Anyone have a good recipe for a black bean burger?

Options
capNramsey
capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
I recently found out I liked black bean burgers. I know I can buy them in the store, but does anyone have a good recipe for a black bean burger? Thanks!

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Spicy Black Bean Cakes
    Ingredients
    Lime Sour Cream:
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream or fat free
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, minced salt to taste

Bean Cakes:
    2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    salt and black pepper to taste
    2 cups grated raw sweet potato
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs

Directions
    To prepare lime sour cream, mix the sour cream, lime juice, 1 small minced jalapeno, and salt together in a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate.
    Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook green onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
    Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. Divide into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
    In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.
    Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. Serve with lime sour cream.

Yummmmmmmmm!!!
    Enjoy!!!
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    That sounds really good actually and I have a bunch of cans of black beans in my cupboard!!! Thanks for sharing that recipe!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread - I love black beans and the burgers too...gonna bookmark this page!
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good actually and I have a bunch of cans of black beans in my cupboard!!! Thanks for sharing that recipe!

No problem and you can always leave out the salt...I do and you don't even miss it. Hope you enjoy!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to mine. I use flax to hold them together instead of bread since I am allergic to wheat.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1488480
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to go to the grocery store and make some!
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My mom sent this to be last week she got this from Sara Lee :

Ingredients
    1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
    2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
    2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    4 hamburger rolls
    Optional Toppings:
    1 tomato, sliced
    4 small Romaine lettuce leaves, or any other type you have on hand
    1/4 cup ketchup
    Directions
    Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.

In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.

Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.

Reserve 1/3 of the black bean mixture for Round 2 Recipe. Divide remaining mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through. Toast hamburger buns on a grill. Place a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with lettuce, tomato and ketchup. Cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.

Use the leftovers from this recipe in Black Bean Enchiladas.