Why am I always hungry?

I'm hungry...why am I always hungry? I eat and one hour later or less I am hungry again. I eat several smaIl meals a day. I drink lots of water, so I don't think it is thirst masked as hunger. I eat all of my calories everyday, including the exercise ones. I usually don't go over on anything except just a bit of protein most days. Yet, I am always hungry! Always! Others have trouble eating their calories up. This is as foreign to me as the Russian language. I would have no trouble eating mine and theirs too! I am taking control of my eating...I am exercising regularly...I am losing pounds. But it sure would be a lot easier, if I wasn't so hungry all the time.

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I wish I could offer some help, but I have been hungry most of the time for the last year. :ohwell:
  • its hard to tell unless you make your diary publix
    i nosh on grilled chix breasts all day most of the time
    i make a bunch a few tiomes a week & eat them plain or throw it in a salad
    my husband wants to know how i can be losing weight since all iseem to do it eat
    if your hungry, eat more, just watch what it is
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    I would have to be able to see your diary in order to give you specific advice. I will recommend eating more fiber and protein. These will keep you satisified longer than carbs and sugars will.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It would help if your diary was made public so we could review and give constructive advice... But if you're not confortable with that, I'd say up your protein. It's one thing you can go over on without worrying about it and most folks here that know about the micronutrients will tell you MFP has it set too low anyway, especially for active individuals.

I can tell you from personal experience that this has made all the difference for me. I used to eat something like Cheerios, milk and a banana for breakfast and I'd be starving 2 hours later. Now I eat either eggs or Kashi (protein enriched) oatmeal and it sticks with me much longer. Also, I've read several articles that indicate that a larger breakfast will help keep you full for a long period of time. So maybe re-evaluate breakfast, try a bigger, higher protein option for a week or two and see how you feel.

Are you getting all your water in? Sometimes the body signals hunger when it really only needs hydration.
  • PurpleLadyTx
    PurpleLadyTx Posts: 3 Member
    same for me - wish I knew the answer.. if you find out, please let ME know!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Without knowing what you are eating, I can't say for sure. Are you eating a lot of refined flours and/or sugars? Are you drinking water? Are you eating plenty of fruits and veggies?
    I have cut refined sugar and flours from my diet completely. I know when I used to eat it I could never get enough. I often thought I was hungry when in fact my body was just not getting the nutrition it needed from the foods I was eating
  • Can you make your diary open so we can offer some advice??
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Your body is going through withdraw. It will stop after a while and you will probable go through a time when you're not hungry at all. After that you will get into a zone. Don't give up it will pass. Try to have a little more protein, it helps. Egg white (1/2 cup before cooking) omelets are good without adding a lot of calories. I eat mine with 1/4 cup frozen peppers, onions, 1/4 tomatoand a short spray of non stick butter. Only 73 cal, 1 fat, 2 carbs and 10 protein. Add 1 piece of low carb bread and you have a healthy meal or snack anytime.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Are you really hungry ~ belly-grumbling hungry?? Or do you just THINK you are? Until recently, I thought I was hungry all the time too ~ but turns out I was really hungry for something else ~ a mental hunger ~ and ended up substituting food for that lack of whatever it was that was missing during that particular day/time. Next time you feel "hungry" ~ take a minute and tune into your belly? Is your BELLY telling you it needs to be fed ~ or is that hunger coming from somewhere else. Good luck!!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    You might want to make your food diary public so people can make suggestions. I'm guessing you need to include some higher calorie foods that help keep you feeling full - things with "good fats" like nuts and seeds, olive oil, avocado, fish oil. Our bodies need these good fats every day in order to run smoothly and keep us from feeling hungry. Beans are great for that, too. If you're eating "empty" calories such as white flour products and sugar, then you're robbing your body instead of nourishing it.

Experiment with eating differently, do some research on "good fats" and oils. Walnuts are especially good (omega-3s). 7 walnut halves are about 93 calories. Brazil nuts and almonds are great, too. Stay away from processed foods.

Hope this helps, I know it's not fun always feeling hungry!
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    I agree that sugar can be a big pit. If I eat any sugar I will crave more food. I do only whole grains and only sugar free treats and I no longer get that desperate feeling all the time. Looks like you have a small kid in the house. Kids mean there are lots of treats in the house. ITs hard to stay away. I also keep grilled or baked chicken in the house all the time. If I am really hungry I can have a good meal ready very fast. Steam some vegies heat 3 oz of chicken and its done. Old Weight watchers wisdom.. Never let yourself get too hungry or too tired. I also keep the weight watcher garden vegi soup on hand. A cup is only about 35 calories and is very satisfying. I make it as written except that I add 1 T of Soy. Basic Recipe: 3 C Fat free broth, 1 C Chopped Cabbage, 1 C Chopped fresh Spinich, 1 C choped zuchini (yellow squash is fine too) 2T Tomato paste, 1T + oregano, 1T + basil, 1/2 C sliced or choped carrots, 1/4 C chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped. Put a bit of the broth in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and carrots until the onion and garlic are clear (about 5 min). Add to the rest of the ingredients in a soup pan (Except Zuchini). Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 15 min. Add Zuchini and cook an additional 4 -5 minutes) Add soy sauce to taste.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Broken record, here. :-) I was always hungry when I was A) not eating enough/had my calorie goal too high and B) When I was eating lots of processed foods. My snack would be a special K 90 calorie bar or a Fiber One bar...i.e. sugar and carbs. My breakfast is big. oatmeal with natural PB, and greek yogurt. Lots of protein and whole grains there. Almonds, an apple, high protein/low carb bars to throw in the gym bag. The cleaner the food, the more you can eat typically. Salads are HUGE. Lots of good fats (sunflower seeds, avocado) and a big chicken breast. Keeps me full. You really need to open your diary for us to truly help. -/ Good luck!
  • GentlyLosing
    GentlyLosing Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you for all your suggestions. I will definitely be changing my breakfast (more protein, less cereal) and snacks (more protein, less yogurt and granola bars). I certainly eat a lot of fruit already, but probably not enough veggies, just one big salad each day at lunch and a veggie with my sweet potato at night (no, I don't put sugar or butter on it, just cinnamon).

I am NOT comfortable opening my diary for all to see. I look at it and don't feel I have anything to be ashamed of, yet putting it up for public display strikes terror in my heart. This is just where I am at right now.

Again, thank you all...I do feel I got some great feedback!
  • GentlyLosing
    Your body is going through withdraw. It will stop after a while and you will probable go through a time when you're not hungry at all. After that you will get into a zone. Don't give up it will pass. Try to have a little more protein, it helps. Egg white (1/2 cup before cooking) omelets are good without adding a lot of calories. I eat mine with 1/4 cup frozen peppers, onions, 1/4 tomatoand a short spray of non stick butter. Only 73 cal, 1 fat, 2 carbs and 10 protein. Add 1 piece of low carb bread and you have a healthy meal or snack anytime.

I really believe you are correct about the withdrawal. I have only been working at this for a few weeks. I hope my stomach gets with the program and soon. Thank you so much!!
  • GentlyLosing
    Are you really hungry ~ belly-grumbling hungry?? Or do you just THINK you are? Until recently, I thought I was hungry all the time too ~ but turns out I was really hungry for something else ~ a mental hunger ~ and ended up substituting food for that lack of whatever it was that was missing during that particular day/time. Next time you feel "hungry" ~ take a minute and tune into your belly? Is your BELLY telling you it needs to be fed ~ or is that hunger coming from somewhere else. Good luck!!

This is a valid point, because I have always been an emotional eater. However, my stomach does growl and carry on something fierce. I think I have created a monster with my past overindulgences. I always knew when I gave in to emotional eating that I wasn't even hungry. Thank you for a very insightful bit of advice!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Often, we think we're hungry when we are just digesting, or think we are hungry simply because we are not stuffed. I know I'm feeling that right now! I wish I could find a pill that made me just a luittle sick to my stomach - not enough to puke, just enough for food to be gross.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Oh, also - of course you are always hungry. That's how you gained the weight you are here to lose!