Easy Atkins Recipes?

Options
Next Sunday my boyfriend and I are starting out on the first phase of Atkins! I'm excited, but since we're living with his grandparents right now it's hard to keep a lot of our own food around (we basically have our own drawer in the fridge :grumble:). So does anyone know any simple atkins-friendly recipes (or snacks) that don't require many ingredients? So far here is what I've come up with:

Omelet or scrambled eggs with veggies
Cucumber slices with cream cheese
Grilled chicken with green peppers
Deviled Eggs
Tuna salad or chicken salad

I'd really like to think of something to do with artichoke hearts too, any ideas? :smile:

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    In a few words. . . .ATKINS. .. not healthy. . Good luck!
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Cancer has been linked to carbs... and heart disease...

lets me clarify. This is what humans ate by design, "mother nature isn't stupid." cavemen(neanderthal) had this type of diet, there was no heart disease or no signs of illness. They found this really old mummy, it's the oldest mummy found, guess what? It had heart disease. This mummy wsa discovered after "agriculture" was developed. Grains, rice, pastas, etc...

People argue "neanderthal only lived to be around 30yrs old". Yes this is true, this was "their life span" as humans evolved life span has increased. neanderthal lman lived a "full life" free of disease. No one can say that about anyone who eats the ASD(american standardized diet)
  • portexploit
    Options
    I recently changed my diet to an alkalarian diet. What I would do is get some marinade, I think "weber" and ... "mckormic" they are little packages you add oil and water to them. I'd put a tray of chicken thighs 4lbs and mix 2 packets. I'd put the chicken in a ziplock bag and the chicken, shake it up a bit let it sit in the fridge about an hour. Pre heat the oven to 425 degree's skin side down. I'd leave it in the oven for 20-25mins, then flip cook for another 20-25mins and time to eat.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options

don't say things like that, people might actually believe you. please cite from a peer reviewed replicated article. oh wait, you can't.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Well I am a vegetarian. . and that is BS. . . overloading your system with protein and putting undue on your kidneys and liver is not healthy. . Not to mention your brain runs on carbs. . . I tried atkins once then got educated by my trainer when I was boxing. . and wised up.
  • r60775m
    r60775m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ignore those who tell you Atkins is not healthy. It IS healthy. Just remember, that like ALL diets, it boils down to calories in and calories out. Keep your caloric intake under control, stay active(JUST WALK!!!), and stick with the plan. Don't stay in the Atkins induction period forever. Add carbs to see what you can tolerate. Atkins is no excuse to gorge yourself, even if it is on meat or cheese.

My dad was a doctor, and his diet for many patients was to avoid white foods. And it worked! His patients avoided starches and sugars and those who faithfully followed it were successful.

Best of luck to you!
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ok nobody is asking is you like or dislike atkins, if your recommend it or not, if you think is healthy or unhealty, she is asking is you know any freaking recipe, thats all, if you dont like atkins why you click on this question?... goosh

Here they are lots of yummi atkins recipes http://www.atkins.com/recipes.aspx good luck with your diet, i've lost a lot of weight on atkins, and guess what? i didnt gained any weight after :) ....
  • portexploit
    Options

don't say things like that, people might actually believe you. please cite from a peer reviewed replicated article. oh wait, you can't.

Here is a study that concludes that high glycmix foods lead to heart disease.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837285

What's the difference from low and high glycemic index? The "Rate" at which insulin is increased...
  • MintheWing
    Options
    I didn't think my post would require a disclaimer but apparently it does... I am NOT going to eat a pound of bacon everyday, lol, It's still possible to cut carbs and sugar from my diet and still eat right. Besides, it's only the first phase that is absolutely no carbs and sugar, gradually I can start eating fruit and some grains again. And I'm offended that anyone would suggest that doing atkins means 'to gorge or overload one's self'
  • r60775m
    r60775m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. It has been shown that when cavemen developed agriculture and farming, man's size got much smaller. Eating vegetables actually made humans smaller!!!! We have evolved to handle veggies though, and they shouldn't be removed from our diets. remove the starchy veggies,. i.e. potato's, pasta, and bread, and you'll be so much better off.

If you really want the academic info, read "The Bioethics of Hunting and Gathering Societies. "
  • MintheWing
    Options
    Ok nobody is asking is you like or dislike atkins, if your recommend it or not, if you think is healthy or unhealty, she is asking is you know any freaking recipe, thats all, if you dont like atkins why you click on this question?... goosh

Here they are lots of yummi atkins recipes http://www.atkins.com/recipes.aspx good luck with your diet, i've lost a lot of weight on atkins, and guess what? i didnt gained any weight after :) ....

Thanks for the support! I'll be sure to check out that website :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I am not trying to insult anyone. . I am just saying that I got sucked into the Atkins once myself in my quest to become healthy and learned a few things from my trainers. . .

So I like to pass them along. . My trainer said that your body largely runs on carbs and that if you are overloading your organs on protein you are making said organs work harder and causing damage to your body.. .

I boxed and kickboxed. . . So I am by no means an expert. . I am just passing along knowledge. . I myself and training to be a physical trainer and studying more on nutrition and exercise. .

So not saying anyone should listen to me. . I just wanted to pass on what I learned from personal experience. .
  • MintheWing
    Options
    Yes. It has been shown that when cavemen developed agriculture and farming, man's size got much smaller. Eating vegetables actually made humans smaller!!!! We have evolved to handle veggies though, and they shouldn't be removed from our diets. remove the starchy veggies,. i.e. potato's, pasta, and bread, and you'll be so much better off.

If you really want the academic info, read "The Bioethics of Hunting and Gathering Societies. "

Thanks!
  • portexploit
    Options

Well I am a vegetarian. . and that is BS. . . overloading your system with protein and putting undue on your kidneys and liver is not healthy. . Not to mention your brain runs on carbs. . . I tried atkins once then got educated by my trainer when I was boxing. . and wised up.

I am working on a alkarian diet. It's a stricter form of vegan diet. You say the atkins is BS, BS according to a trainer? Let me ask you this, where did you hear that "vegetarianism is healthy?" I bet you heard it from someone.

You know what causes heart disease, it's the sugar in the blood(carbs) scaring the vessels, which allows the cholestrol to stick. If there was no carbs, there would be no scaring and if there is no scaring there is no clogging. Doctors have concluded that people with higher cholestrol levels live longer.
  • teresabreeding
    teresabreeding Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All natural peanut butter on celery is a great snack too.

Finely chop cauliflower in a food processor, put in a bowl with a lid and cook in the microwave (don't add water or anything) and it steams the cauliflower and has the texture and appearance of rice. Add butter and a little salt and it's delicious!
  • MintheWing
    Options
    :embarassed:
  • MintheWing
    Options
    All natural peanut butter on celery is a great snack too.

Finely chop cauliflower in a food processor, put in a bowl with a lid and cook in the microwave (don't add water or anything) and it steams the cauliflower and has the texture and appearance of rice. Add butter and a little salt and it's delicious!

Oh what a good idea! I love rice so I should try it :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    And God says I can eat anything I want in moderation~~!
  • portexploit
    Options
    I am not trying to insult anyone. . I am just saying that I got sucked into the Atkins once myself in my quest to become healthy and learned a few things from my trainers. . .

So I like to pass them along. . My trainer said that your body largely runs on carbs and that if you are overloading your organs on protein you are making said organs work harder and causing damage to your body.. .

I boxed and kickboxed. . . So I am by no means an expert. . I am just passing along knowledge. . I myself and training to be a physical trainer and studying more on nutrition and exercise. .

So not saying anyone should listen to me. . I just wanted to pass on what I learned from personal experience. .

I am not sure if I already said this but I got my CPT a few years ago (Certified Personal Trainer) I have been in to health and fitness for a long time, many many years. I was boxing at the age of 14. I can tell you one thing for sure, there is soooooo much BS in the health and fitness community. So many myths, such as eating speeds up your metabolism, eating 6 times a day will cause you to speed up your metabolism. You shouldn't eat before bed or you'll gain weight. Starvatoin mode, etc...
  • portexploit
    Options
    i also liked chicken gizzard, cooked in omega 3 style butter. I also liked ground turkey mixed with cheese.