Need to Lower Carb Intake

Options
So, according to my whole whopping one day of tracking. I need to lower my carb intake. I know it would only be worse on a regular day (I woke up at 11am today, which is not normal for me at all). However, I've read online that low in carb means higher in fat and I cannot really handle that trade-off as my cholesterol is not great. That means I'm trying to avoid things like cheese.

Any suggestions?

I know throwing out pop would be a good one, which I plan on doing anyway. :)

Note: I seriously love my carbs, so this is going to be tough for me >_< lol

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, it would be easier to offer low carb suggestions in place of some of your higher carb items.

A few general rules:
    - eat whole fruit instead of juice
    - eat plain greek yogurt with fruit instead of sugar packed yogurt
    - eat plain oatmeal with fresh fruit instead of instant packets
    - try a high fiber/protein/lower carb cereal like kashi go lean
    - replace rice with processed cauliflower
    - buy low calorie bread like nickels lite for 35 calories a slice
    - get plain popcorn instead of the high fat buttery stuff
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    How do I open my diary? (I'm a complete newbie here... I thought everyone could just see it! LOL)

Also, there isn't much to go off of there yet as I only have one day logged (today).

However, I know from my preferences and eating habits that my carb intake is WAY too high for the allowances that the site suggested for me. :(

EDIT: I think I figured out how to share my diary. It should be public now. :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well what I'll tell you is to stay away from highly processed "low carb/calorie" foods. Replace carbs with meat and veggies if you need to.

Highly processed food is great except it ends up being like a brick in your stomach. They say it's easier to destroy something than it is to build it but not in this case.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    If you open up your diary, it would be easier to offer low carb suggestions in place of some of your higher carb items.

A few general rules:

These are really good starting tips! Thank you!

I was wondering what I was going to do for breakfast since I didn't eat it today... I was looking up suggestions online, but everyone was preaching meat/bacon and eggs, which would be bad for my cholesterol.

Is greek yogurt with fruit added okay (e.g. chobani, sp?)? I had that as the first greek yogurt I've ever had last week, but it was peaches and not plain.

Is there a better alternative to pasta? Are the wheat noodles better at all?

(Sorry for all the questions!)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

A few general rules:

These are really good starting tips! Thank you!

I was wondering what I was going to do for breakfast since I didn't eat it today... I was looking up suggestions online, but everyone was preaching meat/bacon and eggs, which would be bad for my cholesterol.

Is greek yogurt with fruit added okay (e.g. chobani, sp?)? I had that as the first greek yogurt I've ever had last week, but it was peaches and not plain.

Is there a better alternative to pasta? Are the wheat noodles better at all?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

whole wheat or whole grain is always better than white. BUT read lables carfully not all things that call themselves whole wheat are not
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Well what I'll tell you is to stay away from highly processed "low carb/calorie" foods. Replace carbs with meat and veggies if you need to.

Highly processed food is great except it ends up being like a brick in your stomach. They say it's easier to destroy something than it is to build it but not in this case.

Thank you! I plan on eating a lot of veggies, but I was worried about eating too much meat. I know fish is probably the best choice, but the problem is I would buy processed/frozen fish and I'm not sure that's the way to go... I'll have to read some labels.

I also feel the need to mention I'm severely cooking impaired LOL