Bracing myself for the county fair today....

Options
Womona
Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
OK, not going to have a chance to exercise today, and have to keep to 1200 cals. I don't know what they'll serve at the fair today, but I'm pretty sure it's in the hot dog/hamburger/fries family, and even if they have a turkey wrap, I don't know the calories. Help!

Oh by the way, funnel cake is 720 cals for a whole one! I'm only having a bite or two and letting my kids split the rest. Calorie bomb!

Replies

• katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I went to the Milwaukee, WI state fair a little while ago. It was really hard to find, but I found a vegetable and chicken pita and a dark chocolate covered strawberry for my lunch.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Just keep on moving! Walk all you can. Look for things like turkey legs or chicken kebabs. Lots of fairs have healthier options these days, so just keep it in mind as you walk through. But mostly, it's just one day! Enjoy yourself and have a great time. Back on track tomorrow with a little extra exercise. You'll do great!
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    id bring a granola bar just in case theres nothing healthy!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was amazed at State Fair this year! The portion sizes were enormous and everything was deep fried! They even had deep fried butter!!!! A whole stick breaded and deep fried!
  • Womona
    Options
    I was amazed at State Fair this year! The portion sizes were enormous and everything was deep fried! They even had deep fried butter!!!! A whole stick breaded and deep fried!

Ewww, really??? Ugh, I gag just thinking about that!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    stay away from the fried stick of butter...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I used to love the fair food!! Fried Pies, Indian Tacos, Funnel Cakes, Turkey Legs on a Stick. Yum!

I bet every single one of these items would completely turn me off now if ya put it in front of me. I'd probably get real sick on the amount of sugar, grease, etc. Lovin' the new healthier lifestyle!!!!

If I was going to the fair I'd pack a snack with me. An apple, protein bar, bring a bottle of water, etc.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    this past week was our fair and I did really good IMO

I ate dinner there (other meals we left and ate in town since it was to far to go home) for dinner I had the fish fry and asked for a smaller peice as some where very large , and had a small hand full of frys (tossing the rest of them) and did a baby size ice cream (bubble gum on a regula joy cone) and 1/4th of a funnel cake ( I have a 4 person family so we each got a forth and it was perfect). I did end up going over my cals but it was only about 300ish over so not bad at all. (drink lots of water the sodium is what is going to get you more than the cals I was up alittle over 5pounds but it was all water weight and has slid right off )

I will admit I was very tempted to try some chocolate covered bacon OMG is smelled so hevenly but I resisted :)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    But it''s a fair! You are supposed to eat fried stuff Go and have fun and don't beat yourself up if you over do it...just jump on again tomorrow! No way I am going to the fair and denying myself a tasty treat or two!

Except for chocolate covered bacon. Thought about it last year but didn't get any
  • Womona
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did find ONE place that sold green salad, and there was a guy who sold a vegetarian platter of saffron rice, black beans and salsa. Of course I had funnel cake, but only a maybe a 1/5th of one, and I felt kind of icky afterwards. So, even before I deducted all the walking I did all day, I was only 54 cals over my goal. Sweet!
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the State Fair and denied myself NOTHING. :) One day isn't going to ruin things unless you can't bring yourself back on track afterward.