Controling hunger and 'the shakes'

2»

Replies

• vass78
    vass78 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I will see if I can figure out how to open my food diary too.
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    cheese helps the shakes and hunger. baby bell cheese is only 70 calories and its amazing :^)
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Yep, try eating protein and some healthy fat for breakfast. If I have any processed carbs like cereal or bread in the morning my body burns right through that sugar (carbs are just sugar to your body) and I am hungry again immediately. I will have some Egg Beaters with some leftover veggies and some guacamole, a protein smoothie with some nut butter, or even chicken salad for breakfast and feel much better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    OK, took a quick look at your diary for today and I can see why you're starving. That breakfast would leave me with the shakes, too!

Try eating something a little more substantial. Half a peanut butter sandwich, maybe. Or use yogurt instead of milk with the cereal. Kashi GoLean might be a better choice than Special K, too.

A slice of whole grain peanut butter toast would also go a long way, an omelet with some veggies cooked in some healthy oil, oatmeal ...

This holds me over through past lunchtime even with a 700-calorie workout in the morning:

1/4 cup oat bran
    1 cup Silk light soy milk
    Cinnamon
    Brown sugar (just a little)
    1 T peanut butter (it melts into the cereal as you cook it)

That's a lot of protein and fiber and a little healthy fat. Perfect combination. And it takes longer to digest, so it stays with you longer than that cereal will.
  • vass78
    vass78 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks! I will try that - I keep forgetting about adding cinnamon to things in the AM - a versatile spice that gets ignored in my spice rack. I need to buy some brown sugar. I have been adding Stevia to my oatmeal, but it makes it taste like medicine.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Increase your protein. Watch your carb intake. Drink lots of water, and eat every 3 hours.

The shakes are from low blood sugar, so you need to get that to even out. By eating small meals frequently, cutting out sugars, cutting back on starches, increasing protein.. this will all help your blood sugar even out.

Also, eat cinnamon every day. Mix it into yogurt or oatmeal, and anywhere else you can add it... cinnamon has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, thus helping blood sugar to stay stable instead of doing the up and down roller coaster thing.

God bless!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    There is not an artificial sweetener out there that I can stand the taste of. I use real sugar (white or brown, depending) in moderation and honey where I can. I actually use a no-sugar-added chocolate peanut butter to sweeten my fruit smoothies a little (and add some protein).

Cinnamon is a great spice. Yummy and an appetite suppressant, so it will help a lot with your hunger issue. Also, dark chocolate is an appetite suppressant and very healthy for you in moderation. Wonderful news, eh? lol

My favorite is Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate. I was never much of a fan of the dark, but this stuff is rich and creamy and is like eating chocolate cheesecake! And being a vegetarian, I love that it's a good source of iron.
  • I have a sweet tea/coffee if I'm too hungry (not the healthy option, I know but I think a little bit of bad is okay with a lot of good). Or I exercise before a meal which makes me want to eat less. Looking forward to these answers.
  • There is not an artificial sweetener out there that I can stand the taste of. I use real sugar (white or brown, depending) in moderation and honey where I can. I actually use a no-sugar-added chocolate peanut butter to sweeten my fruit smoothies a little (and add some protein).

Cinnamon is a great spice. Yummy and an appetite suppressant, so it will help a lot with your hunger issue. Also, dark chocolate is an appetite suppressant and very healthy for you in moderation. Wonderful news, eh? lol

My favorite is Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate. I was never much of a fan of the dark, but this stuff is rich and creamy and is like eating chocolate cheesecake! And being a vegetarian, I love that it's a good source of iron.

*Like*

Very healthy! :)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    I had problems with this too, at 1200 per day that MFP had me set at, and then working in the schools where I couldn't eat in between meals. I now eat 1350 a day, and I always (especially when school is in session)start my mornings with two eggs. The eggs help my hunger so much, it comes lunch time and I'm ready to eat, but I'm not starving, don't have a headache, and I'm not shaking and light headed.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    I'm 5'3" and I weight between 135 to 140 lbs. I was 122 before baby. I don't care so much about the 'weight' in general, it's more of the excess flab around my mid-section. I can't afford new clothes right now and none of my older outfits fit me so I wear the same three pants and four shirts all week long.

I will try to take everyone's advice and see what happens. THANK YOU!

Oh the stomach after baby thing is so tough, not sure we ever go back to what we were, good luck, try not to deprive yourself too much, be kind to yourself