5-7 pounds from goal - any advice?

Options
I'm just under 5'3", currently 120-122 pounds. Want to get back to about 115. I was 108-115 this time last year, and need to at least fit back into my clothes. I don't use MFP for my calorie journal, so I can't refer you to my diary here. (I have a fitbit, which links to loseit.) I workout 4-6 days a week, trying to get more protein, etc.

Would really love to hear from others in the position, or just what others have to suggest.

Cici

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would make sure your deficit is not too large (aim for 0.5 lbs/week, 250 cal deficit/day) and you can try switching up your routine a bit. If you don't lift weights, I would add them to your regular routine as well. Good luck.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a 250-500 calorie/day calorie deficit (0.5 - 1.0 lb per week loss). This will presumably be a small increase from what you've been doing so far. As you approach your goal weight, you should be approaching your maintenance calories. If it all goes like clockwork, you will increasing your calories to the maintenance level just as you reach your goal weight.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I;m 5'2 and i do a lot of weight lifting so my goal is 125. I got down to 115-120 last year but didn't lift weights and I was very sickly looking so I changed up my exercise. My advice to you is to get equal amounts protein and carbs and when I say carbs I mean only whole grains. Eat only clean healthy foods, not of the processed junk and limit yourself to one cheat MEAL a week. If you aren't strength training already I would also reccomend that. Also you could do your workouts in the morning everday if you have time. That is what helped me a lot.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would use the journal - it can only help you see what your weaknesses are/where you can improve.

If you use something else to journal, consider that you may be combo - eating too little/exercising too much for your body to be comfortable with relinquishing additional fat stores it currently has. If you do keep a journal, what worked for me for my last 15 or so lbs was to eat a little bit more every week (Net 1300/day for a week; then 1400; then 1500) and then drop back down to 1250 and work my way back up. (Note that's NET calories- 1300 + Exercise burn)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I;m 5'2 and i do a lot of weight lifting so my goal is 125. I got down to 115-120 last year but didn't lift weights and I was very sickly looking so I changed up my exercise. My advice to you is to get equal amounts protein and carbs and when I say carbs I mean only whole grains. Eat only clean healthy foods, not of the processed junk and limit yourself to one cheat MEAL a week. If you aren't strength training already I would also reccomend that. Also you could do your workouts in the morning everday if you have time. That is what helped me a lot.

Great advice...I usually have a cheat day once a week now but I've noticed it was tough today to start eating right again lol.

I know that changing up your calorie intake can also help to get over those plateau's. (Zig zagging is the term)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My advice is something I found out when reading about plateaus. You need to get your body to recognize your new weight once you reach it as your normal weight or it will fight to take you back to the last weight it sees as your normal weight. How do you do this you ask. You need to make sure you maintain your goal weight for at least 2 months. Even losing more will mess this up and you will need to start over. Maintaining means staying within 1-2 pounds of that weight for at least 2 months. Once you do this your body will fight to help you maintain this weight. Sometimes this time of maintenance is as hard as losing the weiight itself depending on how much you lost since the last time you body set its weight. You probably want advice about how to lose the last few pounds but once you do that I suspect you don't want it to come back again. Good luck.
  • Cici2329
    Cici2329 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate what everyone has to say.

Cici
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We are sisters! I am same height/weight and looking toward the same goal.
    I am trying to keep my deficit around 250-300 cals and am now embarking on week 2 with a big focus on strength training and some classes I have access that are mainly circuit training. I had spent 6+ weeks eating healthfully with around the same deficit but focused largely on cardio, specifically distance running, and I saw no results at all. Not an inch, not a pound. So logic (and MFP Intel) suggests I need to change it up.
    I had also been indulging in alcohol more than I typically would, with quite a run of summer birthdays, family gatherings, etc - summertime on the patio makes it hard to resist, and that certainly can't have helped my cause :tongue:
    So I'm going to be sure I cut right back on that as well, it can't hurt.

Keep me posted on your progress, and good luck!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

Great advice...I usually have a cheat day once a week now but I've noticed it was tough today to start eating right again lol.

I know that changing up your calorie intake can also help to get over those plateau's. (Zig zagging is the term)

i agree with zigzagging! had worked really well for me! i used to have one cheat meal every 1-2 weeks when i was trying to lose weight! kept me sane and kept my body guessing!

ive just got into strength training- so good advice to get started straight away.