body fat %

Options
Do you know yours?? And if so, how do you know what it is??? I have a fancy scale that does it, but I don't trust it. Plus, it told me I was 26.2% body fat when I weighed 128, but then told me today 27% body fat at 125.5#. I don't belong to a gym, so I don't have a trainer that could do it for me.

Replies

• ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    lol unfortunately i do know mine. its says 45.3%, which i think is fairly true since i do have an apple shape
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Do you know yours?? And if so, how do you know what it is??? I have a fancy scale that does it, but I don't trust it. Plus, it told me I was 26.2% body fat when I weighed 128, but then told me today 27% body fat at 125.5#. I don't belong to a gym, so I don't have a trainer that could do it for me.
    That sounds a little high.
    Mine is 16% at 126lbs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft5, 126 pounds and mine is 26.7% according to my scales... obviously i have v little bones, v little muscles, and the rest is fat....! :(
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron handheld monitor that I got from amazon for under $30. The thing about the handheld ones is that you can still have fluctuations based on if you've exercised recently, how hydrated you are, etc - just like the scales. If you're consistent in when you do it though, it's good for showing overall trends. It says my BF is currently 21.4%. When I started MFP in May I was at 25.5%, and when I joined my gym about 18 months ago I was at 28%.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How do you know your %??? Did someone check it for you? Did you check it yourself?? Calipers, digital technology???
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and according to my scales i'm 24.3% at 128lbs. they seem to be relatively consistent
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How do you know your %??? Did someone check it for you? Did you check it yourself?? Calipers, digital technology???
    My bootcamp instructor checks it for me using calipers. Says it's the most accurate way.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that measures body fat and body water. It says 23%. I have an Omron Handheld body fat analyzer. It says between 18.5%-19.5%. They aren't completely accurate but the Omron is more consistent and I've seen this used in gyms and doctor's offices. They both have been steadily dropping, little by little but I go with the Omron - I like the number better - I'm 5'2" and 111.6lbs. So around 20% seems realistic to me and I'm not skinny-fat at all (skinny-fat is skinny but little lean muscle mass so bf% will be higher - you see this a lot in anorexics because the the amount of lean muscle they lose from severe calorie restriction and excessive cardio exercise. Excessive cardio can stop fat loss in its tracks and cause muscle loss due to the stress to the body - especially when combined with a calorie restriction and when you aren't that overweight to begin with). I wouldn't read too much into the number but they are great tools for measuring progress.

And our bf% will vary throughout the day and from day to day.
  • sportysmurf
    Options
    I get mine measured at the gym every month. Im 101 lbs and have 18.2% BF.