Eat back workout calories?

Options
I was wondering if I should be eating back my workout calories? I eat around 1200 cals a day, and then i add in my exercise which is about 300-500 calories burnt so it brings down my calories anywhere from 700-900. So if I burn 300 calories should i then be eating 1500 calories a day because that is 300 calories over 1200. Or should i just eat my 1200 calories and not worry about it? Thanks!

Replies

• mamajess82
    Options
    Yes, eat them back (if you're full don't, obviously) but I'm convinced they "taste" better! :)
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Everyone will give you a different answer and it's about what works for you.

The logic is that MFP already has you set at the needed deficit for you to lose weight, so if you burn extra through exercise you should eat them back - this keeps your body happy and full and getting all the nutrients you need from lots of delicious food and prevents your metabolism from slowing down.

I wouldn't personally suggest eating back ALL of your exercise calories though as MPF doesn't take in to account you'd burn x cals in an hour any way. So if your HRM says you've burnt 500 cals in an hour, but you naturally burn 100 in an hour you've only really burned an extra 400 cals - I hope that makes sense.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My opinion is YES, however, others will have a different opinion.
    Check out here for lots of threads on this topic
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
    It's in my signature. Seriously, lots of good reading there.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I only saw a change when I did not eat them all back. I may have gone an extra 100 calories over, but that's it....
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I would suggest upping your calories and eating them back. so if your at 1200, which also is the minimum level where your body goes into starvation mode. then you burn lets say 400 then your net calories will be 900. starvation mode is where your body is not getting enough calories and other nutrients and stores it as fat , not enough fuel.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.gif
  • parris1164
    Options
    I think it all depends on how many extra there are left .... most of the time I may take a small advantage of having them, just something lite but I don't go all out and use them up ... I think I do better when I don't use them but it does feel good to know that you earn them...hope this helps ya and good luck on your journey
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.gif

LOL
  • RunTLS
    RunTLS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of back and forth on this. I'm not right now but if I plateau, it seems to be a good way to get over them. I would say if you're hungry, use them. If you're not, then don't :) Just listen to your body, it should tell you what it needs!