How do you guys accurately log your calories lost post work

Options
Hi! I was hoping you guys could help me out. I usually try to do at least 3 x a week of intense eliptical and treadmill exercise. In total I do about 45 min on the eliptical and running 20 min on the treadmill. When I log them, MFP gives me one number and my eliptical machine gives me another number - usually a much bigger loss. I've also tried two different calculators on line and again, I get two different numbers. How do you guys accurately log your loss'? I just don't want to over eat, but at the same time, I don't want to under eat either and risk pushing my body into starvation mode.

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I use a HRM and stop it once I'm below about 115 BPM which means I don't record a lot of cals lost.
    I eat back everything I do log and lose.

I'd say the machines are more likely inaccurate unless you're a male in which case they might not be 'as' inaccurate.
    MFP is over too.
    Maybe average online calculators?

You won't go into starvation mode if you eat 1200+
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont.

i dont log my exercise
  • runpiggyrun
    Options
    I would be interested in an answer to this, although when I exercise I dont eat all my exercise calories but I up my intake to 1300-1500 for that day. I went mountain biking yesterday 2.5 hours had 5 steep inclines and lots of off road surfaces and I also use runkeeper that tracks my workout via GPS. Idid 10.95 miles and it said I used 1400 cals, MFP said 1700. However, I ate only 1400 cals yesterday which is more than enough for me. so would be interested in the acuracy of cals used x
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM monitor - yesterday the treadmill said I burned 400 cals but my HRM calculated it at 200cals - when I put my total gym session into MFP it said I'd burned 659 whereas my HRM had a total of 450cals

If I don't have my HRM on I just won't log any cals
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Are you setting your weight and height on the machines at the gym before working out? Unless you do it won't be very accurate.

I use a heart rate monitor, I highly recommend getting one, but if you can't afford one you can work it out if you take your pulse using this process:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/452477-how-do-i-calculate-calories-burned-based-on-heart-rate/
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I log the lowest option that I find then I know I can't overeat. You're not going to undereat, the difference won't be big enough.

HRM - apparently they're the best thing to do but they're a ridiculous price and aren't accurate until you get towards the better quality ones - I reckon you'd have to pay at least £60-70 for one you can trust - insane!!
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump, which HRM is the best? like not just for running but exercising at home. accurate.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Bump, which HRM is the best? like not just for running but exercising at home. accurate.

Polar FT4 or FT7 should work just fine.. They are basic HRM's that count calories pretty accurately and are recommended by pretty much everyone on this site.

"I reckon you'd have to pay at least £60-70 for one you can trust - insane!!"
    Considering thats about 85-100 dollars in the united states, 60 to 70 euros for a quality HRM is not actually that insane.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Polar FT4 or FT7 should work just fine.. They are basic HRM's that count calories pretty accurately and are recommended by pretty much everyone on this site.

"I reckon you'd have to pay at least £60-70 for one you can trust - insane!!"
    Considering thats about 85-100 dollars in the united states, 60 to 70 euros for a quality HRM is not actually that insane.

It is when you consider that that's not far off the same amount of money that I'd spend in an entire week - and I don't think I'm unusual. And all it does is tell you what you're doing. You've already done the work and you're still paying through the nose to be given a number which you could get for free on the internet. I'd rather take a little less accuracy and eat a little less (hey, even more money saved!)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM (heart rate monitor) and love it. I bought mine New in package off Ebay for 30.00 and free shipping its a Ekho E-15
    very good investment imo I would have spent more on just a regular watch lol so not pricie at all
  • ValgA
    ValgA Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you for the article! I'll definitely check it out!
  • ValgA
    Options
    Oh and I'll definitely research these Polar watches. I'm getting a lot of mix reviews so far.
  • ValgA
    Options
    Oh and I'll definitely research these Polar watches. I'm getting a lot of mix reviews so far.