HELP!!!!!

Options
can you buy a water pill over the counter? i have a freind who is so swollen and the doc wont give her a water pill any help would be great

Replies

• rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    can you buy a water pill over the counter? i have a freind who is so swollen and the doc wont give her a water pill any help would be great
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    why is she bloated? if it's menstrual, I think Midol helps with bloating. If it's a sodium induced bloat I have heard other recommend a shot of apple cider vinegar.

wait I read that wrong. swollen? like as in injured? apply ice, that takes away the swelling, a water pill won't help that, probably why the doc didn't give her one.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    They do sell Diuretics over the counter.....at most drug stores and at walmart
    (i think that is how its spelled)
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    she had a procedure on monday and they pumped her with fluids, but they said a water pill will mess with her blood pressure.

she is gonna try the apple cider vinegar.

thank you she was getting really nervous and uncomfortable, i knew you guys would help:drinker:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    A glass of Lemon juice works well too.
    Tablespoon of REAL Lemon juice. The bottle concentrate has sodium in it sometimes. and talk about messing with her blood pressure.
    --Diann...
  • JesCrdr
    Options
    What kind of bp problems does she have? Is this a doctor who knows her history? There is probably a reason that he doesn't want her to have a diuretic. It could be due to kidney problems, as well....Unless this is a doctor that doesn't know her body or her history, maybe she shouldn't be diuresed.....Just a thought.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    yep the water pill not only could affect blood pressure, but electrolyte balance as well, which can be scary and cause heart problems. probably should listen to the dr. and just wait it out for the fluid to work its way out naturally!!
  • cedargirl22
    cedargirl22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know my body got super swollen after I had a baby because of the IV fluids and the nurses just told me to drink lots of water and flush out my system. (Also keep my feet elevated because they were BAD). But I'm no doctor, so I'd trust what they tell her.....
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have been swollen within my feet and ankles and legs and was put on a water pill. I totally love it. I don't take it every day but it does help. You can get them over the counter at walmart, target, kmart, and any drug store.

I take a water pill due to my autoimmune disease that causes me to retain alot of water.