actually feels so good to come out into the heat after being inside cold places, well, cold to me anyway. I had our air conditioner set on 83 one day and still had to put on pants and a sweater. I guess its good for our electric bill, but I hope I am not making everyone else miserable by keeping the thermostat set so high! Luckily my hubby and little boy are slightly cold natured too! Glad to know I am not the only one. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me! :)
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Most definitley...my husband thinks I am crazy. I use to be hot all the time and want the a/c or a fan on (this was winter time even. Now it is 75 degrees outside or in the house and he has the a/c on and I am bundled up to my neck with blankets. I am happy don't get me wrong as I would much rather be cold then hot but he keeps telling me "This is going to be a fun Winter I can see". Oh well we will persevere :)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Thanks everyone. I feel less like an odd duck. I'm already carrying cardigans, sweaters, jackets, and blankets. lol