Strong Lifts 5x5 questions

Options
Hello guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advise regarding the SL 5x5 program. I like it a lot. It definitely makes a lot of muscles in the body work. Both workouts A and B usually take me no more than 30-35 minutes to complete which makes it perfect for a morning workout before work. I do wonder thou about a couple of things. As far as I know the program is made to work and improve the largest muscle groups in the body but what about some of the left out muscle groups? Do people add additional exercises to make sure that the whole body get a work out? Also, do 30-35 minutes seem like a short time for those workouts? I just started 3 weeks ago so it's probably ok. The farther I go the more weights I lift the more rest in between sets I'm goint to need. So I'm guessing my workouts will be about 45 minutes just like the program shows.

I've achieved my weigh loss goal now. Unfortunately I lost a lot of muscle while losing the fat as well. Now I'm trying to bulk up. I'm now eating 2400 cals daily while maintaining at 2000. Is it too much of a surplus? My scale shows that I've gained about 1% BF over the last 3 weeks.

Thank you very much for the input as always guys!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 training routines are made to concentrate on COMPOUND lifts rather than ISOLATION lifts. It's amazing for both beginners and intermediate lifters because the nature of the exercises focus on more than one muscle group at a time. These 5x5 programs are some of the BEST for beginners to put on mass.

You are going the right route. Finish the routine, then do a different one until you have atleast a year of training under your belt.

Are you eating at a calorie surplus over your TDEE? (Nevermind, answered my own question.)

2400 calorie intake over a 2000 TDEE is about right. =)

If you can gain about 2lbs of lean muscle per month you are doing exceptional. Remember you are going to gain a little fat when eating at a surplus regardless of your training. Nature of the beast. The way to minimize the fat gain is to eat at a 10% surplus instead of 20%. Alot of bodybuilders do bulk/cut phases. Some go on a 4-6 month bulk, gain quite a bit of fat but also gain good muscle. Then cut. Rinse and Repeat.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thank you as always joejccva71. Your answers are always informative. Besides doing SL 5x5 3 times a week I also do a lot of interval training at my MMA gym. I hope that is going to minimize the fat gain. The good thing about it is that it's intervals and not just cardio like running so the MMA training shouldn't be burning my muscles to much.

While gaining 2 lbs of muscle I'm probably going to be gaining about 1 lbs of fat as well right? Or I guess it depends.

Thank you very much for the informative tips.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Thank you as always joejccva71. Your answers are always informative. Besides doing SL 5x5 3 times a week I also do a lot of interval training at my MMA gym. I hope that is going to minimize the fat gain. The good thing about it is that it's intervals and not just cardio like running so the MMA training shouldn't be burning my muscles to much.

While gaining 2 lbs of muscle I'm probably going to be gaining about 1 lbs of fat as well right? Or I guess it depends.

Thank you very much for the informative tips.

Yes you will most certainly gain some fat. Comes with the territory. Doing your MMA training is fine, just make sure you are accounting for it with the calories burned. I understand that it's in intervals but it's still burning more calories than just standing around.

You have to account for it. You should get a Bodybugg or a Bodymedia FIT bro.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'll definitely look into getting either a bodybugg or bodymedia fit. Thanks again Joe!!!