Ladies only please :-)

Options
I just started a new birth control after being on the same one for like 4 years. My doctor warned me that switching after being on the same one for so long, I was more prone to experience side effects, especially as my body adjusts to the different types of hormones in the pill.

Well one of those symptoms is nausea, and until my body adjusts to the pill completely (anywhere from 1-3 months), I will be experiencing these symptoms.

Does anyone have any "remedies" for nausea? I'm worried that it will interfere with my eating/exercise habits!! :-(

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Ginger helps.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Ginger and peppermint are natural nausea remedies... you can grate some fresh giner and just eat it or use powdered stuff and you can drink peppermint tea.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I switched to low-estrogen birth control several years ago and I love it because it has zero side effects and works exactly the same. I often wonder why doctors don't recommend it for healthy-weight individuals (which you look like you are).

There is no way I would put up with nausea for 1-3 months!!
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ginger!!! Make some ginger tea or if you need something quick sip on some ginger soda (is there Diet ginger - I'm sure; there's diet everything these days lol).
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can think of (as recommended by OB-BYN when I was preggy)
    was saltines to help with nausea.
    maybe some1 else will have other ideas. =)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    try taking it before bed, you can't feel nauseous if your asleep
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! It works so well!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but years ago when I was on BC, I found that if I let myself get too hungry, the nausea was worse. Try not to let yourself get too hungry, even a few crackers w/a little peanut butter helped me. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Animals2011
    Options
    ginger and pepperment work great!
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would treat the nausea just like morning sickness Saltine crackers or goldfish before getting out of bed. Maybe iced tea instead of coffee and good ole chicken noodle soup. Have some peppermint candies to suck on at all times. Good luck :)
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    ginger n lemonade works for me... lately i take fresh lemon n just squeeze it into water
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Something carb-y always helps if I'm feeling queasy. Some pretzels, crackers, chips. Not the most weight-loss friendly, but if you just have a true serving size, it's only around 100 calories or so. And way better than feeling like you're going to hurl.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Diet ginger ale doesn't seem to help me as much as the regular. I'm not sure why, and I sure wish it did, but regular ginger ale is my "go to" for an upset stomach. You might also try bitters and club soda or soda water. It doesn't taste very good, but it sure does the trick. Bitters is something used in some alcoholic drinks but it's well known for it's stomach calming properties. You can usually find it in the mixer section of any liquor store and many grocery stores, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angostura_bitters
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Check with your pharmacist about a wrist band, i think they are called sea sick bands, I had friends that used them when they were pregnant.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ginger, peppermint, Pepto Bismol.

You may not experience it for the full three months, though. Good luck!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Check with your pharmacist about a wrist band, i think they are called sea sick bands, I had friends that used them when they were pregnant.

love these. use them on long flights