Cottage Cheese

Options
outtanms
outtanms Posts: 237 Member
Ok I have never eaten this stuff before, simply because it looks nasty, but I read somewhere that it is good for you and low in calories so I bought some today.

My question is.....what do you eat it with? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Dani

Replies

• trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese just plain with nothing. But I also enjoy it with fruit especially pineapple. It's really good on salads as well rather than dressing.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    chopped celery with pepper and a tid of salt =]
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    *gasp*
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Its actually really lovely! You can eat it in a jacket / sweet potato instead of normal cheese.

I ate it on a salad today with mackeral and lettuce. You can add to a normal sandwich as well, just add salad / ham / tuna whatever you normally put in your sandwich.
  • ashheart
    ashheart Posts: 17
    Options
    A lot of people put fruit with it, apparently it's really good with pineapple. I like it as is, or on my salad. I love cottage cheese mmm sooo freaking good.
  • xcmom
    xcmom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love it mixed with any type of fruit. I also put it on salads or I just eat it plain with pepper on it.
  • agirl11
    agirl11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's quite good with a yogurt of your choice!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I love low fat cottage chesse with cut up tomatoes and some salt and pepper...or with peaches...pineapple especially...or just plain, it really is good for you and yummy to boot!
  • Magic_Girl
    Magic_Girl Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't like it alone. The only thing I eat with it that I truly enjoyed eating it with is Melba Toast! I can't get enough of cottage cheese and Melba toast. I love it! :)
  • auba2004
    auba2004 Posts: 12
    Options
    It is awesome with pineapple or peaches!!!! peaches and cottage cgeese is my favorite!!! =)
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Cottage Cheese with Chive. The chive gives it that extra flavor. Have a 1/4 cup of that with some carrots and you have a delicious light and healthy snack! :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I like it plain or with fruit.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    All the above suggestions plus....applesauce (unsweetened) and a dash of cinnamon
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My go to food with cottage cheese is pineapple. I have half a cup of cottage cheese with a quarter of a cup of pineapple tidbits packed in juice with no sugar added. If I remember correctly it comes in at around 125 calories it's awesome!
  • dhwatts
    dhwatts Posts: 32
    Options
    I like it with Pineapple, or pears, or on celery as a snack with a little salt and pepper. It is also good on a salad,or a couple saltines if your diet permits, it is also good with canteloupe, or stuffed into a tomato!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Well for one, I think the 1% fat cottage cheese tastes SOOO much better than the whole fat, and better for you. My favorite way to eat it is with a sprinkle of pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It's salty and tangy and yummy :) I had mine today with pineapple tidbits. Also good with sugar free strawberry preserves. :)
  • JanaBethSLP
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with cinnamon. It's also great with just about any kind of fruit! I found some 100 calorie packs at wal-mart that come with cottage cheese and fruit toppings.
  • jojojugs
    Options
    It's one of the best food option i can choose.
    Jacket potato with cottage cheese and smoked salmon and salad on the side.. yum yum.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I love to turn it into a salad instead! A little bit of lettuce as a bed, then mix the cottage cheese with broccoli, red bell pepper, olives, AVOCADO, some cherry tomatoes and a little garlic powder and cracked pepper. Then put it on the lettuce and enjoy! YUM!!!! Or like others have said, it's really good with crushed pineapple, or the pineapple tidbits for a sweet/tart breakfast treat. Just be careful with reading your labels though. I find most cottage cheese is very high in sodium; about 400mg for a 1cup serving. Yikes! But, it is healthy for you.

Also I like to use it in my hot pasta dishes. It makes a great subsititute for riccota in lasagna or a casserole and is also good mixed with some herbs and sauteed onions and mushrooms and stuffed into a large shell and topped with fresh chunky tomato marinara. :)

Also you can mix it with a little bit of bluecheese (or ranch if you prefer), garlic powder and shredded cucumber and it makes a great party dip for veggies/ toasted pita chips!

Hope this gives you some ideas. Enjoy! Here's to healthy eating. :drinker:
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's a good sub on a jacket potato (as previously suggested); I also like it on toast. I prefer the flavoured varieties - with chives & onion or pineapple, or sweet chilli & pepper.

It is an excellent source of calcium.