Diet Soda or Water?

Options
I am getting to the "water" phase but I have days where I just really want to drink diet soda. Will it hurt a healthy lifestyle to drink Diet Soda or will it stop progression on weight loss?

Replies

• The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt the weight loss, but it will make you hungry.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    You can indulge with a can maybe once a week, but I would stay away from any more than that. Even though it's "diet" it still has caffeine, which can not only dehydrate you, but it can also be addicting. You don't want that!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We all have to make choices on what we enjoy, what we want to give up, and what keeps us going. If you really want a diet soda, drink it. It has sodium and carbonation which if you drink enough of it, will affect your measurements. I still drink sodas occasionally, but I don't include them in my normal diet.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think artificial sweeteners are pure EVIL. I have a bad sensitivity to them, so I just avoid them all together. There are studies that show that diet soda can have a negative impact on your healthy diet. But, everyone is different. And if you take things in moderation, I think you'll be fine, personally. Limit your intake to 1 per day or less, and I am sure you'll be just fine.

Otherwise, try things like seltzer with a splash of fresh lemon or lime juice, or a fresh sprig of mint! It's so refreshing and you get the bubbles you love from diet soda. I've also brewed up some decaf herbal tea and mixed it in with seltzter and a wedge of lemon for a little something different than plain old water.

You can also brew decaf iced tea at home and have that with some lemon. It's a nice change of pace.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It depends. Lots of people can lose weight successfully and still drink diet soda. But there are some people who have more success cutting it out. I think it's a good idea to not have it every day, and on the days you do have it, only have one or two. But that's what works for me. I'm not a fan of absolutes. What works for me may not work for you.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Water ... water ... water!!!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Agreed. Sodium isn't great either.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

indeed I can never stay under my calories on the days I indulge in a diet coke.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I found that even when I have a diet soda just a few times a week it really made a massive difference ... so much so that when I went from having absolutely no soda and only drinking water ... to have it a few a few times a week ... I gained 5lbs! It was really a big blow and an eye opener to how much it really makes a difference. i don't believe all of it was fat, I believe most of it was water retention because of the high sodium content in soda.

Also, another thing to think about is that now "they" are saying that diet soda could have been a major contributor to the obesity epidemic in the USA because of the artificial sweeteners they use. The body doesn't know how to process these sweeteners and thus just stores it as fat. They suggest that drinking the original formula is better because it can be processed better in the body. I personally won't switch over still because of the calorie count and I would rather just eliminate it!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda (about 1/2 can or so) 1-2x a month. Other than that I drink WATER!!! :)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I have no idea about how it will affect your weight loss at this point, but I believe that if you really want it (some could call this a craving), then have it.

A craving can only lead to be things - over indulging comes to mind first.

You may find that as time goes on you no longer crave pop in any form. I have never been a big pop drinker, but I did enjoy it every once in awhile. Now I drink so much water that I'm never thirsty, thus no room for pop!

Good luck :-)
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For me...it gives me cravings, so I'm trying to have it less. It's hard to quit once you've had it for so long though.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Water is your friend... when your body sometimes appears to be hungry, often times it is likely that it is in need of hydration more then food. Diet or soda's of any kind are not natural and not part of a healthy regime. They also cause you to actually crave carbs
    more. I could go on and on... when in doubt it is WATER WATER WATER and eating every few hours to fuel the fire.

Feel free to friend me for positive food for thought left daily... Colleen (Seattle):heart:
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started by cutting back on diet soda a couple of years ago and then eventually found that I hated the taste of it. It makes me thirstier and hungrier. I cut out all artificial sweeteners. Now I drink flavored seltzer water for the fizz craving.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have been a heavy diet soda drinker for years, and I have never noticed it increasing cravings or anything, but of course it is possible. I have cut back to about 2 a day in recent weeks because we're trying to get pregnant, and I have not noticed any big changes either. I don't like water at all but I am trying to drink it. Mostly I notice the difference from the caffeine, I am more sluggish without it, but I hope the withdrawal symptoms will ease over time.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am getting to the "water" phase but I have days where I just really want to drink diet soda. Will it hurt a healthy lifestyle to drink Diet Soda or will it stop progression on weight loss?
    Use those sugar free packets you add to your water. The Great Value ones are quite tasty.
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweetener increases you insulin levels which makes you feel great, until you have a sugar crash. I try to stick with water.
  • pipinan24
    Options
    There was a thing on the television today talking about how bad some of the 'diet' things are that we all fall for and it was said that drinking diet soda will actually increase your waist size quicker than you think. Stick to water!
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    im still addicted to pop, but i switched from 6-8 regular pepsi's a day to 3-4 diet mountain dew, even though i know its not great, its still better than where i was!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 80 lbs, and I haven't given up my vice - Diet Dr. Pepper.

I do also drink a lot of water. I drink 3 liters of water a day. On top of that, I'll drink anywhere between 4 and 6 cans of diet dr. pepper.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I get my 'caffeine fix' through diet soda. It hasn't stopped my progress at all.