Lunch

Options
I just joined today and looking for some help getting started. My lunch pretty much has consisted of the closet fast food to my office. Looking for some ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    you can take a look at my lunches, I usually buy a huge bag of tortillas and some veggies for lunch for the whole week.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    THE KEY IS ALWAYS BALANCE! =)

BASICS.
    http://www.kpao.org/blog/2011/06/03/choose-a-vegan-plate.pdf

Always choose vegetables. Make them your focus. (Sounds like you pretty much got that downOh, and keep it simple.
    Here's your grocery list (stolen directly from WebMD):
    Whole wheat pita bread
    Romaine lettuce
    2 tomatoes
    1 cucumber
    1 bag baby carrots
    1 bag of apples & oranges
    1 can of light tuna in water
    1 can of salmon (split for two meals)
    1 prepared grilled chicken
    3 cans of low-sodium, broth-based soup

With this list of foods, you can prepare:

1 pita with lettuce and grilled chicken with light dressing; baby carrots; and an apple.
    Salmon lettuce wraps with light sesame Asian dressing; 1 can of broth-based soup; and an orange.
    Tomato & cucumber salad with olive oil and vinegar; tuna salad on pita; baby carrots; and an apple.
    1 can of soup; and grilled chicken on a bed of romaine with sliced apple and light vinaigrette.
    Garden salad with salmon, tomato, cucumber, and baby carrots; an orange; and 1 can of soup.

AND 5 more cheap lunch options that are also simple to prepare:

Whole-wheat tortilla wrap of hummus, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, feta cheese and black olives; plus a carton of fat-free vanilla yogurt, and berries.
    Whole wheat pita stuffed with vegetarian refried beans, salsa, lettuce and shredded cheddar cheese; and apple slices with peanut butter.
    A green salad loaded with canned chunk light tuna, carrot strips, pepper slices, tomato wedges, red beans, and dried cranberries topped with balsamic vinaigrette; with a cup of low fat chocolate milk.
    A peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread; a piece of fresh fruit; and low fat yogurt.
    Whole-wheat tortilla roll with sliced turkey, sliced low-fat mozzarella cheese, red pepper strips, and lettuce leaf (chill and slice into bite size pieces); with fruit salad and a glass of skim milk.
    To save money on beverages, use the water cooler at work instead of buying bottled water or a soda from the vending machine. And bring coffee in a to-go mug instead of stopping at your favorite coffee shop. Got a sweet tooth after lunch? Have fruit, a few pieces of hard candy, or a few low-fat Graham crackers or vanilla wafers.

Easy peasy. Hope this helps!