Salad ideas....? I'm getting bored!

Options
I have been eating a lot of salad lately and I am getting bored with it. I usually buy the iceberg salad mix in a bag... I think the brand is Dole. Anyway, I have noticed that no matter what I put on my salads they never taste as good as the salads you get at restaurants.... what's the deal? What is their secret? LoL. I LOVE salads from Subway. Yet, if I make a salad at home and put the same things on it that I get on a Subway salad, it does not taste as good! lol

Anyway, I was just wondering what toppings you all put on your salads. I need some new ideas!

Replies

• kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Spinach, mandarin oranges (the canned kind, either canned in water or no sugar added), raspberries, a handful of slivered almonds, and a raspberry vinaigrette. If you aren't lactose intolerant (I am... ), add goat cheese or feta as an extra. Very tasty!

Edit: as for not tasting as good... I think the trick is that when you eat out, you don't have to make it! lol, j/k
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    they don't taste as good as restaurants because restaurants put bacon and all that good stuff in it. :) Try getting the romaine lettuce mixes, then just adding stuff. I'll get the romaine and baby red mix, it comes in a big container, and then i'll add tomatoe, cucumber, celery and sometimes boiled egg. It's really good.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    I put shredded pepperjack cheese, pumpkin seeds, honey roasted sunflower seeds, chicken breast, peas (not canned ones), and chipotle ranch (or spicy ranch). YUM!!!! I've also in the past put venison sausage chunks, croutons, cauliflower (don't like raw broccoli so you'll never see me suggest that unless it's steamed!), etc. on it.
  • pfrancis246
    Options
    I love to add berries to my salad like strawberries, blueberries and rasberries. Also, adding different cheeses like goat cheese and gorgonzola makes it delicous. Experiment with diffrent dressings and greens as well. Spring mix has much more variety and is better for you. Once you switch you won't miss the iceberg.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love dried cranberries and red onions on my salad!!
  • JWoodyard07
    JWoodyard07 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually just get the head of lettuce, cut up a pepper, onion, english cucumber, take fat free shredded cheese, wonton strips, and add 4 oz of lean steak or chicken and put on low fat honey mustard dressing. I love it and could eat it everyday and I think it was only 300 calories and it filled me up til afternoon snack!
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lettuce in those tubs never seem to taste as good to me either. Buy the iceburg letter head (it's cheeper) and spinach and just mix up your toppings and dressings! :)
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    start with romaine lettuce! It is my favorite:) I think you should experiment with different veggies and see what you like. Plus if you make your own, you can change it up. I usually try to make a nice big salad and it lasts me several days.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I find iceburg lettuce never tastes good. it tastes like crunchy water.. i like romaine or raw spinach leaves ... chopped up cucumber - maybe a little cherry/grape tomato.. try fancier dressings - stick to types of vinegarettes for a calorie/carb wise option
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love salad, too! First, it's hard to make something taste as good as when someone else makes it. ::laugh: Second, iceburg is not the best choice for flavor or nutrients. I love the triple hearts blend from Fresh Express, along with baby spinach. For toppings, I mix it up between fruit, like blueberries, strawberries, apples, with walnuts and feta, or carrots, sugar snap peas, tomato, chickpeas, edamame, the possibilities are endless! I like to make a big salad over the weekend that I can pull from all week. I also focus on using a variety of toppings, and avoid dressing (I will sometimes put a bit of vinegar of a salad). Experiment! Good luck!
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love red onions on everything! lol
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i love cottage cheese for the dressing and sprinkle of sunflower seeds, and cherry tomatoes cucmbers and apples.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Try different mixed greens.
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    Try these (of course in moderation)

blue cheese or gorgonzola crumbles (just a teaspoon or two)
    dried cranberries or raisins
    thinly sliced almonds
    sunflower seeds
    radishes
    edamame
    blanched broccoli or cauliflower
    artichoke hearts
    a small side of cottage cheese
    tomato/cucumber diced
    2 oz of protein - I like flank steak or chicken
    frizzled onions (just a little sprinkle)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I suggest just trying to toss different types of salad to find what one is less boring than others. Mix it up here and there.
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    Spinach
    Shredded Mozzerella
    Sliced strawberries
    Crutons
    Brianna's blush wine vinagarette

Add a protien (Nuts, chicken, etc.)

So good!
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but salads are like that - they always taste so much better when someone else makes them!
  • kaytonp
    kaytonp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    spinach, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot, kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, cucumbers, bell peppers, balsamic vinaigrette, and low-fat cottage cheese....BIG salad, very filling. and delicious.