Too much muscle confusion = plateau?

Options
I'm 11 months into P90X Lean/Lean + and I've hit a plateau that's lasted over 3 months already. Isn't the "muscle confusion" in this program supposed to PREVENT plateauing?

I started at 189 lbs and I'm currently 164 lbs. I'm 5'2". Now, I've lost a total of 15 inches from my chest, waist, and hips, but I expected to be "done" with losing and shift to maintenance by now, but I still have some thigh/hip jiggle that I want to get rid of. I started with eating 1200 calories. Months ago I started getting headaches and irritated, so I upped my calories, which helped. Now I'm eating most of my exercise calories back but I'm not where I want to be yet. I'm frustrated, but don't want to give up because I have made alot of progress so far.

So, my question is should I abandon P90X? Should I cut the weights and focus on cardio for a few weeks? Appreciate your feedback...

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you need to eat more
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

That would be my guess!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I would guess this as well. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be.

I would also try switching it up and do a round of classic or doubles, as the program is more effective with those version than it is with the lean version. Don't stop doing strength training, but you can do different types of exercise if you wish.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd say to add some cardio for a true exercise change up. I know P90X incorporates a variety of exercises, but totally switching to something else for awhile may be the "confusion" you need.

I don't know on your calories, but I didn't look at your diary. Perhaps, go through the MFP goals again with your new weight and see what it puts out. Also, what's your weekly loss goal at? Perhaps adjust that.

Congrats on the progress you've made!
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say eat more because I can see that you said you upped your calorie intake, and are eating back your exercised calories. I suggest eating the same as you have been, and stop exercising for 2 weeks. Sounds risky, I know, but it works for me.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your trouble area is the same as mine (thighs and hips). I have found those areas to be VERY stubborn! Back in high school, it took about a year and a half to two years for those areas to finally catch up with the rest of my body and get with the program. I am on round 2 of P90x and have lost 25 pounds up top but am waiting for the bottom half to catch up. My guess is that it will take another year or so for that to happen, and I will likely have to incorporate some walking/running along with the P90X to get that stubborn jiggle to move. If upping your calories doesn't work, I would definitely try changing things up a bit by adding walking into the mix along with P90X. I don't think too much muscle confusion is your problem. Best of luck!
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You're so close to finishing P90X! I say you should stick through with the rest of the program and just work your hardest. After you're done P90X, you can look into other programs or make your own workout routine. Just don't give up let your hard work go to waste!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You're so close to finishing P90X! I say you should stick through with the rest of the program and just work your hardest. After you're done P90X, you can look into other programs or make your own workout routine. Just don't give up let your hard work go to waste!

11 months would have here having completed the program 3 and 2/3 times (the program is 3 months long)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you've plateaued WRT weight loss, P90X is not the problem at heart. Try just maintaining your weight for a couple weeks, and then getting back into it. Sometimes your body just needs time to re-charge/recuperate after cutting calories for so long.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it!
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options

11 months would have here having completed the program 3 and 2/3 times (the program is 3 months long)

Whoops! I read 11 weeks. If you've done P90X for 11 months, try a different program!
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I jumped from p90x (3 passes) to Chalean Extreme. Its nice to regain some of your life back. Its not as intense as p90x but you work just as hard (differently though). I too would recommend doing something different, even if its just to get yourself mentally back into p90x.

Great work so far BTW.