Hypothyroidism

Options
Hi

I'm wondering if there is anyone that has taken a break from their thyroid medication.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid over 11 years ago and have taken my medication daily without fail.

I have a difficult and slow time losing weight.

I stopped taking my synthroid 7 days ago to give my body a break and to see what will happen. I am quite familiar with the symptoms and plan on starting again as soon as I notice any. So far I am feeling good. I want to see if eating clean and regular exercise alone will help.

I go every three months for bloodwork and my Dr. is aware of the frustration I have with my weight.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken a break from their thyroid meds and what you noticed?

Thanks
Kaz

Replies

• redi2
    redi2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I did stop taking my thyroid pills in July. I thought since I was doing so good losing weight and had stopped with my high blood pressure meds that it would be ok.. I kept everything else the same and instead of losing I went up 4 pounds. I went back on my pills and am now again back to losing a 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week. I lost the month of July, since I had to lose those 4 pounds again.

I hope you have better luck. :)
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I was so frustrated with my synthetic thyroid! And all the symptoms that go along wih it! My weight constantly fluxuating, hair loss, headaches, you name it I had it!!

I finally broke down and went to a naturopathic doctor. She put me on Naturethroid. My tsh, t3 and t4 levels finally went back into the normal range, I lost some of the weight I was carrying from it and overall I felt much healthier!

http://www.nature-throid.com/

I hope that helps.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I'm newly diagnosed hypothyroid and still trying to find the correct dosage...however my mom and my aunts are all hypothyroid and they all managed to lose a significant amount of weight while still taking synthroid. In fact, I've been told that is why I am not able to get below a certain weight no matter what I do...because I need the synthroid.

What has your physician advised you as far as discontinuing the treatment? My mom lives a lifestyle of clean eating and works out 4-5 days a week and her weight now only fluctuates a good 5 pounds from her goal. She also had a parathyroidectomy a few years back.

I would definitely consult with your physician about discontinuing the synthroid before you do that. Also, you stated he is aware that you're aggravated by the weight issue, but has he offered any other suggestions for you?

There could be other underlying hormonal imbalances that are going on as well that will make weight loss difficult. I also have PCOS (polycystic overy syndrome) and that causes issues with my weight loss as well.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I was so frustrated with my synthetic thyroid! And all the symptoms that go along wih it! My weight constantly fluxuating, hair loss, headaches, you name it I had it!!

I finally broke down and went to a naturopathic doctor. She put me on Naturethroid. My tsh, t3 and t4 levels finally went back into the normal range, I lost some of the weight I was carrying from it and overall I felt much healthier!

http://www.nature-throid.com/

I hope that helps.

Thank you for this tip!! I have thought very seriously about seeing a naturopathic doctor! I will definitely check into the Naturethroid as well.
  • Grettles
    Grettles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kazzy -

It's unlikely that stopping your meds is going to help anything. In fact, it will almost certainly hurt. It will take several weeks for you to feel bad enough to realize it and then several more weeks to get the replacement hormone back in your system. I would try two other things first:

1. Find out what your numbers are (TSH, T4, T3) and do some research. Could be your doc isn't keeping you in the range you need to be in. There is lots of good information thyroid-info.com and stopthethyroidmadness.com.

2. Consider trying a natural replacement like Naturethroid or Armour. I was diagnosed several years ago and was put on Synthroid. We didn't get along. I switched to Armour and was much happier.

Good luck!
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been curious but haven't really had time to look into it...

I recently found out that my TSH is high. I think it was 4.9? I went in the evening. I read it's higher in the morning, especially if you don't eat. I haven't seen a doctor about it (I had it tested at the clinic where they only test, they don't give medication) but I am trying to decide if I should. My sister started seeing a doctor about her high TSH (she said it was about 5 the first time she went but when she tested in the morning after fasting it was closer to 14) but she hasn't said anything really other than they are still working on getting medication dosage. I guess I was wondering if it helped people with their symptoms and if it is worth going? I looked at the information for my sisters medication and it says a side effect could be weight loss but I have read that people actually gain weight and I don't want to gain weight.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

@ Grettles - I have thought about what you said before I stopped and took the leap anyway.

My Dr. only tests my T4.

I have heard lots of good things about Armour so I think that the next step for me is to consider seeing a natural path Dr.

@airycha - I would recommend seeing your Dr. and not letting it go undiagnosed.

Kaz
  • Grettles
    Options
    Airycha -
    My TSH was well over 30 by the time they figured out what was going on with me and I felt like death on a q-tip. I could barely function. I'd fall asleep sitting up, in a well-lit room, in mid-conversation. Everything hurt. I'd gained 30 pounds. I was a disaster.

Kazzy -
    I'm sure the above is why I reacted to "stop taking meds and see what happens" with horror. :-) The thought of going back to that makes me shudder.

Best of luck!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started taking Eltroxin yesterday. It all caught up with me on my run Tuesday when it took me 53 minutes with a lot of walk breaks to do my usual no walk breaks 40 minute run. So that was the end of experimenting.

I get so frustrated between the hypothyroidism and the peri-menopause looming.

I've recommitted to not only my thyroid meds but to my eating and workouts and I know that planning menus and exercise is key to success.

Giving up isn't an option.

Kazzy
  • Grettles
    Options
    I started taking Eltroxin yesterday. It all caught up with me on my run Tuesday when it took me 53 minutes with a lot of walk breaks to do my usual no walk breaks 40 minute run. So that was the end of experimenting.

I get so frustrated between the hypothyroidism and the peri-menopause looming.

I've recommitted to not only my thyroid meds but to my eating and workouts and I know that planning menus and exercise is key to success.

Giving up isn't an option.

I hear you on the being frustrated thing. Hang in there!

Kazzy