:-(

Options
So I've been doing cardio via my workout dvds for like a month now, but I still huff and puff when going up the stairs to my apartment...what am I doing wrong? I am trying to get into shape.

Replies

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can run a 50K ultra marathon, but struggle to go up a few flights of stairs!! REALLY!! :noway:
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You're still conditioning...try breathing in for a count of 4, then breathing out for a count of 4 during your workout...thats how a lot of cyclist do it. Improves lung capacity tremendously. I worked my way from 4 to 8 and luv how much better I feel!
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i bet if you started running up and down your stairs several times as part of your workout, it would start getting easier! stairs are tough, tho. i get tired after 3 flights; yet i can play an hour of soccer, rollerblade for 40 min, and run on the elliptical for 30. it's just a different muscle movement, that's all :o)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ^this. Even tho you're doing dvd's stairs use your muscles and oxygen differently.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, do MORE stairs. Just as you condition and train yourself to work out on the elliptical, bike and treadmill, you have to condition your muscles to do stairs. Going up stairs uses a different group of muscles. You don't have to do stairs quickly, just do more... and when you think you're just gonna die, push for 3 more steps before taking a break. Soon you'll be flying up those stairs.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys...I literally wanted to collapse after I FINALLY made it to the 3rd floor!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    i bet if you started running up and down your stairs several times as part of your workout, it would start getting easier! stairs are tough, tho. i get tired after 3 flights; yet i can play an hour of soccer, rollerblade for 40 min, and run on the elliptical for 30. it's just a different muscle movement, that's all :o)

Totally agree
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Because stairs effing suck. A couple of years ago I moved to an apartment on the second floor and was out of breath when I reached the top. After doing that for a couple of months, it was way easier, especially since I'm forgetful and always had to go back out to my car for stuff. Try going up and down as part of your workout!
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you do HIIT it will increase your VO2 max, so you'll be huffing and puffing less when you take the stairs.

There are different types of cardio fitness, that's all. No reason to feel down. You should be proud of yourself for sticking with your cardio exercise.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm def gonna start doing the stairs as much as I can now
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can do the stairs in our house fine but any more than that and I am out of breath! I had a class on the 4th floor of a building and getting up the stairs was tough! Even people who worked out would say the stairs were terrible.
  • kimeelicious
    kimeelicious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this! I felt the same way too, but I'm so happy to have read all these great replies! I'm hittin the stairs starting tomorrow - thanks everyone for weighing in! (okay, that was a bad pun...)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    lol its probably just different. I consider myself in pretty good shape and stairs still knock the wind outta me too!