Laptop vs Netbook

Options
Okay, so this question goes to all you computer people out there. :smile:

What's better, a laptop or netbook? All I want to do is get online - watch Netflix, chat via webcam, and check my email and other websites. Just from the VERY BASIC research I did last night, I'm guessing I'll have to get a laptop. I am open to other suggestions beside a laptop/netbook. HOWEVER, I'm trying to stick with a $300 budget. :embarassed:

Replies

• igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I had both for a while. I use my computer for the same stuff. I would look into buying a refurbished mac maybe? I work for a competitor, so I shouldn't be saying that :P

Anyways the netbook is cute and convenient, but the screen is tiny! It will get frustrating, as will the tiny keyboard.

Hope this helped :)
  • myhrmiswrong
    myhrmiswrong Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out this week's Target ad. They have an Acer netbook for $249 with a $30 giftcard that will do everything you mentioned.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Laptop! I had a netbook, and the worst thing was the Intel Atom. Even if I upgraded the RAM to 2gb, Netflix videos would lag.
  • Charlene_91
    Options
    Me personally i prefer a laptop because i can't stand the little screens on the netbooks having to do all that scrolling around.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I prefer a laptop. The netbook screen is way too small for me.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Advice I was given from a friend about this same subject. "don't get anything that doesn't come with a DVD/CD player/burner"

Which ended up being good advice because half my programs have to be installed via CD/DVD (like the printer, video games etc).

Last I checked I think that basically kills off the netbook.
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001159.htm

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/netbook-guide.html

If u re interested in mostly accessing internet u can go for a netbook too , if u still want some stuff in your laptop u should go for a laptop ... . I 'd go for a laptop because can be much more useful than a netbook but ... it all depends on your needs
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A laptop is definitely a better bet. Netbooks don't really let you do too much, because they are crazy slow and don't have much memory and what not. I'm not sure if you'll be able to find a good laptop for $300 though.
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    I have a 10" toshiba netbook and as long as I'm not working in Excel or anything of the sort, the 10" screen is sufficient for basic browsing.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    netbooks are pretty useless. You can find some GREAT deals on laptops right now with back to school. I would stay away from Acer and eMachines from personal experience (bought my mom an eMachine for Christmas a couple years ago, and it was dead in 13 months flat!). I bought a Toshiba Satellite a few years ago for about 300 bucks and it is still trucking away for me!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a EEEPC netbook with a 10.1 screen, the keyboard is 95% size so its not tiny and could be had within that budget, you wont get a decent notebook for that price. The netbook should do everything you need it to do.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Laptop. You can get a loptop with 14-15 inch screen 3x the ram and HD space for not that much more. Not to mention the netbooks have slow processors.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If a main reason to use it is to watch netflix, then I'd say definitely don't get a netbook. The tiny screen will drive you NUTS.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Right on the netbook. If you are going to use it for half hour or less get that.

try to get a laptop, and I have a wireless mouse, for extended amounts of time, its a lot better.
    for $300 I doubt your going to find any sort of mac your going to like.

Try to get something with at least 1 gig of ram. I'd try to buy it online too, something that you can get with no tax and no shipping costs (if you live in the USA).

I honestly would suggest looking in the $600 - $800 range.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I had both for a while. I use my computer for the same stuff. I would look into buying a refurbished mac maybe? I work for a competitor, so I shouldn't be saying that :P

Anyways the netbook is cute and convenient, but the screen is tiny! It will get frustrating, as will the tiny keyboard.

Hope this helped :)

Good advice. You should try looking into a refurbished mac. I'm not sure of their prices though. I finally switched from PC to Mac a couple of months ago, using my college graduation money. Not cheap at all, but definitely worth forking over the extra money. I love my MacBook Pro and I will never go back to PC.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It depends on your needs. I wouldn't suggest a netbook as your main computer if you do a lot of work on it or do a lot of writing. They're great for traveling, but the screen is really small and they're much slower than a regular computer. I think you mentioned watching netflix on it - it's possible, but can be a little small. I do a lot of writing, so I use an old macbook and a large external monitor as my main computer at home, but I have a netbook for when I'm traveling.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have an Acer netbook, which I love for taking on the train/plane. I have an external memory and an attatchable DVD drive, both of which are necessary if you use it as your only computer (although I don't). I haven't had any problems and love mine. I've used it for internet, movies, writing (although it takes getting used to since the keyboard is a bit smaller).
    Good luck.

Edit: yeah, what lynn1982 said (above me)... guess we were posting at the same time. :)
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I'd have to go with a laptop because of processor speed and screen size. And I've never bought anything refurbished because I've been afraid of getting a bum deal. However, since several of you are suggesting it, perhaps I'll look into it. And my g/f was thinking of getting a Mac even though we don't really "need" one, but, perhaps that's the route I'll take - and just save up a little more money for it. :smile:

Oh and I have a desktop at home that I use for all my other stuff. This laptop I'm wanting is for me to use whenever I get bored at work...so that's why I thought of the netbook (the smaller size would be easier to hide :wink:)