Protein shakes

Options
Hey
I'm doing about 35 mins of cardio exercise everyday including running. I'm lacking energy and by the end of the week I am soo tired + I'm not losing any weight!
Does anyone know anything about protein shakes, what are the benefits??
What else is good for energy and weight loss??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I'm doing about 35 mins of cardio exercise everyday including running. I'm lacking energy and by the end of the week I am soo tired + I'm not losing any weight!
    Does anyone know anything about protein shakes, what are the benefits??
    What else is good for energy and weight loss??

Protein shakes will not do much for your energy levels, this would be more of a sleep and or lack of calorie issue. If it is a caloric thing complex carbs will help more than protein.

Are you eating your exercise calories back. If not that is probably the issue.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem a couple of months back. Biggest culprit was not enough calories or carbs. Very important to eat back exercise calories if you are on a good exercise routine. Others will argue the fact, but I eat them back now and I never feel tired or out of energy. I also have a shake for breakfast and for lunch very often, including today. The shake for breakfast usually consist of a homemade blend of protein powder, milk, fruits, and ice. Lunch is more of a recovery shake loaded with protein. Best of luck.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Shakeology by beachbody is suppose to work wonders (I havent tried it b/c of the $$$ but I have yet to hear bad things about it).

http://www.shakeology.com/

I use EAS and LOVE it. It is wonderful as a smoothie with almond or coconut milk and frozen fruit. (I prefer the soy protien mix than the liquid already in the can...it tends to be cheaper that way).

http://eas.com/products
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology - which is more of health shake. It has tons of vitamins and nutrients along with protein. Gives me tons of energy and tastes great. I highly recommend. Helped me lose those last pesky 10 lbs!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about Shakeology and all the benefits in loosing weight, more energy, etc?
    I take one every day, and it's helping me a lot.
    Shakeolgoy.com/healthandlife
    Look at the videos and see what 100 doctors have to say, and is always motivational to see the success stories.
    Good luck!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can be very helpful, but for some it may create risk of kidney stones.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, by themselves, are not going to help you lose weight. Instead, they are simply an easy/quick way to get protein into your body if you are not eating enough protein. protein...whether from food or a shake...is important for several reasons. one reason is that it helps keep you fuller longer because it digests slower than sugar. some nutrition experts recommend eating some protein with every meal, including snacks, so its helpful to drink a protein shake at times if you're following this recommendation.

as far as why you're not losing weight, we'd need to know more information about what you're eating, drinking and what exercising you're doing. maybe you're not eating enough. maybe you're not drinking enough water or drinking too much stuff that interferes with weight loss. maybe you're exercising too much.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/03/i-cant-believe-its-not-a-milkshake/

These are the BE ALL of protein shakes. They're especially yummy when I'm having a craving for something sweet anyway-I can make it into 32 oz (ice, ice, and more ice along with my ingredients and a touch of xanthan gum) of pure deliciousness. I make them in several varieties: raspberry cheesecake (raspberries, 1 oz. low fat cream cheese, cottage cheese, protein, 1/2 c. milk-I use milk instead of water in the recipe-a little stevia, a dash of cinnamon, and 1/3 of a package of teddy grahams crunched up and mixed in); chocolate peanut butter; strawberry cheesecake; strawberry pie (no cream cheese, but the rest the same as raspberry cheesecake), oatmeal cookie, peanut butter cookie, etc. They're SO GOOD.
  • laurendough
    Options
    protein shakes will not really help with your energy levels. Eating sweet potatoes as a snack before workouts will help you with energy, and it might help get your metabolism going.
  • Lockettangl
    Options
    You need to have a balance meal plan that will give you the protein and carb you need to keep your energy level up. I agree with "NateKorpusik", you have to put back what you take out and that is why a balance meal plan with one shake a day has worked for me. I have lost a total of 11 pounds in 1month & 1/2. I started at 139 now I am 128. Keep up the cardio but also include a good meal plan and you will success with the weight loss and enery level you want. By the way, I also use the Why protein by 'On".
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Diary is very nice, not sure why you are not losing weight.

Could just be that your calories go up and down too much and your body is confused on what you want it to do. Try to be more consistent with the intake and calorie burn so your body knows what to give up.

Since you are already eating back your calories, if after about 2 weeks of being more consistent doesn't work, try eating alittle less of the exercise calories and then give it another couple of weeks.

Your protein could be better and would help with keeping you fuller longer and building lean muscle so yeah unless you have a medical reason why not to then more protein is great. Go with Whey protein.

I didn't check your water but make sure you are getting at least 64oz and if drinking soda, give it up that will really hurt your progress, even diet soda.

You Can Do It.
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    Hey Sis

I'm with Stanvoodoo.

Did you notice that on your food diary, you eat MORE food and snack less when you workout more? The higher your calorie burn the less 'bad' snacks you seem to be eating. I have no idea why that is. Maybe you feel you've worked so hard, that you are not going to ruin it.

It mightn't hurt to watch your portion sizes in case they are creeping up. That happens me all the time, so I split my meals and eat them and if I'm still hungry I go back and get the second half. If I sit down to all of it, I'll eat all of it regardless.

Are you eating regularly? I like the timings you've put in your diary, but they imply that there are times of the day where you have BIG gaps between meals/snacks.

Drink more water - you told me that!
  • ZonePerfect
    Options
    hsh0927, we're happy to hear you're an EAS fan! Check out our online Outlet Store for discounts at http://abbottstore.com/eassale ~Brittany @EAS