Noodless Lasagna

Options
shar140
shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
I posted this on the Clean Eating Club thread, but I thought I'd share it here too!

I will post the original recipe first, then I'll list my changes.

This is from "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly - Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker"

Noodless Lasagna, courtesy of Nanci Keatley of Salem, OR

Makes 4 servings, Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- or 5-quart

1.5 lb fat-free ground turkey
1.5 cups meat-free, low-sodium spaghetti sauce
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1.5 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese (part skim), divided
1.5 tsp. Italian seasoning
10 slices turkey pepperoni

1. Brown ground turkey in a nonstick skillet.
2. Add spaghetti sauce and mushrooms and mix with meat.
3. Pour half of turkey mixture into slow cooked sprayed with nonfat cooking spray.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, 1/4 cup of mozzarella, and the Italian seasoning. Beat well with a fork.
5. Lay half of the pepperoni slices on top of turkey mixture.
6. Spread half of cheese mixture over pepperoni.
7. Repeat layers, finishing by sprinkling the remaining mozzarella on top.
8. Cover. Cook on low 4-4.5 hours.

My changes:
I use 93/7 ground turkey rather than FF turkey breast, a can of tomato sauce in place of the spaghetti sauce (so I know there are no additives), and lowfat cottage cheese in place of the ricotta (mostly due to cottage cheese being cheaper). I have used egg substitue in place of the egg, but I think it might set up better using a real egg. I use shredded reduced fat mozzarella - not sure what grated mozzarella is (I guess like grated parm?). I usually leave out the pepperoni, but I've made it both ways. Depending on the cottage cheese brand, if yours is somewhat liquidy, you might want to drain some of it off. I've made this both in the slow cooker, and I've baked it in the oven, too.

Feel free to add any veggies you might like to the sauce - onion, green pepper, etc. I use this over WW pasta and it is excellent! A lot of good protein, low in fat, and clean!!

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I posted this on the Clean Eating Club thread, but I thought I'd share it here too!

This is from "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly - Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker"

8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    1 egg, beaten

3. Pour half of turkey mixture into slow cooked sprayed with nonfat cooking spray.
    4. In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, 1/4 cup of mozzarella, and the Italian seasoning. Beat well with a fork.

My changes:
    I use 93/7 ground turkey rather than FF turkey breast, a can of tomato sauce in place of the spaghetti sauce (so I know there are no additives), and lowfat cottage cheese in place of the ricotta (mostly due to cottage cheese being cheaper). I have used egg substitue in place of the egg, but I think it might set up better using a real egg. I use shredded reduced fat mozzarella - not sure what grated mozzarella is (I guess like grated parm?). I usually leave out the pepperoni, but I've made it both ways. Depending on the cottage cheese brand, if yours is somewhat liquidy, you might want to drain some of it off. I've made this both in the slow cooker, and I've baked it in the oven, too.

Feel free to add any veggies you might like to the sauce - onion, green pepper, etc. I use this over WW pasta and it is excellent! A lot of good protein, low in fat, and clean!!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    That sounds so good! Maybe I should make it for Christmas! My mom always makes lasagna for Cmas and this year I'm determined to eat healthy for it! I'm not supposed to have dairy as apart of my diet, BUT! It is Christmas after all...
  • tkarratti
    Options
    This sounds very good...and very good for you! I am gonna try it this weekend!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe, except I use eggplant peeled and sliced longwise in place of noodles, and don't add any meat.

Eggplant is great because it has a hefty substance to it, and balances well with the sauce and cheese.

This came out nicely in the crockpot - the cheese on top was nice and browned!

p.s. Also I don't use egg either - it binded just fine with the ricotta and mozarella cheeses.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    you could probably use spaghetti squash in between the layers..um,mmmm.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    1 egg, beaten

My changes:

I think zucchini sliced the long way would be good between the layers.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok. Now I just finished a full fat, carry out, Lasagna. I am stuffed and uncomfortable:sick: , so these recipes are looking mighty good to me.

Just bought a new slow cooker so I am gonna try this next week!

Thanks!:flowerforyou: