Energy for the gym in the morning?

Options
An average morning for me is getting up anywhere between 5:30 - 8am. (Time is up to me! :laugh: ) I don't have to be to class til 10:30am and my house, the gym, and class are within 10 mins of each other!

I would LOVE to spend an hour in the morning working out. I'm awake 99% of the time and usually spend my morning picking up the house or siting on my computer. The problem is I have no energy! I can only work out for a good 20 mins in the morning vs a good 45 mins in the evening. I eat a good breakfast (either cereal or eggs and ham lunch meat with toast) but it takes me til at least 9:30am to feel anything and then it's to late to go.

Should I change my eating? Should I just go and in a few days I'll get used to it? Should I just not worry about it since working out at night and been working for me?

The only reason I really want to change is so I'm not running out the door the second I finish dinner and I can spend more time with my husband. (That hour a night makes a huge difference when you know in a year he's going to be gone for a year :grumble: )

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    An average morning for me is getting up anywhere between 5:30 - 8am. (Time is up to me! :laugh: ) I don't have to be to class til 10:30am and my house, the gym, and class are within 10 mins of each other!

I would LOVE to spend an hour in the morning working out. I'm awake 99% of the time and usually spend my morning picking up the house or siting on my computer. The problem is I have no energy! I can only work out for a good 20 mins in the morning vs a good 45 mins in the evening. I eat a good breakfast (either cereal or eggs and ham lunch meat with toast) but it takes me til at least 9:30am to feel anything and then it's to late to go.

Should I change my eating? Should I just go and in a few days I'll get used to it? Should I just not worry about it since working out at night and been working for me?

The only reason I really want to change is so I'm not running out the door the second I finish dinner and I can spend more time with my husband. (That hour a night makes a huge difference when you know in a year he's going to be gone for a year :grumble: )
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Should I just go and in a few days I'll get used to it?

Should I just not worry about it since working out at night and been working for me?

I vote for the first idea. . .

and then, if after a week or so you're still not used to it. . .

I vote for the second idea!:flowerforyou:
  • 123purple
    Options
    I think it's a matter of trying to set up a morning routine for yourself and get used to the idea of working out in the morning. Plus, like you said, there's a big incentive to do it in the morning so you can have your evenings free to spend with your hubby. I'd give it a shot for a week see how you feel and go from there. Personally, I love working out in the morning. It gets me going for the rest of the day and I've also got it out of the way and I'm free to do whatever in the evenings.
  • mlck2323
    Options
    rather than eating your breakfast before you workout, I've found success making a protein shake with a teaspoon or two of instant coffee mixed into it--you get the energy you need from the shake which is a lot easier to digest prior to the workout, plus some caffeine to get you out the door!

Good luck.