Aerobics with a head cold?

Options
I feel sick as a dog. All I want to do is lay down and sleep. I missed my workout yesterday because of this cold, and the day before because of Saturday's busy schedule. So I also feel like a lazy bum.
I normally do 35 minutes of an aerobics video, this is week 2 of getting back in shape so nothing incredibly intense but enough to leave me breathless and exhausted.
Do I push through and try to get it done, or give in and let my body work on fighting the cold for another day? I don't want to be lazy, but I also don't want to be sick any longer than I have to, it's hard to chase around kids when you feel this crappy.
Advice please?

Replies

• Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I use the rule of thumb If the congestion is above the neck work it out if it's below the neck - rest.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i usually run when i have a head cold. I'll sweat out the cold. if your gym has a sauna sit in that for 10 minutes or so (not too long) i did that cause i had a cold the day before i had to have surgery and i couldnt have a cold and have surgery but i couldn't put it off. so i ran, sat in the sauna and was good as new the next day :)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use the rule of thumb If the congestion is above the neck work it out if it's below the neck - rest.

^This! I would at least TRY working out - nothing saying you can't stop after 10 minutes if you just aren't feeling it. Chances are though, that once you start you will end up finishing, and maybe even feel a little better for it. It could give you some more energy!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the super quick replies! I'm new to this whole taking care of my body thing, so any help is really appreciated.
    I'll go give it a shot, hopefully it helps. That sauna idea sounds so nice it makes me drool. I feel like my throat is a desert, prickly cactus and all. Alas, my car is in the shop so I'm stuck with work out videos from netflix.
    Thanks again!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, even when I have a head cold (or a sinus infection which I get often) I still get up and at least take my dogs for a walk. I always tell myself "15minutes of walking and you can stop" But I usually end up feeling a bit better and walking longer.

Just pay attention to your body, it will tell you if it has had to much :D
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I'd say give it a go. If you're phelm-y (sp?) and you find it hard to breathe if you're doing something too intense, don't do it.. i find it just makes it more difficult. But a walk or something light couldn't hurt.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely not noticing the head cold as much now...I do feel better, even if mostly mentally better about not excusing myself from my commitment.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    what about Zumba? I have my class tonight and I loath to miss but I have a wicked sinus infection and feel like doody.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'll go against the grain. If I have a head cold I feel lousy and tired, too. So I let my body rest. Your overall weight loss and health aren't going to suffer because you take a break from exercise for a couple of days. Sleep is a wonderful healer! If you feel like working out, that's great. But I would not drag myself out of my sick bed to go to the gym.:smile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    When I have a mild cold I usually push through it and still do my cardio, though it may not be as intensely and/or as long. And I've also noticed that if I do that I feel better afterwards.