Vegetarian: Now or later?

Options
So i want to become vegetarian. For animal cruelty reasons and health reasons. Should i start now? I still live with my parents and they would probably kill me if i stopped eating meat, because they love it so much. Or should i start later when i am at college and wont have to listen to them about my dietary choices. I dont eat alot of meat either. Just alittle bit at a time so they dont flip about me not eating. And i dont eat any sea food at all. So any tips from vegertarians on this site? Or just anyone who knows what i can do?

Replies

• muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ask my friend kandipie...she's a vegetarian! She's here on MFP...
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    How long until you are in college?

I think you should talk to your parents. They don't have to be the enemy. I think you can have a mature conversation about your food choices. I would tell them exactly what you told us. You really want to be a vegetarian but you don't want to offend them and that you are going to do it when you are in college anyway, so if they supported you now then that would be really helpful and appreciated.
  • glmeyer
    glmeyer Posts: 7
    Options
    Your parents will probably have an opinion (and will tell you) about it whether or not you are living with them. Do you plan on never eating with them again? Might as well get it over with. If you want to do this for you, they maybe won't like it, but will hopefully understand. I was once a vegetarian (did it for about 2 years until pregnancy and my lack of iron absorption made me go back to it) and my parents rolled their eyes and questioned my choices at first, but eventually got used to it and even came to support me eventually. They still make some meat-free dinners because they realized you don't need to eat meat all the time. Just be patient and explain yourself and just maybe they will be able to learn something from you. Good luck!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 16, still living with my parents, and while they wouldn't cook for me, or anything, and I resent them for hardly ever being accommodating of my healthier lifesttyle, I lost most of my weight post decision, and Still am one. It's really not as hard as one might think. I'm not sure on your protein goals, and macros, but for me personally I have to supplement with protein powder. Which isn't the cheapest.
    It is a slight challenge when people want to eat out, as you don't think about how non-filling a bowl of lettuce without meat is, or how most rices have chicken broth in them, and you make mistakes, like bacon or ham hidden in baked beans etc, but you learn eventually. I'd say go for it, but if your family is going to make your life much harder because of your personal decision, I would say wait. Not that it will be that easy in college, because you have to take in higher volumes to make up the low nutrient levels there are in vegetarian foods, which can also be expensive (unless you have a meal plan, then it's not that bad, but they don't generally have meat subs).
    Also, stay away from things like frozen veggie burgers, or such. The same thing applies to us as does meat eaters. The sodium is absurd. Some like amy's reduced sodium are great, but they're just really pricey (and not worth it in my opinion.) I've found Tempeh to be a savior, as it's nutrient dense, and actually well rounded in its nutrient profile, it's cheap, and can be made into anything.

Edit: Many worry about nutrient deficiencies, and I haven't found that to be an issue. Take a multi vitamin like anyone else, and I do take a B-100 complex, but not because I feel lacking in B vitamins. There's other benefits to them than just having B-12 in there. You can get B-12 rather easily. So truck on :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to read all you can about veg*n nutrition and then make the change. That way, if your parents express concern about what you are eating, you will have the knowledge to give informed answers. I think some people make the mistake of switching without knowing enough and then don't stay veg*n because they think they weren't getting what they needed nutritionally, when really it was because they were eating junk. You can eat junk on any diet and not be well. And I personally don't put a lot of stock into what the American Dietetic Association has to say, but some people do, and they do state that people can be healthy on a vegetarian diet. The government food pyramid was recently revamped into a food "plate" as well and instead of listing meat has replaced that with "protein" as part of the plate. If you stick to whole foods and have processed foods only as treats, you can be very healthy, just do your research so you have the knowledge to make your parents feel at ease with your decision.

And kudos to you for considering it. Your body will thank you (as long as you make healthy choices), the planet will thank you, and the animals will thank you. Good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions, and search for vegn threads - there are several.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to read all you can about veg*n nutrition and then make the change. That way, if your parents express concern about what you are eating, you will have the knowledge to give informed answers. I think some people make the mistake of switching without knowing enough and then don't stay veg*n because they think they weren't getting what they needed nutritionally, when really it was because they were eating junk. You can eat junk on any diet and not be well. And I personally don't put a lot of stock into what the American Dietetic Association has to say, but some people do, and they do state that people can be healthy on a vegetarian diet. The government food pyramid was recently revamped into a food "plate" as well and instead of listing meat has replaced that with "protein" as part of the plate. If you stick to whole foods and have processed foods only as treats, you can be very healthy, just do your research so you have the knowledge to make your parents feel at ease with your decision.

And kudos to you for considering it. Your body will thank you (as long as you make healthy choices), the planet will thank you, and the animals will thank you. Good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions, and search for vegn threads - there are several.

I agree. Just because sour patch kids are vegan (and I know you said vegetarian) doesn't mean you should live off of them. kind of ruins the point of being healthier when you switch to easy junk food.
  • zombi
    zombi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I, too, became a vegetarian in high school when I still lived with my parents. They weren't too pleased about it because I have other health issues, but they have eventually come around to it. I really suggest you go to google and look up "Protein Complementation". This is fancy talk for how we people who don't eat meat can very easily get all the protein we need in our diet! I'll give you some basics, here, this is the kind of information I teach my patients who need this information:

We need protein in our diets. More specifically, each of us needs amino acids in a specific ratio to each other. Our bodies can make about half of the needed amino acids given proper starting materials including a source of nitrogen (such as other amino acids). There are eight amino acids we can’t make, so they must be present in our diets in a specific ratio to each other.

Because of publicity from certain agricultural industries, many people in our culture have been taught to think that it is necessary to eat meat to get protein, but this is not true! Protein complementation is combining plant protein sources to achieve a better amino acid balance than either would have alone. Because of differences in amino acid make-up, when plant sources are combined, the strengths of one make up for the deficiencies in another. For example, many grains are notoriously low in lysine, but beans are high in lysine. On the other hand, beans are low in the sulfur-containing amino acids, while grains like wheat contain much of these. Thus, by eating beans and grains “together,” the strengths of one make up for the deficiencies of the other, making a source of complete protein.

If your parents worry about your nutrition, you should be able to explain these kinds of things to them to assuage their concerns. I would try having a serious conversation about your wishes and seeing how they react. You might be surprised! (:
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I, too, became a vegetarian in high school when I still lived with my parents. They weren't too pleased about it because I have other health issues, but they have eventually come around to it. I really suggest you go to google and look up "Protein Complementation". This is fancy talk for how we people who don't eat meat can very easily get all the protein we need in our diet! I'll give you some basics, here, this is the kind of information I teach my patients who need this information:

We need protein in our diets. More specifically, each of us needs amino acids in a specific ratio to each other. Our bodies can make about half of the needed amino acids given proper starting materials including a source of nitrogen (such as other amino acids). There are eight amino acids we can’t make, so they must be present in our diets in a specific ratio to each other.

Because of publicity from certain agricultural industries, many people in our culture have been taught to think that it is necessary to eat meat to get protein, but this is not true! Protein complementation is combining plant protein sources to achieve a better amino acid balance than either would have alone. Because of differences in amino acid make-up, when plant sources are combined, the strengths of one make up for the deficiencies in another. For example, many grains are notoriously low in lysine, but beans are high in lysine. On the other hand, beans are low in the sulfur-containing amino acids, while grains like wheat contain much of these. Thus, by eating beans and grains “together,” the strengths of one make up for the deficiencies of the other, making a source of complete protein.

If your parents worry about your nutrition, you should be able to explain these kinds of things to them to assuage their concerns. I would try having a serious conversation about your wishes and seeing how they react. You might be surprised! (:

I believe, at least I have read, that combining foods at one meal to make a so-called "complete" protein has been proven not to be necessary, as long as your diet is varied. For instance, you can have beans at one meal and rice at another and you are still getting the amino acids necessary for your body, they need not be combined.
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you considered convincing them to buy organic meats that come from places where the animals are treated well (and lives much better lives than they would in the wild)? I think that would be a good compromise until you go off to college.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You can always have a transaction, if you think it will be easier for you while you are living with your parents.

Start with being "flexitarianism" or "Semi-vegetarianism". See wiki page for some more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexitarian
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Have you considered convincing them to buy organic meats that come from places where the animals are treated well (and lives much better lives than they would in the wild)? I think that would be a good compromise until you go off to college.

While I applaud any effort to buy organic meat, if the choice is from an ethical standpoint and not a health one, I think it is important to understand that organic has nothing to do with the treatment of animals, but mostly only with how antibiotics and other medications are allowed to be administered to the animals. For health, it's a better choice, but not for ethics.

Edit: there can be organic meats from well-treated animals, I just wanted to clarify that organic and welfare are not synonymous.
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    I'm a vegan. I tried doing it before I went to college, and my parents were not the most supportive. But if you can cook for yourself, then I'd say go for it. It's really easy (and honestly, after about a week you don't crave meat at all if that was ever a problem). I'd say, talk to your parents about it, and if they're upset you can either try it and cook your own food, or wait until college. Personally, I tried in high school but my parents got in the way, so I just did it once I went to college
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My family are true "outback Aussies" have always been big meat eaters, but my younger sister switched to vegetarianism at age 7 because of her feelings on how animals are farmed.
    My dad was pretty wierded out at first and thought it was a phase, but my mum was great and even took her to a nutritionist to explain all about how she could eat vege and still maintain health. Lots of foods she would never have eaten before, she was happy to eat now because she could stick with her convictions. 16 years on she is still a vege, so I guess it wasn't a phase! She is def not a vegan - still drinks milk and eats eggs too, after some carefully considered research on the sources she chooses to use. My dad is great about it now too, and was very accomodating when my younger brother went pescitarian a couple of years ago too.

For the record - I am not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy a lot of delicious vegetarian meals and try to be conscious of where my animal products come from.

Good luck!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    my parents fought me for a year when I decided to go veggie. I still live with them, but now they understand. i do end up cooking my own food most of the time though. go for it! worst-case scenario-- they dissapprove and you have to wait till later. good luck :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Having extremely opinionated and stubborn parents myself, I would say try to discuss it with them, armed with as much information as possible. If they just won't get on board, you could just make a valiant effort to eat meat free whenever possible until such time that you're solely responsible for your dietary choices. Even a small change is a step in the right direction.
  • NeverTry
    NeverTry Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As a vego myself, I would say It is possible to be healthy and vibrant without meat, i say go for it, but i do know know your parents. But i would have a talk to them and tell them why this is important to you.

Lots of parents will have an issue with this at first, as it is different to the way they have been bought up, but if you explain that you can still be healthy, and that you are choosing to do this at college anyway, im sure they will understand, or at least humor you until you go.
    Its your life, and you can choose what goes in your body. And hopefully your parents will go along for the ride.

My parents were weird about it at the start, probably thought it was a phase, but have been supportive of me no matter what they think. Now after 15-ish years, its just life for all of us, and dad still gets excited when he finds veto stuff for me to eat.

Yesterday i went for a drive with them in the country, and we saw some cute furry cows, and i said "theres your hamburgers".. and they said "we prefer not to think about them like that" which i think is the point, people prefer not to think about what is really going on.

Good luck
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Im arming myself with tons of information about dietary needs, and what foods i need to eat to get them. I will try to discuss this with them, my mom will go with it (grudgingly) and my did will try to disown me. Heck, he tried to disown my cousin when he was thinking about doing it. So thatll be fun. But if they wont support me i can always be a flexitarian. Only eat meat when forced. I can handle that until i go to college. Heck, most my meals revolve around veggies anyways. So thanks again.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i went for a drive with them in the country, and we saw some cute furry cows, and i said "theres your hamburgers".. and they said "we prefer not to think about them like that" which i think is the point, people prefer not to think about what is really going on.

Hahahaha very true for me! I try to be conscious of where my meat comes from and even buy direct from farmers that I trust to treat their animals well and humanely prepare the meat for consumption etc... But I still can't think about the steak on my plate as being from the cow with big brown eyes that I thought was so super cute lol.
  • zombi
    zombi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I believe, at least I have read, that combining foods at one meal to make a so-called "complete" protein has been proven not to be necessary, as long as your diet is varied. For instance, you can have beans at one meal and rice at another and you are still getting the amino acids necessary for your body, they need not be combined.
    I should have been more specific -- I don't mean that one has to eat them at the same MEAL! (:
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I should have been more specific -- I don't mean that one has to eat them at the same MEAL! (:

My mistake! A lot of veg*ns still go by the whole rice/bean combo because they think thay have to in order to get a "complete" protein, I thought that's what you were saying. But I think that's pretty old information since from what I've read our bodies store amino acids once we've eaten them and will combine them as necessary. Sorry for the miscommunication!