Having pizza for dinner. Healthy alternatives?

I don't really want greasy pizza. Anyone know any healthier recipes? Maybe like a calzone with veggies or something?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Make a pizza on a whole grain tortilla...you control how much sauce & cheese, then load with veggies. My husband and I make them all the time with sun dried chicken sausage on them.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I make pizzas on Flat Outs sometimes. They are so yummy! It is the cheese and the bread that get you...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I still eat pizza sometimes...but I try to stick to one slice and some salad, or maybe two slices if they're on the small side!
  • certain brands have a pizza that is healthier. In the frozen food isle. I found this in fitness magazine
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/healthy-frozen-pizzas/

Stouffer's Lean Cuisine Deep Dish Margherita Pizza
    Per pie: 320 calories, 9g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 4g fiber
    The fresh-tasting sauce has real diced tomatoes. Plus, the pseudo-metallic cooking surface actually produces a crisp, golden, deep-dish-style crust.

DiGiorno Harvest Wheat Thin Crispy Crust Supreme Pizza
    Per slice: 250 calories, 8g fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 4g fiber
    If you have time to wait for an oven-baked pie, DiGiorno delivers a delicious made-with-whole-grains alternative to the standard white-flour crust.

South Beach Diet Harvest Wheat Crust Pepperoni Pizza
    Per pie: 350 calories, 12g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 9g fiber
    So it's a little higher in fat. The full-size slices of pepperoni, the evenly melted cheese, and the impressive nine grams of fiber are worth it.

Amy's Whole Wheat Crust Pizza Cheese & Pesto
    Per slice: 360 calories, 18g fat, 4g saturated fat, 2g fiber
    Pesto is a tasty twist. But beware: Organic means you're probably steering clear of pesticides and growth hormones, but it doesn't mean low-fat.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I once used an English muffin, topped with a small amount of pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, light cheese and bell peppers. Wanted the pizza taste but didn't feel guilty eating it :-D
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Digiorno has 200 calorie pizzas that I found at Walmart... I actually brought one to have for lunch today and I'm hoping it's yummy!

pizza_200_Calorie_Peperoni.jpg
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    I made a Hungry Girl pizza recipe this weekend using Chicken as the crust. If you're interested, I can PM you the recipe. I'm too lazy to type it out unless you actually want to try it. lol
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    We already bought the ingredients for it :| and don't have the money to make another trip to the store...
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    My usual is a more rustic pizza - no tomato sauce or anything... take some fresh basil, garlic, cubed pre-cooked chicken, part-skim cheese, halved grape tomatoes, onions, and whatever other veggies you want, and mix that in a bowl with a splash of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. Then spread over a thin whole wheat pre-cooked crust and heat at 400 for about 10 minutes just to warm it up. Yummy and healthy!!

I also just tried it this weekend with the zucchini crust posted on the forums a while ago, and that was pretty good! Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/294096-zucchini-crust-pizza?hl=zucchini+pizza+crust#posts-3886902
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    We already bought the ingredients for it :| and don't have the money to make another trip to the store...

Can you make a separate serving for yourself with the dough? Go light on the pizza sauce and cheese.
  • Pizza can be lower in calories as long as you stick to these common sense rules:
    1. Stick to thin crust cause that means less carbs. (Carbs are not evil, but they do have a lot of calories =P )
    2. Avoid piling on the cheese and the high fat meats like sausage, pepperoni... and other forms of pork.
    3. Put on a lot of veggies and flavor with a good pizza sauce or a good sprinkling of fresh herbs.
    4. Supposedly, if you use less melty gooey cheese and use a sprinkle of parmesan it'll still have all the flavor minus some of the calories and yummy gooey texture. :-/

My favorite pizza veggies and herbs are:
    mushrooms,
    bell peppers,
    tomatoes,
    basil,
    onions,
    olives...

and if you want to go more Asian pizza style:
    green peas
    corn
    baby corn
    squid/calamari (that's not a veggie, but it's a lean protein you can consider!)
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    If you like mushrooms, try making a miniature pizza or two for yourself using a big portobello as the "crust". Add your sauce, cheese, meat, and veggies and cook in the oven until mushroom softens up and cheese bubbles.

My favorite way: mushroom, white sauce (jalapeno alfredo!), pre-cooked chicken, and mozza, with a side salad! MmmmmMMMm
  • Flatten out reduced fat croissants, add ragu pizza sauce (or tomato sauce sprinkled with garlic powder), sprinkle with reduced fat moz. cheese, top with turkey pepperoni.

I also sprinkle with pepper flakes like you get from pizza hut. :)

I got this recipe from hungrygirl.com
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Make you pizza on a wholemeal pitta bread!

(so smear a pitta with some tomato puree, add your cheese and toppings and hey presto!)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I've decided to use some flour tortillas instead of the premade crust I bought (I can have two of the tortillas vs. 1 slice of pizza.) and I'm having my Boyfriend's father pick up some raw spinach on the way home. Just gonna have the tortillas with a little sauce, a teeny bit of cheese, and lots of spinach :)