Money spent on New Clothes

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
How much have you guys spent on buying new clothes to fit the new you?
I think I've spent at least $500. That includes alterations on my old stuff and TONS of secondhand store shopping.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Since I started this when I realized my current clothes didn't fit well, I've spent nothing. :smile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have no idea. A lot.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Definitely not as much as I should... My clothes are fitting like hell but I am a cheapskate.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Definitely not as much as I should... My clothes are fitting like hell but I am a cheapskate.

This :(
  • chetzer
    chetzer Posts: 13
    Options
    i haven't bought any new clothes, can't afford them. But I did buy a belt. LOL i want to wait until i am done lossing to redue my pants collection.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Easily several hundred $$ but I have bought a TON of clothes because I scour the clearance racks and was always on the lookout for the next size smaller :-)
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    ^^This. I had to dig back into my closet to scrounge up some clothes, but I really need to hit a few resale/vintage shops in the worst possible way. Really, I'd rather buy new running shoes for the half marathon that I'm training for in February.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Let's see...llllllllll (11 dresses - I've worn about 6 of them one time each since New Year's). 3 pairs of shorts. 6 pairs of shoes (yes, I lost "weight" in my feet), about 6 tank tops, 6 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 4 skirts....probably about $1200. I've shrunken out of one skirt, so I wore it about twice before it was too big...Definitely going to visit the consignment shops with my ridiculous wardrobe...Last time I made about $30 for turning in a dress and two dress shirts. I think I have a shopping problem. So excited to buy stuff because it fits - regardless of whether or not I actually have a place to wear it to! haha
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I've spent a fortune on elastic!!! Having lost 7" from my waist I have been pulling elastic through the waistbands of all my skirts and trousers so that I can get some more wear out of them before I replace them with new. Hope to be able to get into a new pair of size 14 jeans before Xmas!
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I probably spend about $100 each month on clothes for myself. I'm an expert at finding sales and clearances though, so $100 buys me a lot. I'm sitting at around 250 shirts right now - I really like new clothes.

I do maintain my closet though so I buy stuff in a new size and give away stuff that's too big.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    OMG - I don't want to know!! That much. :noway:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    How do you sew it in? I work in a tailoring shop so I've picked up a bit of skills but so far I just sew it in kinda ghetto..lol. I've also "tapered" my jeans legs...so now the side seams are kinda around the front lol.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    How do I sew it in?

I just cut a slit on both ends of the waistband (inside the garment), I then put a large safety pin on the end of the elastic and pull it through the first slit all the way through the waistband till it comes out the other end . I then sew the two ends up. Secure the two ends with safety pins first and try on for comfort before you sew. Easy Peasy!!! Saves a lot of money while you are still trying to lose weight.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm really making an effort not to buy new clothes until I'm at my goal. So far I've bought a new pair of exercise shorts because my old ones were falling off. It was distracting having to constantly pull them back up while on the elliptical. I also had to buy a new sports bra and some new regular bras, but I spent about $35 total for those. I did buy some yoga pants in XS because they were on sale for $5. It was justifiable. The rest of my clothing is gigantic on me, but I'm just trying to tough it out.

I am buying a corset for my birthday. But it's second hand and will still fit me when I'm done losing weight.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Maybe about $250 in the past 8 months. I'm the epitome of cheap and over 90% of my huge (over 50 skirts, 30 shirts, 2 bathing suits, 6 pairs of pants, 6 dresses) wardrobe came from thrift stores
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm really making an effort not to buy new clothes until I'm at my goal. So far I've bought a new pair of exercise shorts because my old ones were falling off. It was distracting having to constantly pull them back up while on the elliptical. I also had to buy a new sports bra and some new regular bras, but I spent about $35 total for those. I did buy some yoga pants in XS because they were on sale for $5. It was justifiable. The rest of my clothing is gigantic on me, but I'm just trying to tough it out.

Similar situation here; the only new clothes I've bought have been bras and sports gear. I have several wardrobes full of clothes which I want to get back into/have been getting back into, I really don't need to buy anything new....and when I do want a new dress or something, I'll make it (I prefer my own clothes to shop-bought ones)!
    I am buying a corset for my birthday. But it's second hand and will still fit me when I'm done losing weight.

I'm aiming to get into my 23" corsets by the end of the year....I may make some new ones to celebrate though - I've just bought some gorgeous new silk for just such an occasion! :laugh:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

I'm aiming to get into my 23" corsets by the end of the year....I may make some new ones to celebrate though - I've just bought some gorgeous new silk for just such an occasion! :laugh:
    I may be a bit ambitious, but I'm getting a 20" Deadlygirlz (old style) from someone on lj. I have a 28" natural waist now, I figure it's not unreasonable to have a 24" natural waist once I'm done. Oh, and you better post pictures of the one you make with the new silk!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    $200-$300, which is a lot because the new stuff I bought is getting too big on me. I can't wait til I reach my goal so I can buy cloths for keeps!
    You make your own corsets? That is awesome!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Chalk up another for only buying underwear and sports gear. Though I did manage to spend £80 just on two bras, one with matching knickers :blushing:

Despite being 23lb down I haven't actually lost a whole dress size yet, though I can fit into a lot more stuff in my wardrobe - I was probably kidding myself about what size I was for a long time.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I may be a bit ambitious, but I'm getting a 20" Deadlygirlz (old style) from someone on lj. I have a 28" natural waist now, I figure it's not unreasonable to have a 24" natural waist once I'm done. Oh, and you better post pictures of the one you make with the new silk!

Not unreasonable at all! I've lost 4" from my waist so far (now at 30"), so all my 25s fit really well again...although my larger ones are too big - I'm not sure whether to sell them or to just use them in photoshoots! The only thing I'm finding now however, is that I'm nowhere near as squishy as I was - my waist actually has pretty firm muscles now! Not so good for corseting! :laugh:

I'll post pics of new silk corsets if you do the same with your DG! :bigsmile:
    You make your own corsets? That is awesome!

I do indeed, WithChaco! Been doing it for over a decade now! My website URL is in my profile if you want to look at some of them!

Oh, and I must say that Chaco looks gorgeous! :love:
    Though I did manage to spend £80 just on two bras, one with matching knickers

It's so easily done though! I don't think I've ever spent less than about £30 on a bra!