Hypothyroidism/Hasimotos

Options
Hi all,

I have had Hasimotos for as long as I can remember. I take over 100 mg of levothyroxin every day, but I feel like the weight is so slow to come off. I already KNOW that this is a result of the thyroid disorder, but does anyone know of anything else that could help with weightloss besides diet & exercise?

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be much help, but I certainly sympathize. It's just not fair!! My mother-in-law struggles with thyroid issues and is trying to lose weight. I watched her log under 1000 cals a day exercise regularly, and still gain weight! (and she was being honest with her food log.) She kept a written log, along with writing down her daily weigh-in, and took it to her doctor. He immediately said that something was out of balance, and tested and adjusted her levels. I'm not sure he would have taken her so seriously if she had not gone in with all the documentation of what was going on. Maybe doing something like that would help!

I wish you luck.
  • sarahofsteel
    sarahofsteel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, take 75mg of levothyroxin. I'd be interested in this, but I suspect that it just takes longer and slower results. You're only competing with yourself, and I think it just adds to the frustration to expect the same results that others get. The important thing is that weight loss happens, and if it takes a little longer then it's worth the wait.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too and would love to know if anyone has any suggestions. Here are the ones I've heard so far.

Eat small snacks between small meals (i.e. not too much food at once)
    Eat foods rich in selenium and iodine (both important for converting thyroxine to the active hormone)
    Avoid raw cabbage, coleslaw etc
    Avoid cauliflower and similar veg when eating iodine rich foods, such as fish.
    Exercise several times a day, even if it is just a 10 minute walk

Other than that, I have just come to accept that it will take longer to lose weight than most people. If anyone else has any insight, I would be very interested to hear.