Walking before C25k

lfcutie
lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
So i tried the C25k because i really want to start running/jogging a 5k eventually....i tried it a couple years back and couldn't even do a week! I want to try again but don't want to disappoint myself.....any tips before I start like walking a couple weeks to get my stamina up since i literally sit at a desk all day....Thanks!!!

Replies

• My only tip is to go as slow as you need to. Seriously. As slow as it takes to finish the run interval without stopping. Your stamina and speed will build up naturally over time.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    i think you should just try it, but go at a speed that allows you to complete it. even if it's someone else's walking pace, if you're jogging it, it's working!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes... It's amazing what a difference the right pair of shoes can make. Running doesn't have to hurt! Good luck!! You can do it!! I did C25K this year too - and 4 months later I'm still running (and actually liking it!!)
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Runner's World has a similar plan - Run Your Butt Off - and they recommend that you be able to walk 30 minutes 4 times a week comfortably before starting the running segments - in fact, that's their week 1. I think this is a minimum - you probably want to be walking for several weeks if you're starting fairly sedentary. Besides, walking is fabulous exercise - you may just want to stick with the walking and forget about the running! Walking is much easier to sustain as well.
  • Are you able to walk for an hour comfortably, without any real effort on flat ground? If not, then try building yourself up to that before you try running. If so, then I'd think you should be ok. Just make sure to do an easy, slow jog. Caveat: I'm NOT a professional, but that's my educated guess.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    I did my own modified version of C25K (mostly because I am not good at taking directions from a voice on my iPod lol) but I found it best to ease into it first by walking. My cousin did the program before me and she said that when she started instead of jogging, she walked really fast and then slowed down to a normal walk during the "walk" times and that made it easier to build up to the jogging/running aspect. Good luck :)
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS :) HOPEFULLY SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE I CAN DO MY FIRST 5K :)
This discussion has been closed.