How much protein do you really need?

jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
I don't know why, but reading this article saddens me! I really hate to see people encouraged to eat LESS protein! (especially when the theory is driven by environmental reasons!)

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need-2523319/

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I always thought one should eat .5 - 1g protein per lean body mass. My range is 67-135 protein per day. Protein is delicious!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    I for one try to get 90 to 100g of protein per day considering I strength train 4 days a week and do 30 to 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, I believe if your really active 1g per pound of weight is pretty important
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    I don't like the way this article is presented...takes protein out of context.....sounds more like the author is worried about the environment and wants you to avoid red meat because its expensive and hurts animals... Protein is important and good for you. Just watch where you are getting your sources of protein, make sure they are good sources.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    You may hate to hear it, but reducing the amount of meat we eat is one of the most important things we can do to protect our environment. We are reaching the limit of how much livestock we can raise and, if the global population continues growing the way it is, in a few generations meat won't be nearly as available as it is now. (check out www.foodmatters.org) High protein diets are fine, but try to get a good amount of that protein from non-meat sources. Go vegetables!! They're great for you too!!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Yeah I think that article was trying to say that eating too much certain types of meat is bad for your heart but if you make good choices like lean skinless chicken breast, turkey and fish you can keep your saturated fats low and get the good fats from fish and getting protein from things like broccoli ect are all good things
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    I worry when articles say that protein is not as important as we think. I read an article in a scientific journal saying that to lose weight people ought to eat an Atkins style diet (although not necessarily as extreme) containing more protein than the average british or american diet. It went on to say that the high carb diet recommended by the US and to some extent the UK governments, are in part responsible for the current obesity problems in those countries. Too much carbohydrate gets turned to fat because the body doesn't like the high blood sugar levels that high carb diets create. It also said that you have to eat a LOT of protein for it to be damaging to your health. Even on the Atkins diet, provided you are exercising every day (and that can just be walking) you are not likely to increase your cholesterol or lipid levels. Even if you were concerned about that side of things there are plenty of healthier options for protein including fish, seeds, grains, lean meats, low-fat dairy, offal, soya or tofu! As the article says, not all proteins are created equal. You can have a healthy diet rich in protein. It is saddening but at least we know what works for us.
  • You may hate to hear it, but reducing the amount of meat we eat is one of the most important things we can do to protect our environment. We are reaching the limit of how much livestock we can raise and, if the global population continues growing the way it is, in a few generations meat won't be nearly as available as it is now. (check out www.foodmatters.org) High protein diets are fine, but try to get a good amount of that protein from non-meat sources. Go vegetables!! They're great for you too!!

You may hate to hear it but not having children is one of the most important things we can do to protect our environment.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    TL;DR

...but I skimmed. It's not saying protein is bad, it's just saying you don't need copious amounts of it. Most people don't realize that the average person doesn't need as much meat as they are taking in. Also, taking in less meat is better for the environment. It's not like it says protein=bad or anything....or did it?
  • jamie1888
    My main issue is that it's suggesting that the AVERAGE women only need 55g of protein per day and that men only need 65g. First of all, what is "average"? And second of all, you can't eat that low of protein and sustain muscle mass! If I ate 55g of protein, I'd have to consume CRAZY amounts of fat and carbs to make up my caloric intake. And what would my body look like? Soft & doughy; that's what!!! :noway:
  • jamie1888
    I don't like the way this article is presented...takes protein out of context.....sounds more like the author is worried about the environment and wants you to avoid red meat because its expensive and hurts animals... Protein is important and good for you. Just watch where you are getting your sources of protein, make sure they are good sources.

Agreed!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    My main issue is that it's suggesting that the AVERAGE women only need 55g of protein per day and that men only need 65g. First of all, what is "average"? And second of all, you can't eat that low of protein and sustain muscle mass! If I ate 55g of protein, I'd have to consume CRAZY amounts of fat and carbs to make up my caloric intake. And what would my body look like? Soft & doughy; that's what!!! :noway:

Interesting, because I have great muscle tone and I eat around 60 grams of protein per day and I don't eat crazy amounts of carbs or fat in order to meet my calorie goals.

But maybe I'm just special that way.

Well, I'd guess that average sedentary intake is around 1600 for most? If your only consuming between 1500-1600 daily, then 55g of protein isn't that crazy low. Obviously a more active person needs more calories and with that, the protein levels needed would go up too. Sadly, I'm guessing the average American isn't very active, which is another problem in itself.

Interesting, because I have great muscle tone and I eat around 60 grams of protein per day and I don't eat crazy amounts of carbs or fat in order to meet my calorie goals.

No, your just consuming less calories in a day then she is so your protein levels don't need to be as high as hers. If you were more active or upping your calorie intake to maintain or gain, the amount of everything needed would be higher.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    The article is stupid. Eating meat=more polution? ORLY? How about all of the pestisides and chemicals they'd need to grow all the extra veggies if everyone stopped eating meat? Idiots.

Now, as far as protein go:

If your goal is-

Build muscle: 1g-1.5g per pound of lean mass
    Maintain muscle mass: Minimum of 0.75
    For basic health requirements: 0.5 per pound of LM
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    The article is stupid. Eating meat=more polution? ORLY? How about all of the pestisides and chemicals they'd need to grow all the extra veggies if everyone stopped eating meat? Idiots.

Now, as far as protein go:

If your goal is-

Build muscle: 1g-1.5g per pound of lean mass
    Maintain muscle mass: Minimum of 0.75
    For basic health requirements: 0.5 per pound of LM

^^ This.

The article is a pure basis of stupidity and the author of it has absolutely no clue about anything nutrition related.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

No, your just consuming less calories in a day then she is so your protein levels don't need to be as high as hers. If you were more active or upping your calorie intake to maintain or gain, the amount of everything needed would be higher.
    I burned 800 calories in my workout yesterday, then spent the day cleaning my house. This is typical for me. It's not unusual for me to burn 1,000-plus calories a day above my usual daily activities.

I'm plenty active.

I base my knowledge and opinion on needed protein on places like the Mayo Clinic and well-researched studies, not the multi million-dollar industry of protein powder vendors who have people convinced they'll be "soft and doughy" if they don't consume massive amounts of protein.

THAT is where the "you need a ton of protein" BS comes from.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    unfortunatley we are reactive and not proactive in this society. Just look at what is happening with the drought in Texas...not enough rain to grow crops for people, let alone for livestock.

This issue will continue to become more and more important.

I burned 800 calories in my workout yesterday, then spent the day cleaning my house. This is typical for me. It's not unusual for me to burn 1,000-plus calories a day above my usual daily activities.

I'm plenty active.

I base my knowledge and opinion on needed protein on places like the Mayo Clinic and well-researched studies, not the multi million-dollar industry of protein powder vendors who have people convinced they'll be "soft and doughy" if they don't consume massive amounts of protein.

THAT is where the "you need a ton of protein" BS comes from.

Oh, you must not log your exercise then? When I looked at your food diary it looked like you were only eating like 1000-1500 per day...
    **DOUBLE POST FAIL**
  • jamie1888
    Right.. obviously our caloric needs are different; that's my issue.. this article making a general statement that women should eat 55g of protein. So, for rml_16 and her goals, that might be enough. But, for me, and my goals, it's not. I would like to achieve more visible muscle than what rml_16 considers "great muscle tone". That's not a dig on rml; it's just shows that our goals are different.