Exercising and a pacemaker

Options
Does anyone have a pacemaker and exercise regularly? I have one, and am doing 30DS, which involves a lot of jumping and other irritating things that I'd like to smack Jillian for, but it's causing some pain with the pacer because it is bouncing with me. I'm wondering if anyone that has this problem has been able to successfully tack that puppy down enough to not move during exercise? I refuse to quit exercising, so it's either me or this damn pacemaker!

Replies

• Sherrylynn69
    Sherrylynn69 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about that one. I sure wouldn't want to mess that thing up. I have
    heart problems also, and have to watch my pulse. I had open heart surgery 4 yrs ago.
    Please be careful....i know its hard, I have been trying really hard for the last month,
    I get so mad, that I am out of breath more now. good luck! friend me if you want.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating. I've had nothing but problems with this thing since I got it 2 years ago. My EP doc wants to move it to under the muscle, but I've already had 3 surgeries on it so he said that we should wait until the battery needs changed. That's 5 years from now O_O
    For the most part, I just hold it down with my hand when I'm doing the cardio, but it cuts into my exercise so it frustrates me.
  • Sherrylynn69
    Sherrylynn69 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine having to worry about that. I know its a possiblity i might have to have one
    someday? but i hope not. what hospital do you go to? i had my surgery at cleveland clinic.
    They are the only two hospitals in ohio, to do the surgery i had to have. What age did you
    have your first one put in?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I had mine done at UPMC in Pittsburgh. I had it put in at 39 due to a bad sinus node. Kept dropping my heart rate down into the 20s and would even cause my heart to pause for 5-7 seconds at a time.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Kept dropping my heart rate down into the 20s and would even cause my heart to pause for 5-7 seconds at a time.

BUMP

Mine does that too occasionally. It misses like every other beat (my HR is already very slow!) Luckily mine sorts itself out so I don't need a pacemaker yet and keeping my sodium up helps (wasn't expecting that advise from my cardiologist!)

I wonder if strapping might help. I don't know exactly where your pacemaker is so I don't know if strapping would work and if you could strap it you may need to put some padding underneath to provide enough pressure. I hope someone is able to help with suggestions.

I know I'm not much help but I wanted to bump your post so it will be seen :-)
  • dittiepe
    Options
    It's so irritating, I'm tempted to duct tape it. haha
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would follow up with your cardiologist or your primary care provider. Only because you have started an exercise routine so they can make recommendations or even adjustments to the pacer if needed.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I would follow up with your cardiologist or your primary care provider. Only because you have started an exercise routine so they can make recommendations or even adjustments to the pacer if needed.

Ditto, I've had my pacemaker since I was 3(I'm 25) and I haven't had any issues like that (then again I think mine is under the muscle) I have a complete heart block which required the pacemaker.
    Feel free to add me. I'm doing Jillian's Ripped in 30