How much damage can one binge do?

Options
Grrr........ I did it again and couldn't help myself. After being good for 4 1/2 days on the diet train I caved this evening and totally had a binge session. It's like I have no control when it happens. I don't even want to know how many calories I took in... Totally disappointed and grossed out right now. But I'll get back on track tomorrow and up the cardio workout tomorrow. But how much damage can a binge session do to the weight loss you'Ve already achieved?

Replies

• 123purple
    Options
    Grrr........ I did it again and couldn't help myself. After being good for 4 1/2 days on the diet train I caved this evening and totally had a binge session. It's like I have no control when it happens. I don't even want to know how many calories I took in... Totally disappointed and grossed out right now. But I'll get back on track tomorrow and up the cardio workout tomorrow. But how much damage can a binge session do to the weight loss you'Ve already achieved?
  • upskari4
    Options
    I am so with you! I almost had a binge session tonight but then I called my Mom who is my weight loss partner and she talked me out of it. Thank goodness! That being said I don't think one binge will make any difference on your weight loss thus far and even for this week! Just make sure you get going again tomorrow. I allow myself one "cheat" day each week where I can eat whatever I want. This really seems to help and I have lost 12 lbs so far in 5 weeks so I think it is working well! Keep up the good work and as my Mom always says " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!" Good luck on the rest of your week!! :smile:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

just remember 1 pound equals 3500 calories! there is no way you could have eaten that many calories and you have already got it in your head that you are going to get back on track tomorrow so forget about your binge and do better tomorrow!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Binge sessions have a larger impact on your emotional state.
    Taking in a huge amount of food in one session makes for very inefficient absorption in the intestines. The chunk of digested food is so thick that, despite the contractions in the intestines, not all surfaces of the bolus can come into contact with the intestinal wall, so some of the calories are just excreted. One day of excess calories will do little the in way of adding fat, just like one day isn't enough for losing a lot. That said, I think it's important to address the emotional and psychological issues associated with the binging so you can prevent it in the future. :flowerforyou:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day and I was mad when I logged everything and was over by nearly 1000 calories it said that if every day was like today in 5 weeks i would have gained 3.2 lbs.

it bothered me until i thought about it. i would have to go OVER my calories every single day by 1000 and would gain a mere 3.2 lbs in 5 WEEKS!

so its not a big deal. :-)
  • 123purple
    Options
    Thanks guys. That makes me feel a little better. And you are right... I should address my emotional issues related to binge eating. My occasional binges are seriously a problem. But the thing is that I don't really know what the issues are... I wasn't feeling any sort of stress or anything of that sort. Hmmm...
  • bonnykate
    Options
    i sometimes just binge out of the blue - for me, it's usually because something tastes really good! of course, that's not a good enough reason, and it's definitely important to immediately get back on track, like you're planning to do.

i agree with the idea of one day a week where you can eat what you want - it makes a diet much more bearable, although it does slow you down on the weight loss a little bit. maybe try to keep your calorie intake on "cheat" days to at most 2000 -- this lets you eat a lot of stuff, believe it or not, and then you have no reason to feel guilty, because you've only eaten the NORMAL amount of calories that you're SUPPOSED to consume if you aren't on a diet.

and if you can find one, a "binge buddy" is a great idea -- even just posting on these message boards can be enough to be talked out of it.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    i know exactly how u feel!!! i used to to so good for a couple of days and then eat so bad....i realized i was feeling deprived so i would have a little snack and i couldnt stop...so i decided to start giving myself a "treat" everynight if i did good that day!! i really dont binge eat anymore cause i get that satisfaction everynight!! i usually go for 1/2 cup sugar free icecream or sugar free jello pudding!!!
  • Solidsweet
    Options
    I actually find that when you binge on random it makes you feel a little sick. I think your body could go in a shock to take in so much food when before, in the rest of the week you only ate according to plan. Does anyone else feel the nausea? I actually am grateful for it - because it stops my binging in its tracks! :ohwell:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Binge sessions have a larger impact on your emotional state.
    Taking in a huge amount of food in one session makes for very inefficient absorption in the intestines. The chunk of digested food is so thick that, despite the contractions in the intestines, not all surfaces of the bolus can come into contact with the intestinal wall, so some of the calories are just excreted. One day of excess calories will do little the in way of adding fat, just like one day isn't enough for losing a lot. That said, I think it's important to address the emotional and psychological issues associated with the binging so you can prevent it in the future. :flowerforyou:

Whoa, that's graphic, songbyrd!!! LOL. :laugh: (But I always enjoy reading your posts because you really know your stuff.) :flowerforyou:

How much sugar have you been eating lately, 123purple? I know that my binging is caused by either stress, emotional eating, or eating even a tiny bit of sugar. I'm like an alcoholic who can't even take one drink! :drinker: Next thing I know, I'm eating everything in sight. :sad: :grumble: I do best when I lay off the white stuff. The urge to binge goes away and I feel like I have a normal appetite.
  • 123purple
    Options
    Whoa, that's graphic, songbyrd!!! LOL. :laugh: (But I always enjoy reading your posts because you really know your stuff.) :flowerforyou:

How much sugar have you been eating lately, 123purple? I know that my binging is caused by either stress, emotional eating, or eating even a tiny bit of sugar. I'm like an alcoholic who can't even take one drink! :drinker: Next thing I know, I'm eating everything in sight. :sad: :grumble: I do best when I lay off the white stuff. The urge to binge goes away and I feel like I have a normal appetite.

When I am doing well with my diet I don't consume any processed sugar foods. I eat really well. My binges usually happen when I'm still a little hungry after dinner or I crave a little something. Sometimes I do well and just have a piece of fruit or a yogurt and sometimes that isn't enough and then all hell breaks loose - I eat whatever is in sight and can't stop until I am way way too full. But yes, like you, if I eat anything sugargy that usually sets me off too... I want more of the chocolate or the cookies. I can't just have one. I try and stay away from them because I have such lack of control but then again sometimes I feel so deprived of them that I go on these binges. It's really a vicious circle. I can't seem to find a middle ground.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I want more of the chocolate or the cookies. I can't just have one. I try and stay away from them because I have such lack of control but then again sometimes I feel so deprived of them that I go on these binges. It's really a vicious circle. I can't seem to find a middle ground.

I really don't feel deprived much anymore. It's still hard to watch other people eat sweets sometimes, but now when I do eat them, I feel more like I'm being deprived of my health and self control. :sick: It's a privilege and a blessing to me to be able to say "no, thanks" and keep my sanity!

But believe me, I know how tough it is. It doesn't take much for me to go off the deep end! :frown: But that feels so awful, much more awful than it feels good to have a sweet. Over time, try to change the way you think about it. Would you rather have the cookies and candies, or your health? Two minutes of eating is not worth days to recover your self control and sanity.

:heart:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I needed this thread today. Thanks all. :)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I went through that when I first started this. It takes a little while to break that habit. I had switched to all healthy snacks but would still "binge" on them.
    I am now at the point where I don't even have the desire to over eat. I think it takes time. It took me months to re-program that part of my mind and also recognize the triggers.
    There is hope but you really have to have that self-awarness.

To quote the much missed Banks

"Self criticism without self lotathing is difficult but necessary to improve one's overall health"

Also, drink tons of water :drinker: and you won't even have room to binge.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Here here Tash :drinker: ...well said :drinker: I allow myself one cheat day...usually on the weekend. I am careful not to go WAY overboard though. I don't want to undo all my work from the week....but it took me time to get that under control. :blushing: And I still have my bad days here and there...but as time goes on it's less frequently. So just hang in there. Don't be too hard on yourself...but learn from it and move on.:flowerforyou: In a way it's good you're feeling down about it....remember this next time you go to binge. I plan my cheat days and I log them ahead of time so I know how far I'm going over. And I can still enjoy one of those not -so-healthy meals but know that I'm not undoing everything I did over the week. And after a while it just becomes second nature. I go days with not logging once in a while but I keep track in my head and it is usually pretty accurate (within 100 calories). I know because I have gone back and checked randomly. So hang in there....this is a learning process and it takes time. It doesn't happen overnight :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a chronic binger, but I'm definitely an emotional eater, so sometimes when I'm feeling crappy, the little voice in my head will be "Awww, your roommate has pop tarts and she'd TOTALLY love to eat one with you!" Or see, my academic adviser always has cake once a month for all the birthdays. It'll be like "meeting with your adviser AND getting a slice of cake would make you feel so much better!"

I know, one pop tart or slice of cake doesn't really count as a binge, but I'm always afraid that it'll be a slippery slope and soon I'll be indulging every little upset with food.

I do let myself have treats, but only when I'm totally in control.