What time should I stop eating?

Options
Eating dinner together is something that's important to my husband an me, but sometimes he works a bit later and we don't get to sit down to dinner until 7:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. Is this too late? Am I hindering my own weight loss by eating later?

Replies

• Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Nope......I eat every 2-3 hours and right before bed.....works for me so then I don't wake up hungry
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. As long as you stay within your calorie goal, it doesn't matter how you space it out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Because of our schedules my husband I rarely eat before 9:00 p.m. Hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. Since I'm eating my meal at the time many start getting the late night munchies, it may have even helped it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    There is no set time you have to stop eating. As said, just stay in your calorie goals.

I tend to eat dinner between 7pm-8pm, also, due to work.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that you should not eat a few hours before bed. I stick to that but that is what works for me. However, I have also heard that as long as you are in your calories you can eat later. So, I would say figure out what works for you.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    most people say stop 2 hours before bed so you have time to digest before sleeping.
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    I was told not to eat 2 hours before bed but I'm terrible about snacking. Since being on this website I say within my numbers so I'm not totally sure.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It used to be suggested that you shouldn't eat after 8pm with the claim that this messes up your metabolism. This was later disproven. Setting this rule can often help people limit their post-supper snacking habits, which helps in reducing overall calorie intake. So, it ends up being that the total calories eaten, in whatever way works best for you, is the pivotal variable. What time you eat those calories makes no significant difference.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "finish digesting" before bed; you burn calories while you sleep! I eat right up until I go to bed! 1) because I'm hungry and 2) because I like feeding my muscles as much as I can before my hours of fasting while sleeping!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Unless you're prone to heartburn, it doesn't really matter when you eat. I have yoga from 7:30-8:45pm so by the time I get home and get dinner cooked, we're usually not eating until 9:30pm. Hubs and I have lost a combined 26lbs in the past 3 months.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The body is a 24/7 shop and doesn't stop burning calories at 7 PM. Enjoy your dinner according to your schedule and don't worry.
  • micheledunne
    Options
    everyone tells me not after 6 pm. so if I get hungry I drink alot of water. But I really think its up to you. Everyone does different things. Maybe try some different ways to see what works for your weight loss.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Studies have knocked the old wives tale about not eating after 8, or whatever. It does not matter. In fact, some studies have shown the opposite, people that eat more of their calories at the end of the day lose more weight! Someone here on MFP published a list of studies (with links) a week or two ago on this subject that was very enlightening. Good for me, cuz I like to save my calories and eat late in the day.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    What everyone has said!

Unless you have reflux/heartburn there is no reason to stop eating at a certain time (unless you have trouble controlling nighttime snackies).

I sleep better if I eat something right before I go to bed.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    here is a good article from LiveStrong.com about sleeping and the effects it has on your metabolism

http://www.livestrong.com/article/489157-does-your-metabolism-slow-down-at-night/

as for what I do in regards to eating.... i try and have my last snack or meal 1-2 hours before I go to sleep :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Studies have knocked the old wives tale about not eating after 8, or whatever. It does not matter. In fact, some studies have shown the opposite, people that eat more of their calories at the end of the day lose more weight! Someone here on MFP published a list of studies (with links) a week or two ago on this subject that was very enlightening. Good for me, cuz I like to save my calories and eat late in the day.

Not all studies have knocked it.

http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2009/09/beware-of-late-night-eating.html
    Northwestern University has just come out with a study that shows what a lot of people don’t want to hear: eating when the body prefers to be sleeping (ahem, when it’s dark outside and most of your neighbors are in bed) can have an impact on weight gain – regardless of your calorie load for the day. Timing your meals, it turns out, plays a much bigger role in your weight equation than previously thought.
  • annabaloo
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I don't feel so bad about eating later now :)

PS: I found this article, also on the LiveStrong website - http://www.livestrong.com/article/441414-is-eating-late-at-night-bad-for-weight-control/
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I try to never eat past 6pm
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I will eat in bed if I am hungry, and have a 50+ weight loss in the past 5 months. And for me, it does not matter what I eat. If I feel like fried chicken at 1130pm, I eat it. I try to stay within my calorie goal, or if I go over, I make it up the next day. Just do you.