Post-vacation blues!

Options
On Wednesday morning, I weighed in at 131.2 pounds. Yay!

Then, I chose to stop logging for four days to enjoy my vacation. I ate lots and lots and lots of horrible, junky crap. Yum!

On Sunday morning, I weighed in at 140.1 pounds. GAH! :noway:

Mind you, I know I didn't gain 9 pounds of fat in four days. Right? RIGHT??? Of course not! Impossible! The math on that would be... staggering. Oh, I imagine that some of it is certainly fat. I'd even believe 3-4 pounds of it (donuts were involved), though I wouldn't be thrilled. Bloating is likely to blame. Today, I'm drinking lots of water, eating lots of veggies, and keeping sodium low.

Depressing as it is to see the scale read a number I'd hoped to never see again, I'm not freaking out. Really.

Tell me, though, has anyone else experienced catastrophic gain after only a handful of days of bad eating? How long does it take to flush the water weight out of the way and get an accurate picture of the damage done? And is it true that weight gained over the course of a few days will fall back off pretty quickly? (Please, for the love of God, say yes!)

:heart: Thanks in advance! :heart:

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I went on vacay and logged all my food and exercise and STILL Gained 3 pounds but lost it the next day!
    I'm sure you'll be fine.. Give it a week and it'll melt right off you!
  • scottof62
    Options
    Donuts were involved. LOL! The sneaky *kitten*! I always heard that vacation donuts were only 1/2 the calories of regular weekday donuts? Hmmm...appears not to be the case. I have experienced rapid weight gain from days off in the past as well. I don't think it will kill you, as long as you are not making a habit of eating "junky" food often. Get back to it, don't stress or beat yourself up over it. Have fun and be healthy!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am going on a cruise in three weeks, and we all know what the food is like on a cruise!

My trainer told me NOT to weigh myself the week I get back (probably be too depressing!), because I most likely would have gained at least water weight. She told me to get back on track as soon as I get home (no waiting until tomorrow!), drink lots of water and weigh the SECOND week. That will give me a true look at the damage-which I hope will be minimal as I will be swimming, snorkling and all kinds of fun activities!

Get back on track, and I am sure those pounds will go away fairly quickly! You have done a great job so far. You know what to do!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I went to a baseball game, ate and drank alcohol like crazy, then the next day i was really lazy and ate a bunch of junk and sweets, and by the following morning i had gained 7 lbs...my ankles were so swollen my shoes hardly fit, so i assumed a lot of it was related to all the sodium i took in. After about 3 days of eating good and drinking a ton of water, i was back down 5 of those lbs.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have to track sodium, as soon as I cut sodium lost 4 pounds. I suggest you track your sodium for a few days and you should be back to "fighting weight".
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I sure hope it goes away fast. If all this weight were "real" weight (and I know it it's not), it would set me back like 2 months. So sad! I just wonder how long it takes to flush out the system, as it were.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. 5 lbs. I got back on track and so will you. It's a life long journey.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after just a *single* day of eating some junky food and drinking too much alcohol, the scale will be up 3-4 pounds the next day. It generally takes about a week of time for it to even back out. Drink a lot of water and it'll help and maybe try to have a lower carb week?
  • jklmum
    jklmum Posts: 27
    Options
    happens to me everytime! It is nothing for the scale to go up even 10lbs in a week for me. Sadly, does not always come right back off which then starts the downward spiral. If this happens don't give up just keep on keeping on and we'll all be here to support you. Hopefully it's just sodium and will be back off right away. I don't understand why it happens, it makes no sense to me how a person can gain 10lbs in a week and not have it come back off, but apparently it does.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I can relate to you 100% I went on vacation last week and managed to gain 10 pounds. I expected a gain of a cpl pounds but never thought I would see 10pound gain. I still logged all week and thought I had done decently even though I ate alot of things I shouldnt of. I logged all the time I spent walking and swimming and was hoping it would balance out but evidently it didnt. This week I went straight back to my plan and drinking my water agian and have taken 6 of those 10 back off and now still have alot more to loose and it sickens me to be having to work so hard to lose weight that I had already worked hard once to loose!!! I also logged the gain when I got back and never really wanted to see those numbers agian
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm sure when you weigh yourself tomorrow you'll have lost like 5 pounds of water weight. Just get back in your regular rhythm and you'll be fine! I've noticed when I go on vacation it usually takes about a week to get back to where I was at! Don't be discouraged!