Cereal...

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I have a question. Im in LOVE with sugar cereal. My favorite is Reese's cup puffs. I would like to cut back on this. If I don't have sugar cereal I eat like crispex or chereos (sp) with sugar. I just can't get use to the taste with no sugar.

So far I have kicked my tea habit and somewhat kicked my chocolate habit. I have also kicked my caffine (pop) habit. This is my next goal. I know its healther for me and it would be cheaper also.

I will take any hints i can get. Thank you.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Im in LOVE with sugar cereal. My favorite is Reese's cup puffs. I would like to cut back on this. If I don't have sugar cereal I eat like crispex or chereos (sp) with sugar. I just can't get use to the taste with no sugar.

So far I have kicked my tea habit and somewhat kicked my chocolate habit. I have also kicked my caffine (pop) habit. This is my next goal. I know its healther for me and it would be cheaper also.

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Kashi Cereals are YUM and healthy too :drinker: Currently I'm on a kick with the Autumn Harvest one (it has a nice sweetness to it but it's a natural sweeter, something like dried beet sugar?..ok ok, I should be in bed..:yawn: :noway: :yawn: not sure how much sense I"m making here:blushing: :laugh: ) ...least I think that's what it's called.... It's sorta like small shredded wheat squares...ok, sorta not too:blushing: :laugh: Might be better to Google a picture or check the stores next time you go.

Ok, so what I do is make a trail mix at times... I try to do carb/protein combo at all my mini-meals. So I might toss in a cup of cereal, 2 T. Raisons, 22 Raw Almonds (serving size) stick it in a baggie, shake it up.......... munch on it before the gym and the rest after.

So off to bed I go:blushing: :yawn: :bigsmile:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I suggest you start small. Get some Honey Bunches of Oats, or Cranberry Almond Cruch. These cereals still have A LOT of sugar, but they are better for you then Cap'n Crunch and what not. Once you eat these (and love em), start getting healthier and healthier options. I use fruit instead of sugar. I love Cheerios with bananas, strawberry's, or dried cranberrys! I can't eat a sugar-cereal and enjoy it at all. Eventually your tastes will change, just wien yourself off!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Honey Comb :bigsmile: Its sweet, and it has one of the lowest point values for the amount you can eat of any 'sugar cereal' in their book. I love it.
  • fit_amy
    Options
    I'd eat one of the suggested 'healthy' cereals in the morning, and keep your 'special' cereal for dessert!! YUM! Just try not to make it a daily dessert :) oh, and make sure to measure it! It's really easy to accidentally have 1.5 cups instead of 3/4 cup or whatever the serving size is
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, and not just Quaker instant. :tongue: Buy the slow-cook, steal cut, multigrain variety, which is not mushy and has tons of texture. (I have to get it from the health food store. I think Hodgson Mills makes some, and I'll also buy several different oats -- oatmeal, wheat, kamut, barley, rye -- and mix them to create my own). Add an apple and some nuts for lots of crunch, and skim milk for moisture. I add Stevia to sweeten, and sometimes raisins.

You can also make your own muesli. If you want a recipe, I can find you one. :flowerforyou: (This is something on my "to try" list that I haven't done yet.)

I used to be a huge cereal eater, too. One of my favorites was frosted shredded wheat. I loved super-sweet granola. Lots of milk poured on top quenched my thirst. Almost all cereals are full of sugar, and they are some of the most processed foods. They are not as healthy as advertising companies would like us to think.

Now I'm an oatmeal addict instead. I eat it nearly every morning. :happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My kids (like all kids) love sugar cereals, but as a mother I feel bad giving it to them. So I usually buy granola or cheerios and I do half and half with them. So usually with every bite, they're getting their sugar cereal, but it's not a saturation of it. Maybe you could try this, say 75% sugar cereal/25% not sugary, then slowly change the dynamics until you have weaned yourself off it.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Shredded mini wheats--frosted varieties. I love Cinnamon Streusal. It's just sweet enough but good for you. Fiber, no sodium, etc. Throw in some Splenda or other sweetener and it's great. My breakfast just about every day.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love Special K Fruit and Yogurt! It's got some sweetness to it too! I HATE all other cereals though (I know I'm weird) so I can't really compare it to anything :laugh:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Should I be ashamed to admit that I have Cocoa Pebbles for breakfast at least 2-3 days a week.
    So full of sugar, but so good and there's that chocolate milk at the end after you've eaten the cereal
    :laugh:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My kids (like all kids) love sugar cereals, but as a mother I feel bad giving it to them. So I usually buy granola or cheerios and I do half and half with them. So usually with every bite, they're getting their sugar cereal, but it's not a saturation of it. Maybe you could try this, say 75% sugar cereal/25% not sugary, then slowly change the dynamics until you have weaned yourself off it.

I was going to suggest the same thing - mix the sugary cereal with something not! I do this when I really want something like frosted flakes, I want that taste but not all the sugar.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I'm a honey nut cheerio guy myself. Overall not bad in the health department and has just enough yummyness to keep me off the count chocula. sitting right between the four year old and the two year old munching on there lucky charms can be tough, but those cheerios get me through. Good luck fellow cereal junky.

lol :bigsmile: