HELP! Will Insanity tone me? (PIC HEAVY)

Options
I am currently 120 lbs and 5'2". I just want to build muscle and lose overall body fat. I still have that little bulge in my lower abdomen which I want to disappear! Will Insanity work or should I stick to JM videos with heavier weights? I heard insanity involves alot of cardio and not much strength training. Input is greatly appreciated!

Picture0061.jpg

Picture0021.jpgPicture0031.jpg

Picture0011.jpgPicture0041.jpg

Replies

• acb515
    acb515 Posts: 1
    Options
    YES!!! Insanity is insane!!! I started seeing more definition in the first week!
  • radiantlyhealthy
    radiantlyhealthy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you think you can handle Insanity, and stick with it, it would definitely do the trick! I actually feel like my muscle mass has increased since starting Insanity a couple weeks ago. The JM videos would probably work too, but they aren't as intense as Insanity; so it'd probably take longer.
  • dlharden37
    Options
    Insanity is very cardio heavy. However you will do strength moves, it's just not with weights. You use your own body weight. There are a lot of push ups and stuff like that. Insanity is an extreme workout, have fun!
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    Belly Fat is due to mainly diet. Sugar is one of the main things that stores as body fat. I noticed when I cut out as much added sugar as I could my body fat went down dramatically.
  • bluetinker31
    Options
    P90x has weights and insanity is alot of cardio...both r great workouts!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Insanity will help. The idea is to tone and lower overall body fat to get definition. What insanity will not do is add a ton of muscle. It will strengthen and tone the muscle you have, but in order to add muscle you need to lift weights more as part of your overall routine. So to sum up, if your goal is to achieve definition, then insanity will work, so will P90X, or a very heavy cardio routine of your own, coupled with some weight training. Good luck.
  • cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you join a bootcamp! It has helped me a lot so far!
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Insanity will help. The idea is to tone and lower overall body fat to get definition. What insanity will not do is add a ton of muscle. It will strengthen and tone the muscle you have, but in order to add muscle you need to lift weights more as part of your overall routine. So to sum up, if your goal is to achieve definition, then insanity will work, so will P90X, or a very heavy cardio routine of your own, coupled with some weight training. Good luck.

yea i thought so too. Im trying to shy away from cardio and do more weight lifting. i heard that insanity doesnt burn as much calories than p90x? is this true?
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options

yea i thought so too. Im trying to shy away from cardio and do more weight lifting. i heard that insanity doesnt burn as much calories than p90x? is this true?

Unfortunetly I have found that a good balance with cardio and weight lifting is key. While, at heart, I am a weightlifter, I must run almost every day. Personally, I run before I lift weights. There are people that will say to run after but if I did that, then I would never do cardio at all. Mostly it takes time and dedication. Below is my routine, but you should find your own balance.

Sunday: 6-13 mile run.
    Monday: 2.5 mile run, Weight lifting 90 minutes (chest and triceps)
    Tuesday: 2.5 Mile run. Weight lifting 90 Minutes (Biceps and back)
    Wednesday: No run. Weight lifting 90 Minutes (legs and shoulders)
    Thursday: 2.5 Mile run. Abs in the morning. Afternoon Army training boot camp style
    Friday: 3-5 Mile run.
    Saturday: No run. Overall body workout. Low weights, high reps 2 hours.

Sometimes I add the overall workout to Friday and rest Saturday. Every now and then (about once per month) I add an extra rest day. Also, and I can't stress this enough, but diet is HUGE. Protein should be higher than recommended on MFP and make sure you stay near your alloted calories per day. And I do eat back most of my exercise calories. It is the fuel that keeps me going.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps in some way.