Anyone else using slim fast?

Started the slim fast diet yesterday.. Anyone else using it? x

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    I used to... It's very affordable and tastes really good... but as I learned more, I sought out less sugary options with more natural ingredients. But I used it way back and it did help....
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Use Whey protein instead...slim fast has little to no protein in it. Slim fast is 110 cals a scoop and like 7 grams of protein? I have no idea since it's been over a year since I last used it. The brand I use (Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate) has 25g protein a scoop and 140 cals. So for the extra 30 calories it'll leave you fuller longer, plus give your body the protein it needs.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Protein powder is good... but make sure you read the label. Slim fast does offer some vitamins and other ingredients where many protein powders focus purely on protein alone and BCAA (amino acids).
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    I used it when I first started as breakfast right after workout. it worked pretty well. Helped me get started.
  • baileylm
    baileylm Posts: 23 Member
    I drink slimfast for breakfast. But it is pretty high in sugar. And I would prefer to get my nutrients from natural sources. So, I've ordered a juicer and as soon as it arrives, I'll quit drinking slimfast. But, absent other options, I don't think it is a bad choice. However, I personally would not recommend substituting slimfast for more than one meal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I was going to do it for a week or two.

Then I picked up a can of it and read the ingredients.
  • It is only just helping me get started my friend has used it and she has lost a lot of weight. I had protein shakes as my snacks so I am summising I should be fine. xx
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    consider other shakes, if you like pre mixed muscle milk light or eas protien shakes have lower or none sugar, slimfast is high in sugar and also has enough niacin to give you the flush effect
  • consider other shakes, if you like pre mixed muscle milk light or eas protien shakes have lower or none sugar, slimfast is high in sugar and also has enough niacin to give you the flush effect

I am slightly confused.. Could you dumb that down a bit for me.. I am not the celverest girl in the world lol. xx
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    It is only just helping me get started my friend has used it and she has lost a lot of weight. I had protein shakes as my snacks so I am summising I should be fine. xx

If your only goal is to see the numbers on the scale go down, then you will (as long as you stick to it). You'll be cutting way back on calories, so that would be the obvious effect.

However, if you are thinking about overall health, they are a horrible, horrible choice. Any chemical you can think of, not to mention trans fat, is in those things.

Blech. Not worth it to me.
  • It is only just helping me get started my friend has used it and she has lost a lot of weight. I had protein shakes as my snacks so I am summising I should be fine. xx

If your only goal is to see the numbers on the scale go down, then you will (as long as you stick to it). You'll be cutting way back on calories, so that would be the obvious effect.

However, if you are thinking about overall health, they are a horrible, horrible choice. Any chemical you can think of, not to mention trans fat, is in those things.

Blech. Not worth it to me.

I just want to lose weight and quick. xx
  • lookpretty
    consider other shakes, if you like pre mixed muscle milk light or eas protien shakes have lower or none sugar, slimfast is high in sugar and also has enough niacin to give you the flush effect

I am slightly confused.. Could you dumb that down a bit for me.. I am not the celverest girl in the world lol. xx

Slimfast works as a meal replacement tool, slimfast can come either in prepackaged shakes or powders, someone else suggested other protien powders, I suggested pre mixed shakes, the issue I have with slimfast is they have I believe 26 or 28 grams of sugar, musle milk and eas brand shakes have 0-2 grams, with that high of a sugar content you will get a crash, but while you are on a rush you will feel the effects of an additive they put in, niacin, youll sometimes see it listed as a b vitamin, it opens your blood vessels and supposedly helps you metabolise fat, but because it opens your blood vessels you get a warm fuzzt feeling in your face and can sometimes make you feel dizzy, combined with the sugar rush I just suggest you go on a different meal replacement shake that has higher protien, lower sugar, and less niacin, I personally suggest muscle milk
  • consider other shakes, if you like pre mixed muscle milk light or eas protien shakes have lower or none sugar, slimfast is high in sugar and also has enough niacin to give you the flush effect

Slimfast works as a meal replacement tool, slimfast can come either in prepackaged shakes or powders, someone else suggested other protien powders, I suggested pre mixed shakes, the issue I have with slimfast is they have I believe 26 or 28 grams of sugar, musle milk and eas brand shakes have 0-2 grams, with that high of a sugar content you will get a crash, but while you are on a rush you will feel the effects of an additive they put in, niacin, youll sometimes see it listed as a b vitamin, it opens your blood vessels and supposedly helps you metabolise fat, but because it opens your blood vessels you get a warm fuzzt feeling in your face and can sometimes make you feel dizzy, combined with the sugar rush I just suggest you go on a different meal replacement shake that has higher protien, lower sugar, and less niacin, I personally suggest muscle milk

Is that affordable though? xx
  • lookpretty
    The alternatives are comparable in price if not cheaper, a canister of EAS is 10 dollars, the premixed are slightly more expensive, if you are going long term ordering a canister of unjury, 20 dollars but almsot 3 times the size of a 8-12 dollar canister of slimfast (which is mixed with milk, this does not have to be), it is medical grade protien, higher quality vitamins and a better balance of nutrition intended for hospital patients but then opend to the public for physician supervised weight loss, you can find it online
  • lookpretty
    Also didnt mention the calories per ounces are very similar if not slighty lower, you are looking at 120 for slimfast, 100 for muscle milk light, 110 or 115 for eas, and I believe 130 for unjury mixed with normal soy milk, less if light soy milk, or same for skim milk, or even less with water ( i prefer almond milk)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Everyone I have ever known who used it had gained all the weight back as soon as they stopped. Unless you plan to drink it forever. I like food better.
  • nwohler
    nwohler Posts: 55 Member
    I've been using Slim-fast since the end of June, I drink one for breakfast and one for lunch. I include healthy snacks in between and eat a balanced meal for dinner. I've also been working out, so with that combo I've lost about 19 pounds. I never feel funny after drinking it, I always feel satisfied. In the past I've used it to jump start my weight loss, but now I'm happy to use it everyday.
  • Mizz_Jessica
    Mizz_Jessica Posts: 2 Member
    I started using it a little over a week ago. I usaully only have one shake or bar a day. I eat this during work. I don't take a break at work, so it is nice that I can just pop a can open and drink it well still working. I sometimes have it for breakfast as well. I take my chocolate royal powder, add skim milk, a single instant coffee pack, and some ice cubes (made with coffee) and put it in the blender. It is a yummy treat in the morning when you are craving sweet coffee drink.

10129576.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    No, I like food :)
  • cambam84
    cambam84 Posts: 59 Member
    There are so many different reactions on here which is great to see. So i started slim fast this week. I do great with it throughout the day, but when it comes to the meals I struggle to eat so balanced because I haven't had the food substance for the rest of the day. I decided to start it because I want to loose weight, but also because my mom is on a medically supervised liquid diet and I wanted to do something along with her to help support her. If there are any other options out there that are similar to slimfast I am open for suggestions!