how much exercise and how often

Options
how much is a good amount of exercise and how often should it be done?
i go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week while im there i do 30 to 40 mins of cardio and then the resistance equipment, how can i improve on this for the best weight loss results and fitness levels ??? all ideas welcome

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    MFP is geared for weight loss without exercise, that is why we need to eat some of our exercise calories back or it slows our weight loss down.

Exercise should be geared to how you want to eat. Muscle burns more calories, improves joint strength and balance so it has it's own benefits. I personally do at least 5 days a week ranging from 30 to 60 minutes or more.

PS The more you exercise the more you want to exercise!
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think 3 - 4 times a week for gym is fine, that's what I aim for.

But you can do other things in the meantime... just a simple walk does chop off some calories. So I try to go for a wander if I get time.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym about 5-6 days a week and work out anywhere from 40 minutes to 90 minutes. She is right though, the more you work out, the more you want to work out...
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    MFP is geared for weight loss without exercise, that is why we need to eat some of our exercise calories back or it slows our weight loss down.

Exercise should be geared to how you want to eat. Muscle burns more calories, improves joint strength and balance so it has it's own benefits. I personally do at least 5 days a week ranging from 30 to 60 minutes or more.

PS The more you exercise the more you want to exercise!

What she ^ said ;)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A tip I found on here: do your resistance training first to add burn to your cardio.

Also, invest in a heart rate monitor. I can't imagine staying on track without one!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It's not just how much you exercise, the intensity really does count. If you can get some good high intensity interval training in (if you go to intervaltraining.net, there's a lot of great workouts there) 3-4X a week, you should be good to go. You have to really watch "eating back" your exercise calories. We often over-estimate calorie burn from exercise and under-estimate how much we're eating. Good luck to you in getting healthy! :o
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    3-4 times a week is good. I would only suggest mixing up your routine from time to time. try a warm up on the treadmill for 10-15 min then go train with weights then come back and do15-20 min of treadmill. If your using machine weight try different machines. or even better if your at a gym there are many qualified people who can provide you with a good rountine
  • OUWannaBee2013
    OUWannaBee2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I honestly think what you are doing is good. I walk the dog everyday at 3.0 mph and try to get all my steps. I walk her two times a day for an hour. During the week I add a step class twice a week and try to hit the weight resistant equipment if I am not to exhausted.

To me, the answer is consistency(sp?) . If you are consistent,(sp?) see what the measurements are in a month and a half. I always have to give it a month to a month and a half. (I usually have anice motivating surprise) I figure I am waking my body up and getting myself in my exercise groove again.

Take vitamins!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I do a 20-mintue sprint interval once every 7-10 days. I do basic moves: pull-ups, push-ups, squats, lunges, overhead press and plank using bodyweight maybe once a week - do them until I can't do anymore. And I just try and stay active some days. And I stay away from excessive "chronic" cardio. Excessive cardio just stresses the body.

I learned when I cut the carbs (and cut the grains, beans, flours, sugars, and milk) and upped my fat intake instead of worrying about calories I didn't need to exercise as much to lose weight and get fit. Plus body composition is about 80% diet so I no longer eat food from a box. I eat veggies, some berries, nuts, seeds, and lots of meat, fish and fat. When I switched over to this way I almost doubled my weight loss in half the time with less exercise. Muscle definition started showing up, I lost my belly fat - this was the one thing that didn't go away the first 6 months of my journey. And all of this happened at 120.4lbs (I'm 5'2"). A healthy weight. I am now 111.6lbs - I have never weighed this in my adult life.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-many-calories-does-muscle-really-burn-and-why-its-not-about-calories-anyway/#more-22548