Excursive during pregnancy

Options
I'm only 5 weeks pregnant and I don't workout at all. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on good pregnancy fitness dvd's. I gained 60 lbs. with my DS and have only lost 20 of it. I don't want to do that again this time. Any help would be great!!

Mari

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean, but what does excursive mean?

I believe Jazzercise has a pregnant and post-baby DVD. But you should probably check with your doctor first.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Check w/ your dr 1st to get the ok-walking is great so is swimming.I would look online at pregnancy dvd's-I've heard of prenatal yoga ones before.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    Now I've never been pregnant so I'm just throwing things out there...

If you have access to a pool, maybe light swimming would be helpful.
    Also, exercise bikes since they don't cause movement of the belly?
    I KNOW they have pregnant yoga DVDs, and in my classes there are only a few twists you can't do being pregnant.
    Walking also!

Best of luck with your baby! :)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean, but what does excursive mean?

I believe Jazzercise has a pregnant and post-baby DVD. But you should probably check with your doctor first.

Not the OP, but come on, clearly she meant exercise and had a typo.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Swimming and walking are good. Generally nothing that gets your heart rate over 130, and also no to the bike riding in general - or things involving balance because pregnancy alters your center of gravity and can mess with your balance.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    Swimming and walking are good. Generally nothing that gets your heart rate over 130, and also no to the bike riding in general - or things involving balance because pregnancy alters your center of gravity and can mess with your balance.

Sorry I wasn't clear, how about stationary bikes?
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Really? No bike riding? Even early on? I'm not pregnant yet, but we're trying and I love bike riding. That kind of bums me out. Wow, nothing over 130.....for me that's pretty much just walking.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

I would think stationary are ok. The ones at my gym anyway are pretty sturdy and squat....so even if you got woosy you could just hold on, I can't imagine falling off of those. But even if, there are always those kind that are more like sitting. I'm not sure the name of them but they more like sitting in a chair and pedaling vs. sitting up on a bike-like structure.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant my doctor told me I could do anything I was doing before, but to keep my hr undrr 140, we negotiated this because I was used to getting my hr up over 190 when I taught my step class. She did say that I should stop road biking at around 6 months because of the balance thing. She told me no twisting, no crunched, yes to planks because I was used to them. Basically, if you are newly pregnant and were basically stagnant before hand walk, swim, stationary bike, low heart rate, low impact, and consult your doctor.
  • Ladibug23
    Ladibug23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ya I love my iPhone but sometimes I hate autocorrect :-) My cousin's husband was trying to add something about Toys R Us on his Facebook status and it came out Tits R us :) That was hilarious!!!

I don't have ready access to a pool so I'll probably stick to the treadmill, it's good to know about the heart rate though. I may try prenatal yoga as well :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant my doctor told me I could do anything I was doing before, but to keep my hr undrr 140, we negotiated this because I was used to getting my hr up over 190 when I taught my step class. She did say that I should stop road biking at around 6 months because of the balance thing. She told me no twisting, no crunched, yes to planks because I was used to them. Basically, if you are newly pregnant and were basically stagnant before hand walk, swim, stationary bike, low heart rate, low impact, and consult your doctor.

My doctor never said anything about my heart rate with either of my kids, but I lived out in the sticks. LOL They basically told me to continue doing whatever I was doing before. WIth my son I did A LOT of walking (I didn't have a car at the time) and my daughter I was working in a warehouse setting, so I was doing A LOT of heavy lifting. With my daughter, my doc advised me to stop the heavy lifting once my balance became an issue. I stopped lifting around 7.5 months or somewhere around there.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Yes I think anything you can't fall off is fine :)
    Re: the heart rate - just a very general guide from my OB - I'm quite sure people vary with this depending on age and previous condition, but without doctors advice, it's a general guide.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i would double check with your doctor. normally if u hadnt started a workout plan prior to pregnancy most doctors dont want u to start a high level or high intensity work out. my doctor told me to just walk.