calorie intake

Options
Is it fair to say that the intake of your calories, that you should be taking them all away in exercising?
So if Iam eating 600 calories a day I should be burning off 600 calories in exercising?
Just trying to figure all this out.
I was exercising 5 days a week it was INTENSE exercising and I was not losing along with eating very healthy, so I went to 3 days a week I have however dropped 5 pants sizes in the last year but I really want to see it on the scale also and I have a hard time that I am not

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you want to have a NET of at least 1200 calories. If you eat 1500 and exercise to burn 300, then that's a net of 1200. (1500 - 300 = 1200)

But even at a net of 1200 sometimes I would stall out and my body needs MORE FUEL. So, if I understand correctly, you are saying you eat 600 and burn 600? That's a net of zero and thus complete and total starvation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is it fair to say that the intake of your calories, that you should be taking them all away in exercising?
    So if Iam eating 600 calories a day I should be burning off 600 calories in exercising?
    Just trying to figure all this out.
    I was exercising 5 days a week it was INTENSE exercising and I was not losing along with eating very healthy, so I went to 3 days a week I have however dropped 5 pants sizes in the last year but I really want to see it on the scale also and I have a hard time that I am not

No. remember that your body burns calories even if you slept all day, and you need calories to function. Like the first responder said you should aim for a minimum of 1200 Net (maybe even more)

so if you burn 600 from exercise the least amount you should eat would be 1800 (1200+600).

Just follow what MFP tells you to eat and you should be okay.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    No. You should be adding the exercise calories along with the goal calories and eating them all. 600 calories a day is not healthy.
    Then if you are exercising them your body is not getting any nutrition at all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Read these. They will answer most of your questions.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh gosh I can't stress that enough, if you only eat what you burn excercising how the heck is your body going to function?! Calorie power your brain, heart, kidney, liver...If you don't have enough calories for them to function you're body basically breaks down everything it can to get that energy, including your organs!

Never have less than 1200 net
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I will read them
    I just have a really hard time eating all my calories.....I am not realy hungry and not eating enough I just have a hard time doing so...
  • 4himalone
    Options
    great topic bump!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Thank you...I will read them
    I just have a really hard time eating all my calories.....I am not realy hungry and not eating enough I just have a hard time doing so...

This could be related to the fact that your metabolism has slowed down from years of crash diets and poor eating... My mom, who I just introduced to this site has the same problem. She has spent years telling herself to eat little bits... She needed to starve herself to loose weight. This has slowed down her metabolism so much that she has little appetite and can't loose weight.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, you received alot of very good answers, very informative. Good luck with the scales. You will see the results.