biker chick: thunder thighs

Options
Thank you to all the MFP folks who have welcomed me so far! Please - can anyone help me with My Most Annoying Problem???
Since my arrival in Europe a little over 9 months ago, I have been biking all over the place - which I truly love. BUT, my thighs have grown uber-huge and I can no longer fit comfortably into my regular jeans!
I have been doing some pilates in the evenings, but are there any other tips to try to slim them down - just a little?!?! Thanks again!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• meisje
    meisje Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all the MFP folks who have welcomed me so far! Please - can anyone help me with My Most Annoying Problem???
    Since my arrival in Europe a little over 9 months ago, I have been biking all over the place - which I truly love. BUT, my thighs have grown uber-huge and I can no longer fit comfortably into my regular jeans!
    I have been doing some pilates in the evenings, but are there any other tips to try to slim them down - just a little?!?! Thanks again!
    :flowerforyou:
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. I've just taken up spinning class and really love it. But the last thing I want it thighs...yuck. :noway:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Same problem!

I've been working out for about three months. Mostly cardio stuff...NO WEIGHTS with my legs. I hike, walk, jog, Zumba, and do step aerobics, different exercise each day at least 3 days a week, usually 4-5.

So heres the problem...my legs have become HUGE!!! :sad: Especially my calves. They are very fit and firm...but they are enormous!!!

HELP!!!
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think once we get closer to our goals and the fat in our legs decreases...it will reveal long muscular lean legs. That's what I'm hoping at least!
    My spin instructor has great legs so that's what is motivating me. :happy:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    You may just be genetically predisposed to build muscle in your legs......I know I am. That's why I have such a hard time finding jeans that fit me both in the waist and legs.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is genetics, so you may just be pre-disposed to this. However, the main thing to look good is to have a proportioned body, so make sure your booty is getting some workout too. Getting rid of fat tissue will also help, but it can take a considerable amount of time.
  • Konahottie
    Konahottie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As a fellow biker i have the same issue!! And it's nice to hear others have trouble with the jeans fitting thing.
    I mix it up with running in the off season.It seems to help a bit but this year has been bad and frustrating as I did alot of Downhill biking (no climing) and I really didn't loose in the thigh area. I love my legs except my thighs...so I guess I can't really answer your question as to what to do but I feel you pain :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You may just be genetically predisposed to build muscle in your legs......I know I am. That's why I have such a hard time finding jeans that fit me both in the waist and legs.

Yes, here too. Actually, my mother used to go running but had to give it up because her doctor said when her muscles expanded they cut off the circulation to her legs, making her feet go numb. We are short, stocky people (probably decendents of a tree dwelling humanoid, that was frequently attacked by large, slow predators). I once dreamed of long slender legs, genetics just chose to give me something different. :sad:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    (probably decendents of a tree dwelling humanoid, that was frequently attacked by large, slow predators).

I had to say that I ROFL'ed :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok in my humble opinion

Healthy, sleek, musculare thighs, calves and buttocks are just plain SEXY!!

I am hoping to acheive the problems of which you complain:laugh: :laugh:

00020333.gif
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I can tell you how to get smaller thighs, but you won't like it. Here it is:

Stop biking and let the muscles in your legs atrophy (this means get smaller and weaker).

There are no exercises that will make your muscles smaller. They can either stay the same size, or get bigger. The only thing that makes you smaller is a reduction in fat due to eating fewer calories than you need to maintain. Sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • melissa91971
    Options
    I have asked about it before and was told pilates is the only thing that elongates the muscles. Any stretching type of exercize is good for your muscles and lentghens them making you look thinner with the same amount of muscle:wink:

hope that helps.
    ~Mel
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have asked about it before and was told pilates is the only thing that elongates the muscles. Any stretching type of exercize is good for your muscles and lentghens them making you look thinner with the same amount of muscle:wink:

hope that helps.
    ~Mel

While pilates does help increase stability, strength, and maybe flexibility, it can't actually lengthen an entire muscle. Stretching can pull apart the microscopic elements that perform a contraction in the muscle, but it would be in microscopic amounts, nothing visible. And following a contraction, they'd move close together once again. The only way you can physically lengthen a muscle is by opening the skin, detaching the muscle from its original attachment point, and moving it down farther. But then it wouldn't work anymore. So it's really best to keep your muscles at the length they've always been. :wink:
  • melissa91971
    Options
    Thanks! It means a lot to have your knowledge. I was way wrong and it's good to know the truth.:blushing:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Oh you weren't way wrong, it's just that 'elongate' has come to mean something that it shouldn't. Pilates is still great, it's just an unfortunate fact that we can't make ourselves look 'longer'. If I could, I would, because I'm a short 5'0 LOL :tongue: